The Student Room Group

Is Israel or ISIS a greater threat to world peace?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theconfusedman
Which statements do I need to give evidence for?

I'm not a teacher; think for yourself.
Original post by Ghazali
Stealing land, diverting resources towards Jewish settlemants and away from those occupied, calorie counting Gaza like it's the Warsaw Ghetto or a concentration camp, walling the Palestinian 'untermench' off in segregation, and just like Nazi Germany, the occupied aren't free compared to the occupiers, with access to education more strained, and freedom of movement etc... sounds Nazi-esque too me.

Amongst the number of crimes the Nazis are guilty of committing, there is little doubt that the Holocaust is one of the worst ones. Although the exact number is debated, the majority of academics agree that it was more than 6 million.

Let's compare this to the Arab-Israeli conflict. There are no exact numbers once again, but in 2010 it was calculated that the number of total casualties since 1948 was 51,000 (http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/43534) - this includes both Israeli and Arab deaths.

That's a major difference in numbers between Nazi Germany and Israeli foreign policy.

Original post by Ghazali
Are you one of those stooges paid by the Israeli government to spread pro-Israeli propaganda? Serious question.

I think we can all agree that Israel has better ways to spend its money (e.g. making sure Hamas doesn't kill every Israeli under the sun).
You're the one asking for evidence :biggrin::biggrin: Why do I need to think for which part of my statement i needed evidence for? Is this an essay for me to give you 'Point Evidence Explanation'? Seems like you're the one who's giving empty statements. If you weren't so emotionally connected to this topic maybe you could have avoided this.

You're digressing. Either provide answer for you comments, or let the others discuss.
Original post by Aceadria
You're digressing. Either provide answer for you comments, or let the others discuss.

Just accept my point instead or tell me where you want evidence. Just because your knowledge is lacking doesnt mean you're right:biggrin:

Honestly, your argument is so weak im wondering why you're bothering to even persist with your pathetic point.
Just accept my point instead or tell me where you want evidence. Just because your knowledge is lacking doesnt mean you're right:biggrin:

Honestly, your argument is so weak im wondering why you're bothering to even persist with your pathetic point.

I've answered your question. Don't make a statement without evidence and you've made countless.
I've answered your question. Don't make a statement without evidence and you've made countless.

I dont need to give evidence, if you think what im saying is inaccurate, search it up yourself and post it here. Everything i said is accurate.
I thought you were more intelligent than this to give such a petty argument.
So, Israel, a democratic state that has become one of the fastest growing and the most stable economy in the Middle East is being compared to a violent and corrupt state that beheads citizens of its 'state' for 'crimes' such as apostasy. Genuine criticism is one thing, but hatred for a nation simply based on antisemitic feelings is disgusting and needs to be condemned.

lmao at democratic!
they're putting people in "concentration camps"
ironic, considering the damn holocaust
people who support Israel I bet only support it because it has BECOME a white place

anyway
I'd rather Israel be stopped tbh since it's an official nation; deal with ISIS later
use Israel to "stop" ISIS though :wink:
f*ck da UN coming str8 from da underground

a young marxist got bad cuz im red

an not the other colour that make a human rights lawyer think they have the authority to implement sanctions
Reply 68
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
f*ck da UN coming str8 from da underground

a young marxist got bad cuz im red

an not the other colour that make a human rights lawyer think they have the authority to implement sanctions

Okay, that's interesting.
Original post by Sciatic

Why are you mad? Most Marxists support Palestine.
Original post by Sciatic

[video="youtube;c5fts7bj-so"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so[/video]
Reply 71
Amongst the number of crimes the Nazis are guilty of committing, there is little doubt that the Holocaust is one of the worst ones. Although the exact number is debated, the majority of academics agree that it was more than 6 million.

Let's compare this to the Arab-Israeli conflict. There are no exact numbers once again, but in 2010 it was calculated that the number of total casualties since 1948 was 51,000 (http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/43534) - this includes both Israeli and Arab deaths.

That's a major difference in numbers between Nazi Germany and Israeli foreign policy.

I think we can all agree that Israel has better ways to spend its money (e.g. making sure Hamas doesn't kill every Israeli under the sun).

Your red herring point doesn't detract from the comparisons I've made so far - it's not like I have said that they have been as bad as the Nazis, so address my points properly rather than side tracking innit.

You'd think, but Mossad or the IDF actually pay people to dedicate time to post pro-Israeli propaganda and defend Israel online - look it up if you want.
That isnt a fair comparison. Israel vs Islam is more fair. Pakistan could easily fall into an ISIS state and they have nukes. AlJazeera is the only non-white news channel with major influence.
Original post by Ghazali
Your red herring point doesn't detract from the comparisons I've made so far - it's not like I have said that they have been as bad as the Nazis, so address my points properly rather than side tracking innit.

Yes, it does because you're claiming that Israel is a 'Nazi-esque' state. By that very definition, you are clearly claiming that factors typically associated with Nazism can also be applied to Israel. In this case, I'm showing you that Israel's actions in Palestine, although not excusable, are not 'Nazi-esque'.

Original post by Ghazali
You'd think, but Mossad or the IDF actually pay people to dedicate time to post pro-Israeli propaganda and defend Israel online - look it up if you want.

Burden of proof is on you.
Quotes are not necessarily facts; they can also be opinions of learned men and women. May I also add that quoting Rouhani, who called Israel an 'old wound that should be removed', does not make your argument credible.

I would argue that on such an emotive issue where hard facts are difficult to come by it is more than reasonable to base your opinion on varied learned individuals far more experienced in the issue than yourself. Also I included Rouhani as he is the democratic leader of the 2nd largest economy in the region so whether you agree with his opinions or not they are more than relevant to the case at hand.

Dont get me wrong, in the present ISIS is a far more unpredictable and dangerous threat to world peace and the prosperity of both the west and the regions in conflicts than Israel. However I believe in the long run based on its history Israel will be a long standing catalyst of instability long after ISIS/Daesh/Al Queda/FSA and other entities are long dead and buried (please note I am NOT likening those 3 entities to eachother in any similarity other than that they are creators of instability).
Original post by CAElite
I would argue that on such an emotive issue where hard facts are difficult to come by it is more than reasonable to base your opinion on varied learned individuals far more experienced in the issue than yourself. Also I included Rouhani as he is the democratic leader of the 2nd largest economy in the region so whether you agree with his opinions or not they are more than relevant to the case at hand.

I'm not denying this but my point is that an opinion based on someone else's opinion is not necessarily fact.

Original post by CAElite
Dont get me wrong, in the present ISIS is a far more unpredictable and dangerous threat to world peace and the prosperity of both the west and the regions in conflicts than Israel. However I believe in the long run based on its history Israel will be a long standing catalyst of instability long after ISIS/Daesh/Al Queda/FSA and other entities are long dead and buried (please note I am NOT likening those 3 entities to eachother in any similarity other than that they are creators of instability).

This is my issue with this line of discussion: we are using the words ISIS and Israel in the same sentence, when neither are similar. ISIS is a group of thugs who loot, rape and pillage everything in their sight. Israel is a democratic nation with a parliament and an economy not based on slavery.

I am by no means a supporter of Israel's actions in the Gaza strip but I cannot accept that people are willing to claim that Israel and ISIS should be compared (as so many have done on this forum in the past).

This is my issue with this line of discussion: we are using the words ISIS and Israel in the same sentence, when neither are similar. ISIS is a group of thugs who loot, rape and pillage everything in their sight. Israel is a democratic nation with a parliament and an economy not based on slavery.

I am by no means a supporter of Israel's actions in the Gaza strip but I cannot accept that people are willing to claim that Israel and ISIS should be compared (as so many have done on this forum in the past).

I can agree with that. ISIS, regardless of what they call themselves, is a terrorist group and their actions hold no legitimacy. Where as Israel is (in my opinion) a warmongering rogue state. Both entities are entirely different and as such need to be treated in a different manner.

However for the case of this thread where the OPs question was what entity is the biggest threat to world peace, I think both entities create instability but due to its longevity Israel will be a dangerous issue for far longer. ISIS being a terrorist entity is likely to disapear once order is returned to the region, they should never have been given the opportunities to grow in to what they have.
the isrealis are as bad as IS

You might want to get a sense of perspective if you really believe that.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
You might want to get a sense of perspective if you really believe that.

You're deluded.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're deluded.

Whatever your opinion of Israel is, saying they are as bad as ISIS is clearly ridiculous.

Come on, in what way is one of the only stable democracies in the Middle East even remotely comparable to the barbaric terrorist organisation that is ISIS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending