The Student Room Group

Important question about resitting/reapplying etc to university, please help!

Hi everyone. I will try and keep this as brief as possible, but hopefully someone has the information I need.

I have got all 5 of my uni offers for 2016 entry, all BSC Economics:

-LSE, A*mathsAA, A further maths
-UCL, A*mathsAA
-Queen Mary, AAA
-Surrey, AAA
-Kent, BBB

I intend to put LSE as firm. However I am having trouble choosing my insurance. I would like to put UCL but am cautious about having two very high graded offers. I would then need to chose between Surrey or Queen Mary. However, I lack real passion for either of these universities compared to my top two. I am very (perhaps too much) influenced by league tables and as a result am determined to go to a top-5 university.

What I would like to know is if I put UCL and LSE down, but did not get an A* in maths, what are my options? Is it likely that Surrey or Queen Mary would be in clearing? Is it possible to reapply to LSE the following year to a different course that doesn't need the A*? If so, what would happen with personal statement, reference etc.

Also, can I choose my firm choice now and insurance at a later date? From what I can find I cannot... I would not be rushing into the decision if it wasn't for the fact I would like to start applying for accomodation, and LSE requires it to be a firm choice first.

I will appreciate any advice regarding this issue.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Samuelcd
Hi everyone. I will try and keep this as brief as possible, but hopefully someone has the information I need.

I have got all 5 of my uni offers for 2016 entry, all BSC Economics:

-LSE, A*mathsAA, A further maths
-UCL, A*mathsAA
-Queen Mary, AAA
-Surrey, AAA
-Kent, BBB

I intend to put LSE as firm. However I am having trouble choosing my insurance. I would like to put UCL but am cautious about having two very high graded offers. I would then need to chose between Surrey or Queen Mary. However, I lack real passion for either of these universities compared to my top two. I am very (perhaps too much) influenced by league tables and as a result am determined to go to a top-5 university.

What I would like to know is if I put UCL and LSE down, but did not get an A* in maths, what are my options? Is it likely that Surrey or Queen Mary would be in clearing? Is it possible to reapply to LSE the following year to a different course that doesn't need the A*? If so, what would happen with personal statement, reference etc.

Also, can I choose my firm choice now and insurance at a later date? From what I can find I cannot... I would not be rushing into the decision if it wasn't for the fact I would like to start applying for accomodation, and LSE requires it to be a firm choice first.

I will appreciate any advice regarding this issue.

Thank you

Firstly, it logically it seems unwise to have your back-up with the exact same requirements as your firm.

You don't have to put down your firm or insurance choices yet until 4th May. You can just choose and make up your mind about your insurance/firm choices without putting them on to UCAS.

As far as applying for accommodation, if you intend to put LSE as your firm anyway then it doesn't really matter. when filling out things such as Student Finance which ask for your university, you can change this at a later date so do not panic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending