The Student Room Group

M7 Mechanics Question 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Slice of Pi
I've just seen this, but I have an idea where to go with it...

he is the chosen one, the azor ahai of mechanics
Reply 61
I've just seen this, but I have an idea where to go with it...

we are waiting for you, holding our breaths ...
No pressure!
I'd love to have done m4/m5 but there are no textbooks for AQA...
Ok, I think I've done it but I need time to make a neat solution and photograph it etc should be up soon

I've just checked my answer and I cannot seem to get the cot term in there, I get tan, but it's very possible that I've made a silly mistake and I'll keep checking. I used cylindrical coordinates, if this is correct.
Reply 65
I've just checked my answer and I cannot seem to get the cot term in there, I get tan, but it's very possible that I've made a silly mistake and I'll keep checking. I used cylindrical coordinates, if this is correct.

somebody else also got tan
Could I be wrong?
Original post by TeeEm
somebody else also got tan
Could I be wrong?

I doubt you're wrong, but I'm quite rusty on the cylindrical stuff. I've been trying for a good 20 minutes to get a cot term in there but I can't see it.
Reply 67
I doubt you're wrong, but I'm quite rusty on the cylindrical stuff. I've been trying for a good 20 minutes to get a cot term in there but I can't see it.

yes, sorry it is a tan
typo in my end
Original post by TeeEm
yes, sorry it is a tan
typo in my end

So, just to confirm, what's the updated statement I have to show? Is it tan or -tan?
Reply 69
So, just to confirm, what's the updated statement I have to show? Is it tan or -tan?

tan it is
Original post by TeeEm
tan it is

In the final line, did you use sin^2 a + cos^2 a = 1? Because I get the two terms in brackets having the same sign, but this could easily be a silly mistake I've made with signs somethere
Reply 71
In the final line, did you use sin^2 a + cos^2 a = 1? Because I get the two terms in brackets having the same sign, but this could easily be a silly mistake I've made with signs somethere

+g tana - blah blah
Original post by TeeEm
+g tana - blah blah

Maybe it depends on the directions of the axes in my cylindrical system? But I have both mg and Nsina acting downwards, the "z" arrow pointing upwards, and the "r" vector and "Ncosa" going in the same direction...
Reply 73
Maybe it depends on the directions of the axes in my cylindrical system? But I have both mg and Nsina acting downwards, the "z" arrow pointing upwards, and the "r" vector and "Ncosa" going in the same direction...

No idea as this problem can be done in 3 different ways ...
Original post by TeeEm
No idea as this problem can be done in 3 different ways ...

It's getting a bit late now so I'll write up a solution tomorrow (probably after college now, as I'm not going to get much done during the day)
Reply 75
It's getting a bit late now so I'll write up a solution tomorrow (probably after college now, as I'm not going to get much done during the day)

no worries
your reputation is at stake !
Original post by drandy76
Yet they don't even have the decency to make FP4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by morgan8002
FP5, you mean?

FP3 is already ****ing disgusting. **** an FP4.

i bet a D3 would be horrendous too
Original post by Lawliettt

But where else would OCR introduce vectors in higher dimensions and further integration? D3 would probably have like 3 people sitting per year
Original post by drandy76
But where else would OCR introduce vectors in higher dimensions and further integration? D3 would probably have like 3 people sitting per year

Implying they wouldn't give us 4D shapes
Original post by Lawliettt

D3+ would start to get interesting actually :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest