The Student Room Group

Do I get 2 attempts?

Sup guys. Bit unclear on this so some advice would be very much appreciated :smile:

My insurance choice for uni is Edinburgh for Chem Eng which is unusual to most other universities including my firm (Notts) as it is a 4 year BEng course.
If I end up going to Edinburgh, will I be allowed an extra attempt for applying to SWs/Internships? Im aware that doing a 4 year masters gives you that opportunity but im not sure if thats the same case for a 4 year bachelors. And therefore if I decide to a 5 year masters can I apply more than twice?

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daniel9998
Sup guys. Bit unclear on this so some advice would be very much appreciated :smile:

My insurance choice for uni is Edinburgh for Chem Eng which is unusual to most other universities including my firm (Notts) as it is a 4 year BEng course.
If I end up going to Edinburgh, will I be allowed an extra attempt for applying to SWs/Internships? Im aware that doing a 4 year masters gives you that opportunity but im not sure if thats the same case for a 4 year bachelors. And therefore if I decide to a 5 year masters can I apply more than twice?

Cheers

Theoretically, yes for the 4 year. You could go to uni with the intent of switching to a bachelors and apply straight away, if it doesn't work out you can reapply the next year If it does, you'll have to switch to the 3 year course if you manage to convert your SW.

In most circumstances, you'd have to follow the same path as everyone else. Which means, applying to SWs in 3rd year of a 5 year course, then doing an internship in the penultimate year (either by SW conversion or by application). Same thing for 4 year, except 2nd year is when you do SWs.

You can only really apply for these things if your graduation date on your CV lines up with the graduation dates banks are targeting - you can't flat out lie either, unless of course it's with intent to switch/shorten your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Theoretically, yes for the 4 year. You could go to uni with the intent of switching to a bachelors and apply straight away, if it doesn't work out you can reapply the next year If it does, you'll have to switch to the 3 year course if you manage to convert your SW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh doesn't have a 3 year course for Chem Eng, only 4 years for BEng. So if I applied for spring weeks first year and managed to convert my SW to an internship what would happen as I cant switch to a 3 year course?
Original post by Daniel9998
Edinburgh doesn't have a 3 year course for Chem Eng, only 4 years for BEng. So if I applied for spring weeks first year and managed to convert my SW to an internship what would happen as I cant switch to a 3 year course?

Ah, then you're going to have to wait until 2nd year - no way around it mate. It's fine though, just follow the path I outlined in my second paragraph above.

Before you ask, no it doesn't affect you by applying when you are supposed to for SWs/Internships. I know a few Scots on 5 year degrees that have applied for SWs/Internships at the correct times (3rd year for SW, 4th year for internships). If anything it gives you time to bolster your CV/application - you could become an exec of a society, lead various initiatives etc in those first 2/3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Ah, then you're going to have to wait until 2nd year - no way around it mate. It's fine though, just follow the path I outlined in my second paragraph above.

Before you ask, no it doesn't affect you by applying when you are supposed to for SWs/Internships. I know a few Scots on 5 year degrees that have applied for SWs/Internships at the correct times (3rd year for SW, 4th year for internships). If anything it gives you time to bolster your CV/application - you could become an exec of a society, lead various initiatives etc in those first 2/3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok. Yeh an extra year to prepare would be very nice.
Cheers man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending