The Student Room Group

Justifications for eating meat

Turning greatguy's thread into a discussion that won't get closed.
So, what are people's justifications for eating meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

For proteins!!!!!
It tastes good
I'm probably 4% Neanderthal.
Reply 4
If God had meant us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.
It tastes very nice and is a rich source of protein.
Humans are born with Canine teeth which over thousands of years have developed so they can easily cut through meat as you chew.

Also I know this sounds kinda odd, but if we didn't eat meat there would be an overload of animals on the planet because no ones eating them which would make them go extinct because there wouldn't be enough food for them all. Animals like Cows/Sheep/Pigs/Chickens are bred to be killed and eaten which is why they're still around. If we didn't eat them they would eventually die out due to us not breeding them... they're farm animals. If farmers just stopped caring about them on day they probably wouldn't exist..
because BACON :mmm:
selfishness

It's morally unjustifiable, but I don't care
Original post by Jackieox

Also I know this sounds kinda odd, but if we didn't eat meat there would be an overload of animals on the planet because no ones eating them which would make them go extinct because there wouldn't be enough food for them all. Animals like Cows/Sheep/Pigs/Chickens are bred to be killed and eaten which is why they're still around. If we didn't eat them they would eventually die out due to us not breeding them... they're farm animals. If farmers just stopped caring about them on day they probably wouldn't exist..

Lol not really, livestock were bred from their wild ancestors and although they're not as well adapted for live in the wild, some would survive and begin to adapt. especially in a country with no predators. Even if they died out it wouldn't be a negative, as they only exist due to us farming them for meat anyway, they're "creation" is artificial.

As for an overload of animals, yes only because we have killed so many predator species, mainly due to them hunting our herds. If we abandoned meat and re-introduced predators, nature would find a balance as it always does. The only reason we have to cull deer in the UK is because we got rid of wolves, lynx and bears.

But back to the topic, it tastes good, it's a source of certain essential nutrients which can be more effort to get from a non-meat diet. I don't have a guilt complex on us farming livestock for food.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

It's been long since I posted a gif :nutcase:

But srsly

Spoiler

Original post by Feel Tha Bern

eh I'm unsure.

You can make a moral argument against intensive farming, but lets say we're dealing with an organic chicken farm since as well as organic feedstuff they have higher welfare conditions than free range. The chickens roam around outside, they're kept safe from natural predation which is a lot more "immoral" (as in a violent death via fox, cat etc). They're numbers are higher than would exist without humans providing them with safety and food, and when they're old enough they're killed via an instantaneous method which does not stress the rest of the flock (as they don't treat the humans walking amongst them as a threat and don't witness the deaths of other chickens).
Too stay alive
Original post by Howard
If God had meant us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.

LOL

Well we could use that same argument for cannibalism XD
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
LOL

Well we could use that same argument for cannibalism XD

Just what I was thinking :colondollar: :lol:
It has protein in it, and edible? Our ancestors hunted and ate meat? Meat tastes good and not poisonous? Not everyone is a vegan?
I don't know.
Reply 16
I don't think anything has to be justified to be honest, it's people's choice what they want to eat. I eat meat but as long as the animal was well looked after and had a good quality of life and had a quick painless death then I'm good. I don't agree with this industrial farming.
Reply 17
You won't be getting your full nutrients without some meat... No matter what grains you try replace it with :P
To anyone- please don't waste your time forming an argument against this, you won't get a reply or read lol
Reply 18
Original post by Jade236
I don't think anything has to be justified to be honest, it's people's choice what they want to eat. I eat meat but as long as the animal was well looked after and had a good quality of life and had a quick painless death then I'm good. I don't agree with this industrial farming.

This!! :smile:
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
selfishness

This is basically the only way to explain it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending