The Student Room Group

Do any of your friends have views which you hate?

Scroll to see replies

I have a few christian friends, but we don't talk about religion (which I am not a fan of) for obvious reasons. a have a lot of left wing friends as well while I'm right wing. but again, even if I had friends which were communists, or fascists, I wouldn't be intolerant of them as people, because I'm pretty laid back. as long as they don't keep talking about it, I'd be fine with it. everybody is allowed different views until they practice them (if they're abominable)
The view that some of my friends have is that they think they can use the word 'gay' to mean 'stupid' :facepalm:
A friend of mine used to be very pro-Hitler..
Original post by Anonymous
As above

Do you have any friends whose views make your blood boil/feel shocked?
This naive notion (that most people around me have) that you will get to where you want to get in life without putting any work into it. It often frustrates me, but personally i believe that because most people grew up under an entirely different atmosphere compared to me, their hold those views for that very reason. People might not easily comply to my views and expectations but i think that is enough reason for me to try & justify them.
Original post by Blondie987
I have a religious friend who I remember being slightly homophobic in school, she doesn't know I'm gay and I'm to scared to tell her tbh :s-smilie:

If she can't understand you then she does not deserve to be your friend !
Hope she'll understand tho :smile: <3
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
If she can't understand you then she does not deserve to be your friend !
Hope she'll understand tho :smile: <3

Thank you! She has changed a lot since school, it's still a scary thing to do though :redface:
Original post by Blondie987
Thank you! She has changed a lot since school, it's still a scary thing to do though :redface:

Is she changed there is a chance she understands !
Bon courag with it !! :smile:
Yes, a few of my friends are homophobic...not overly but just "I don't agree with it type of thing"
All of my friends are Christian or Muslim...leaving me as the odd one out
Hate is not the word I would use. Some friends of mine have very different views on politics and some also on religion.
Original post by loveleest
Yes, a few of my friends are homophobic...not overly but just "I don't agree with it type of thing"
All of my friends are Christian or Muslim...leaving me as the odd one out

It's not phobic to disagree with something.

Like I disagree with putting tomatos in fruit salad even though they are a fruit. I am not a tomatophobe.

People can disagree with things important to the zeitgeist and it doesn't make them bador that they're somehow afraid of that part of society. It just means they disagree with the zeitgeist.
I have a few friends that are pro life and I don't agree with their view and they voiced their opinion when I ended up having an abortion but didn't hound or preach at me.

There is one friend who is the polar opposite to me on the pet front. My pets are my life. My life revolves around them almost and I miss them when I am not with them and I spoil them rotten and count them as much of my family as all my human family members and my family feel the same way towards pets but one friend sees pets as nothing more than ornaments or possessions. She said she feels nothing when they die because she can just get more and from what I have seen, she is quite rough and unaffectionate with the pets and often forgets to feed them whereas with me, I feed my pets better than I feed myself and when one dies, it breaks my heart forever.
Original post by ThatOldGuy

Like I disagree with putting tomatos in fruit salad even though they are a fruit. I am not a tomatophobe.

People can disagree with things important to the zeitgeist and it doesn't make them bador that they're somehow afraid of that part of society. It just means they disagree with the zeitgeist.

ok

What exactly is there to disagree with tho? i mean i don't want sex with guys but that dosen't mean i disagree with girls having sex with guys...
People should be able to love who they want and i don't see why anyone would find anything in that to 'disagree with' and lol you can't really compared that to tomatoes...
Some of my friends are quite conservative... one (going to do Oxford PPE next year) is virtually the stereotypical Tory

We have polar opposite views on most issues, but we both enjoy a good healthy debate

I also have some Muslim friends - not very religious, but still I am not the biggest fan of religion in general. Its not something we discuss, or that comes up much tbh

I also have some left wing friends... I don't mention my views in front of them, naturally
What exactly is there to disagree with tho? i mean i don't want sex with guys but that dosen't mean i disagree with girls having sex with guys...
People should be able to love who they want and i don't see why anyone would find anything in that to 'disagree with' and lol you can't really compared that to tomatoes...

"I don't want tomatoes but that doesn't mean I disagree with people eating tomatoes. People should be able to eat whatever they want and I don't see why anyone would find anything in that to 'Disagree with' and lol you can't really compare that to tomatoes."

I'm pretty sure that very few people who disagree with homosexuality want to outlaw it. This ain't the 1920s any more in liberal western society, so you -are- allowed to love anyone you want, just as other people are allowed to disagree with your decision.

People can disagree with your decision to eat certain fruit in fruit salad, wear white after labour day, try on reversable slacks or even your decision to romantically chase somebody.

Atheists are allowed to disagree with someone's decision to become a Buddhist, but that doesn't make them a Buddhaphobic. Die-hard fans of Man United might disagree with someone supporting West Ham, but that doesn't make them West Hamaphobes.

People believe all sorts of things and they disagree with you, me and everyone else on all sorts of things that you and I think are silly. That's fine. People can and do disagree all they want with other people's lifestyle choices - Homosexuality doesn't get a 'pass' just because it's the cause du jour.
"I don't want tomatoes but that doesn't mean I disagree with people eating tomatoes. People should be able to eat whatever they want and I don't see why anyone would find anything in that to 'Disagree with' and lol you can't really compare that to tomatoes."

I'm pretty sure that very few people who disagree with homosexuality want to outlaw it. This ain't the 1920s any more in liberal western society, so you -are- allowed to love anyone you want, just as other people are allowed to disagree with your decision.

People can disagree with your decision to eat certain fruit in fruit salad, wear white after labour day, try on reversable slacks or even your decision to romantically chase somebody.

Atheists are allowed to disagree with someone's decision to become a Buddhist, but that doesn't make them a Buddhaphobic. Die-hard fans of Man United might disagree with someone supporting West Ham, but that doesn't make them West Hamaphobes.

People believe all sorts of things and they disagree with you, me and everyone else on all sorts of things that you and I think are silly. That's fine. People can and do disagree all they want with other people's lifestyle choices - Homosexuality doesn't get a 'pass' just because it's the cause du jour.

no ik, it is clear you aren't a homophobe i am just actually legitatemely curious about what there is to disagree with because from my perspective it is just normal like i have developed these attractions over years in place of attraction to men so i actually want someone else's perspective. If you take your tomato analogy, people might disagree with it bc they dislike the taste but what do you disagree with? i just genuinely don't get why people disagree with it tis all tho i agree, just because you disagree with something dosent make you thatsomthing-phobic so long as you dont act negatively towards that group :smile:
I am friends with a couple of people who in turn a friends with people I dont get along with (Muslims, homophobes, chavs, etc).

Some people think it's acceptable to defend a religion like Islam eventhough it's ridiculosly conservative and backwards. Im not friends with anyone like that but seriously...
Hypocritical and judgemental.

A girl in my whatsapp group chat went on instagram to screenshot a pic of a former friend of ours (absolutely no bad blood) to rant and rave about how she's been overusing the gym and has now lost so much weight. Ironically the girl who sent the pic is about as skinny as the girl she is btching about. She even said "she hasn't got any curves", but neither does she.

That really annoyed me.
no ik, it is clear you aren't a homophobe i am just actually legitatemely curious about what there is to disagree with because from my perspective it is just normal like i have developed these attractions over years in place of attraction to men so i actually want someone else's perspective. If you take your tomato analogy, people might disagree with it bc they dislike the taste but what do you disagree with? i just genuinely don't get why people disagree with it tis all tho i agree, just because you disagree with something dosent make you thatsomthing-phobic so long as you dont act negatively towards that group :smile:

I actually don't have strong feelings about homosexuality one way or the other. Some people do and they have their reasons(Which I actually don't know, to be fair, but it can be anything from religion to 'I think it's icky!' and those are just as valid points in their minds).

Historically, there have been a lot of 'Gay cures' that have been argued and none have been proven to work to the pain of quite a lot of families. That suggests that homosexuality isn't really a choice in many people, buuuuut... In Universities across western societies, you can't throw a stick without hitting someone who claims to be bisexual. After university, a lot of these people settle down in to set patterns. This suggests that there is at least -some- choice for -some- people over who they chase.

What does all this mean? Ultimately, nothing. Who cares if somebody disagrees with you? That's always going to happen. If I were a Buddhist, I would have to assume that everybody who -isn't- a Buddhist disagrees with me that Buddha was right. If they -didn't- disagree with me, they'd be Buddhist.

That doesn't mean they hate me or are out to get me. It's okay to disagree with people - Healthy even, because without it we cease to grow as a society.

Don't let the current zeitgeist control you: There is a pressure to make people feel that anybody who disagrees with you hates you; It's unhealthy and certainly won't make you happy.

You deserve better than that.
all my friends think I'm too hot for my crush.
when they say he's not attractive it makes my blood boil. He's so sweet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending