The Student Room Group

Flying on aeroplanes - are you scared that it will crash?

I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing :frown:

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Subtle brag about expensive holiday.

Nothing more to see here folks
Original post by davidguettafan
I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing :frown:

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

I love flying, and I fly a little myself too. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Original post by CreamyChocolate
Subtle brag about expensive holiday.

Nothing more to see here folks

That wasn't my intention at all, my point is that it's a long flight and I'm scared what might happen.
Original post by XMaramena
I love flying, and I fly a little myself too. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

What types of planes do you fly? I'm just worried because it's been in the news about that missing MH370 flight Malaysian Airlines.
Reply 5
Yes... Sometimes I'm scared to go on a plane because I don't want to crash but I want to travel the world so I ignore the fear by listening to Fall Out Boy the whole floght
Reply 6
I used to be scared, I go on a 12 hour flight every year (there and back) and I haven't crashed once. Most major plane crashes nowadays are from planes entering unrestricted airspace so unless your pilot decides to go rogue you will be fine. And planes have improved in the past decades :smile:
Original post by GUMI
I used to be scared, I go on a 12 hour flight every year (there and back) and I haven't crashed once. Most major plane crashes nowadays are from planes entering unrestricted airspace so unless your pilot decides to go rogue you will be fine. And planes have improved in the past decades :smile:

I assume your 12 hour flight is to South East Asia? I'm going there too and worried because I think it flies over Ukraine which is where MH17 got shot down :frown:
Reply 8
I assume your 12 hour flight is to South East Asia? I'm going there too and worried because I think it flies over Ukraine which is where MH17 got shot down :frown:

Yea I go to Hong Kong and Taiwan every year to visit family, been doing it for 17 years and nothing bad has happened. Your flight already has a planned out route which I'm sure has been used many many times, so you really shouldn't worry, you'll be fine I am sure of it c:
Original post by GUMI
Yea I go to Hong Kong and Taiwan every year to visit family, been doing it for 17 years and nothing bad has happened. Your flight already has a planned out route which I'm sure has been used many many times, so you really shouldn't worry, you'll be fine I am sure of it c:

Reply 10
all the time ...
so I gave up flying ...
Your more likely to die in a fatal car accident than be involved in any incident well on-board a plane. Air travel nowadays is extremely safe compared to pretty much all other forms of transport. Well I agree the thought of being catapulted 10km up at 400mph might be a bit daunting there is no tangible reason to be any more scared of getting on a plane than you would driving/walking to the shops.
Original post by TeeEm
all the time ...
so I gave up flying ...

Really? :frown:
Reply 13
Really? :frown:

of course
There are many of us ...
Also, many famous people do not fly ... google it
:console:

Thousands of flights take off every day and I can assure you that it's all very safe :yep:
Original post by TeeEm
of course
There are many of us ...
Also, many famous people do not fly ... google it

Yeah I remember the footballer Dennis Bergkamp never used to fly
Reply 16
Yeah I remember the footballer Dennis Bergkamp never used to fly

one of many
No, I love flying and the vast majority of time there will be absolutely no problems at all :smile:
Original post by Indeterminate
:console:

Thousands of flights take off every day and I can assure you that it's all very safe :yep:

Cool - good luck!

What I don't understand is how there are so many flights in the air, and none of them ever crash into each other? Sounds silly but it's a serious question!
Only as much as I'm scared my car will crash, or will get run over.
But of course, planes are much safer than both.

Quick Reply

Latest