The Student Room Group

Best A levels for a maths degree?

Scroll to see replies

Maths, Further maths, Economics/Business are all maths related. If you look on a university website and find a maths degree. It will show you the entry requirements and the A-Level subjects that they recommend for that course. I would suggest doing 4-AS this year but its up to you. Make sure you start making notes and practicing at home early. All the best and Good luck.
Original post by Matt_Barber00
My school have asked us to choose our A level options for the sixth form. I would like to study maths at university after I leave school and would really like to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I have already decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Spanish but I can choose one more and I can't decide between French and Chemistry. Does it really matter what I pick? I think Chemistry might be slightly easier but I also know that choosing French would probably make me stand out more. I got A*s in my mocks so that didn't help much. Do you have any advice?

You dont even maths tbh, They start the course of teaching the most basic stuff and then it gets harder. Doing maths at cambridge btw
Original post by RonnieRJ
Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams

I feel so sorry for them, luckily I've missed it but I haven't missed the government's wrath of reforms of Biology or History :frown:

one exam requiring the revision of 700 pages :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ahhh struggling to revise even half of AS biology at the moment, this is going well.
Reply 23
My school have asked us to choose our A level options for the sixth form. I would like to study maths at university after I leave school and would really like to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I have already decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Spanish but I can choose one more and I can't decide between French and Chemistry. Does it really matter what I pick? I think Chemistry might be slightly easier but I also know that choosing French would probably make me stand out more. I got A*s in my mocks so that didn't help much. Do you have any advice?

Triple maths and physics
Do whichever one you think you'll enjoy more. I doubt your choice will affect your application much, since you already have M, FM, physics..
Original post by jamestg
I feel so sorry for them, luckily I've missed it but I haven't missed the government's wrath of reforms of Biology or History :frown:

one exam requiring the revision of 700 pages :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ahhh struggling to revise even half of AS biology at the moment, this is going well.

I'm luckily in the last year of year 13s with modular A levels, thank godddd

I feel you lmao good luck with it :smile:
I'm luckily in the last year of year 13s with modular A levels, thank godddd

I feel you lmao good luck with it :smile:

I envy you so much lol

Good luck with your exams!!
Maths, Further Maths, Physics forget 5 A-Levels, focus on getting A*A*A* and 1 in STEP
Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams

they might be ****ed hahaha but i think the government are gonna reduce the number of modules just like they did with Physics.
Reply 29

Oh c'mon, it's obvious! M, FM, AFM. Duh.
Original post by jamestg
I envy you so much lol

Good luck with your exams!!

Haha sorry :wink:
And thank you!!

I think He has to take four at his school

So + Additional Further maths pls
Critical thinking and general studies
Haha sorry :wink:
And thank you!!

I think He has to take four at his school

So + Additional Further maths pls

AFM is an overkill. OP would be better focusing on STEP and doing the most difficult FM modules; FP1-FP3, M1-M5
Lmaoo I hope so poor peeps

Are you sure?

Surely he'd have an advantage at Camb, especially if he managed to get v high UMS across the units? Plus would be easier if he does actually have a passion for maths

Lol op have fun with M5 lmao
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 34

Maths, Further Maths and Additional Further Maths/Physics/Chemistry (any other "academic" A-level will do). You don't need to stand out to do a Maths degree - all you need to do is be good in Maths. I'd suggest staying with 4 A-levels and picking up STEP.

In my opinion, your time is best utilised if you just do double maths (with FP1-3, M1-3, S1-2), physics and STEP II and III. A fourth AS is alright, but not mandatory.
(edited 8 years ago)

Are you sure?

Surely he'd have an advantage at Camb, especially if he managed to get v high UMS across the units? Plus would be easier if he does actually have a passion for maths

STEP and MAT make M5 look like GCSE Maths. OP might struggle to prepare for STEP if he's sitting 9 math modules + multiple science exams per year. If OP flops STEP he can say goodbye to his chances at COWI.
But that's the normal number of examinations lol... I had 18 exams first year of sixth form.

Plus maths exams require less preparation in terms of context and knowledge than science exams. Although also worth remembering that the only AS level grades he will have will be maths, as physics is linear. So realistically in the first year he'd be applying with high UMS across three maths a levels only? Either way, my only concern was he said he had to take minimum of four :smile:
Reply 37

Are you sure?

AFM is pretty much overkill for everyone - even for Cambridge applicants, very few people go for this.

In terms of preparation for uni, there's marginal benefit in stacking up loads of extra modules such as D1, D2 and S4 which really do little to strengthen a candidate's ability in maths. (Thankfully the Decision stuff is being dropped from the revised A level spec.)

The only reason I can see for studying additional modules is if your school could only teach a 'weak' combination at A level (e.g, S1 and D1) and you wanted to strengthen your Mechanics background for example.

The OP would be better advised getting a solid background in Maths and FM and then tackling some more difficult material such as AEA and STEP I papers.
Original post by davros
AFM is pretty much overkill for everyone - even for Cambridge applicants, very few people go for this.

In terms of preparation for uni, there's marginal benefit in stacking up loads of extra modules such as D1, D2 and S4 which really do little to strengthen a candidate's ability in maths. (Thankfully the Decision stuff is being dropped from the revised A level spec.)

The only reason I can see for studying additional modules is if your school could only teach a 'weak' combination at A level (e.g, S1 and D1) and you wanted to strengthen your Mechanics background for example.

The OP would be better advised getting a solid background in Maths and FM and then tackling some more difficult material such as AEA and STEP I papers.

Really? I know a lot of people doing all three :|

Either way yeah I did previously agree with what you and another person is saying my only extra point is he apparently has to do 4 (or 5 because of a wierd maths and further maths rule?).
As long as you have the crucial ones: Further Math and Math, just take those, you enjoy the most and were you will end up with the highest grades. It doesn't really matter, whether that will be Chemistry or French or something entirely different.

Quick Reply

Latest