The Student Room Group

Privatising the nhs? Pls don't skip🙈

Should we privatise the nhs?
What would the PROS AND cons be if we do so?
What impact would it have on our society?
Is there a solution to this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Potential for better service, but it would cost. Not everybody would be able to get insurance.
People would be rather annoyed, but live would go on.
No, because it's not going to happen.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
No.
Potential for better service, but it would cost. Not everybody would be able to get insurance.
People would be rather annoyed, but live would go on.
No, because it's not going to happen.

Good point but what if it was privatised what would the benefit of that would be. And if we had to privatise a particular sector what sector would you say we should privatise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Fatima.R
Good point but what if it was privatised what would the benefit of that would be. And if we had to privatise a particular sector what sector would you say we should privatise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could argue that privatising non essential parts like doctor's surgeries would stop people taking the piss with appointments and "illnesses" that obviously don't require a doctor.
No, every human being has the right to medical care, regardless of their financial situation, if you want to go private, you can.
American healthcare system. Enough said.
NO
I think that the state should provide healthcare free at the point of use for everyone, however I believe that healthcare vouchers should be available. I also think that private companies should be able to provide services if they do it with increased quality and lower cost than the state. I think that it's important that people are able to use the NHS when they are vulnerable and in need of care.
Reply 7
Original post by Tetragon213
NO

Do we have to choose between the NHS and an American-style system though? Could a mixed approach work, some state ownership, some room for private enterprise, so long as the quality of care is up to standard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm torn sometimes i think we should have private hospital care and just gp's be free and hospital care free for the poor.

Then I think how this could be messed up and think nah it's better to keep it as it is.

It works pretty well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by BenC1997
You could argue that privatising non essential parts like doctor's surgeries would stop people taking the piss with appointments and "illnesses" that obviously don't require a doctor.

GPs are already private contractors.

NO

No, not enough said. One example of a different healthcare mix does not write off anything.

Not to mention when we're talking about "private" - only a small minority of US hospitals are private, profit-making bodies. The vast majority are state-owned or run by charitable bodies on a non-profit basis.

The amount of ignorance among British people on how healthcare in the US works is genuinely frightening. It's worth noting that for most of us - fairly standard, middle class folk - the United States is probably the best place in the world to get sick.

We also live off that very same US healthcare system, with a considerable proportion of the drugs we use every day developed there. It has driven forward innovation in a way few other countries have.

Original post by BenC1997
Do we have to choose between the NHS and an American-style system though? Could a mixed approach work, some state ownership, some room for private enterprise, so long as the quality of care is up to standard?

We already have that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Whenever people discuss privatisation of NHS, they fail to realise that there are more models out there than UK vs USA.

I suggest people look at models found on th continent and throughout the OECD because most of them offer free universal healthcare but have varying degrees of privatisation.
Original post by Rogersinu
Whenever people discuss privatisation of NHS, they fail to realise that there are more models out there than UK vs USA.

I suggest people look at models found on th continent and throughout the OECD because most of them offer free universal healthcare but have varying degrees of privatisation.

Yes, whenever people have a debate about the NHS some people try to shut it down by shouting "AMERICAN SYSTEM! PRIVATISATION!" when it's actually a more complex issue than that.
Original post by Blondie987
No, every human being has the right to medical care, regardless of their financial situation, if you want to go private, you can.

NO

This is very dichotomised thinking. The American healthcare system is not the only other way of providing healthcare. It's possible to have universal healthcare coverage without having a fully state-run health service.
Reply 13
Original post by Rogersinu

Good point. What are the types of hospital systems offered in other countries and are some of them worth taking a note of and using it for our own UK medical system?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Nah keep it free
Original post by xxvine
Nah keep it free

You can have a health service that is free at the point of use but has private involvement. The government can pay for services but with private organisations providing them. This already happens to a certain extent in the UK.
Reply 16
Original post by LordMallard
You can have a health service that is free at the point of use but has private involvement. The government can pay for services but with private organisations providing them. This already happens to a certain extent in the UK.

how it is basically now...you can go private but its still funded by tax etc...

i don't want a private system like america....i think health care should be free. i think thats what makes our country special.
Original post by paul514
I'm torn sometimes i think we should have private hospital care and just gp's be free and hospital care free for the poor.

Then I think how this could be messed up and think nah it's better to keep it as it is.

It works pretty well

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, taxes etc are already one of the highest in Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all tell me what you mean by privatising the NHS.
Reply 19
Original post by nulli tertius
First of all tell me what you mean by privatising the NHS.

It basically means giving some of the NHS sectors away to private funds and business. For example. If the care for elderly patients had gotten privatised then we may be required to pay for that service. Right now we get free healthcare for the NHS. Privatising a sector would mean that we would pay for some parts of our health care

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending