The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance at top American colleges?

GCSEs 8 A-A* 3 B 1 C
AS- Maths A, Further Maths A, Statistics A, Additional Further Maths B, Chemistry A, Physics B
A2- probably looking at Maths A*, Furher Maths A, Chemistry B

I have my V50 and do extra curriculars. The thing that may separate be from other candidates is that I qualified to for the British Mathamatical Olympiad this year. Thanks for your opinions
Everyone with good grades and good extra curriculars has a chance, but beyond that there is little anyone can say, so much depends on luck. Exactly what ECs have you done? I don't think qualifying for the British Mathematical Olympiad is going to help you much, stuff like that is pretty standard for applicants to top schools.
Original post by Lucasium
GCSEs 8 A-A* 3 B 1 C
AS- Maths A, Further Maths A, Statistics A, Additional Further Maths B, Chemistry A, Physics B

I have my V50 and do extra curriculars. The thing that may separate be from other candidates is that I qualified to for the British Mathamatical Olympiad this year. Thanks for your opinions

What are your softs (non-academic related) or family background like? How good is your personal statement?

Applications to the Ivies/Stanford/Duke requires so much more than being academically brilliant. These schools like to see students who may be competitive athletes, or have a history of volunteering/leadership roles.
BMO qualification won't help you much. What I don't really see is any strong ECAs, which is likely to keep you out
Reply 4
The thing that may separate be from other candidates is that I qualified to for the British Mathamatical Olympiad this year.

It doesn't.
GCSEs 8 A-A* 3 B 1 C

SAT/ACT score? SAT 2 scores?

List of ECs?

Your academics are only one aspect and as the top US unis don't have explicit entry requirements (your candidacy is relative to how strong everyone else is), your chances lie more in your achievements/ECs, admissions essays and teacher recommendations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending