The Student Room Group

Rectangular hyperbola coordinates

Going through FP1 really quickly for the first time on me ones so idk whether I'm being stupid or if the textbook has a misprint

Parametrics given as X=ct and y=c/t so standard coordinates should be P(ct,c/t) right? The book says P(ct^2,c/t) and continues to use it within examples?
Original post by RonnieRJ
Going through FP1 really quickly for the first time on me ones so idk whether I'm being stupid or if the textbook has a misprint

Parametrics given as X=ct and y=c/t so standard coordinates should be P(ct,c/t) right? The book says P(ct^2,c/t) and continues to use it within examples?

Can you post a photo?
Reply 2
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Can you post a photo?

image.jpg
Am I being stupid and missing something?
I was thinking its a misprint cause last chapter is parabolas where X=at^2?
image.jpg

Yeah it's an error my book has the coordinates at (ct, c/t)
Reply 4
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Yeah it's an error my book has the coordinates at (ct, c/t)

Ah ok thank youuu :smile:
Reply 5

Mistake in the textbook, a quick check in your formula booklet will confirm this.
Reply 6
image.jpg

You're right - it's ct, not ct^2.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Mistake in the textbook, a quick check in your formula booklet will confirm this.

Ooh didn't realise this was given in the formula booklet

Thank you! :smile:
Lol are u working on the floor??
Reply 9
image.jpg

You have to trust your judgement on this - you want a cartesian equation xy = c^2 and the book's version doesn't work with the coordinates they've given so you are right :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by davros
You have to trust your judgement on this - you want a cartesian equation xy = c^2 and the book's version doesn't work with the coordinates they've given so you are right :smile:

Yeah I checked it with the Cartesian form but then I wondered if the equation they gave was wrong!

Quick Reply

Latest