The Student Room Group

Fare Evasion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hudamh
They will most likey not prosecute if your 17. It will most likey be a fine, but make sure your parents explain that it was the first time you've done that and that it was a mistake that you will not repeat. Tell your parents that what they write to them is not privellaged and can therefore be used in court, so just make sure its not an outright confession.

Like I said, I doubt that they will prosecute. If they do, then go to a solicitor. Ask them to write a letter to settle out of court. (They wil almost always settle if your that young and its the first tie). It may be a bit expensive, but it will be worth it.
If they do prosecute you then it would not be fraud, but it will be under the bylaws, its not AS serious, but still gives you a criminal record if they go through with it, which can prvent you from becoming a lawyer, teacher, doctor etc.

They tend not to go after those under 18. I thin you'll be fine. Don't do it again, because they will definitley take you to court.

- A law student.

Very helpful to hear, please could you read the above letter and tell me what you think?
Original post by owencooper
image.jpgLetter from mother

I don't see how they can argue with that really
Reply 22
Original post by GonnaBeMyYear
I don't see how they can argue with that really

What do you think will happen?
What do you think will happen?

In an ideal world, they'd take pity on you and just make you pay the fare; slap on the wrist, don't do it again kind of thing. No courts involved. However, the magistrates are unpredictable so I honestly have no idea. Because you're under 18 and therefore a 'minor' the charges can't be that severe anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 24
Original post by GonnaBeMyYear
In an ideal world, they'd take pity on you and just make you pay the fare; slap on the wrist, don't do it again kind of thing. No courts involved. However, the magistrates are unpredictable so I honestly have no idea. Because you're under 18 and therefore a 'minor' the charges can't be that severe anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you. I can't help but worrying though.
Very helpful to hear, please could you read the above letter and tell me what you think?

I read it and its good. It explains what went on clearly and that you regret what happened. Good luck.
Get a solicitor. Would you expect to get away with stealing food from a shop?
I think you're worrying about nothing. If you can't pay a fare they take you're details and bill you via post which sounds like that's all this is. As long as you pay the unpaid fare notice then nothing happens, it's basically just an invoice.

I know this as my card didn't work once. I'd imagine if they were going to prosecute they'd have called the transport police there and then.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/transport/public-transport/trains/unpaid-fare-notices-on-trains/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by barnetlad
Get a solicitor. Would you expect to get away with stealing food from a shop?

seriously??
Reply 29
Original post by JamesN88
I think you're worrying about nothing. If you can't pay a fare they take you're details and bill you via post which sounds like that's all this is. As long as you pay the unpaid fare notice then nothing happens, it's basically just an invoice.

I know this as my card didn't work once. I'd imagine if they were going to prosecute they'd have called the transport police there and then.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/transport/public-transport/trains/unpaid-fare-notices-on-trains/

I have recieved a letter already allowing my parents to try explain why i did what i did. It is in the above pages. Im not sure how far it'll go however .
seriously??

No

They will tell you what myself or the law student told you. You'd probably have to pay more for their time than any civic penalty.
I have recieved a letter already allowing my parents to try explain why i did what i did. It is in the above pages. Im not sure how far it'll go however .

Apologies I misread, I guess a grovelling apology and payment for the due fair would go a long way, I doubt they'll prosecute and go to court for someone under 18 who's not been caught doing this previously.
payment for the due fair would go a long way

No pun intended, I've just realised what I wrote:smile:.
Reply 33
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
No

They will tell you what myself or the law student told you. You'd probably have to pay more for their time than any civic penalty.

Is that letter that has been written above okay?
Reply 34
No pun intended, I've just realised what I wrote:smile:.

So you believe apart from a fine i should be okay
So you believe apart from a fine i should be okay

I think if they were going to prosecute they would have just done it as opposed to offering the chance for an explanation/apology.
Is that letter that has been written above okay?

In my non-professional opinion yes.

I don't believe they will press charges
Reply 37
I think if they were going to prosecute they would have just done it as opposed to offering the chance for an explanation/apology.

Okay thank you

The letter is fine. Id be more interested in their letter to you and in particular a contact number where your mum might chat informally to them. They might just be ok with a penalty fine and the leter helps in that regard because it has the abcking of your parents. If you pay a penalty fine then you will be able to avoid prosecution plus you are only 17. A criminal record is something you wnat to avoid.

Woth any luck you will have your parents to thank for getting you off the hook.
Reply 39
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
In my non-professional opinion yes.

I don't believe they will press charges

Okay thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending