Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol

My thoughts exactly...

How do you remember your username :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by TheOpinion
My thoughts exactly...

How do you remember your username :s-smilie:

I tried to come up with something constructive, but I think everything has already been said on how **** the Daily Mail is and how misleading the presentation of the "wage gap" is..
If I needed to, it is a bit of simple cryptography...but I just use the "remain logged in" feature or whatever
Reply 4
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I tried to come up with something constructive, but I think everything has already been said on how **** the Daily Mail is and how misleading the presentation of the "wage gap" is..
If I needed to, it is a bit of simple cryptography...but I just use the "remain logged in" feature or whatever

Quite, I love reading it just to see the idiocy :wink:

I left mine logged in at a library once, came back to 3 yellow cards :frown:
Nope, don't see how you're all finding this funny. I may not agree with all of the stats, but I would encourage you give being a woman in the corporate world, as I am, a whirl, and then rethink this....
Reply 6
Original post by leavingthecity
Nope, don't see how you're all finding this funny. I may not agree with all of the stats, but I would encourage you give being a woman in the corporate world, as I am, a whirl, and then rethink this....

I am a professional and I actually get paid less than my female counterpart.

Sure thing, where do I trade in my penis for the day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is such nonsense. Women are not paid less because they are women or because they are discriminated against. Women are on average paid less because of the choices they make. If you control for variables like the occupation, hours per week worked, career position etc. the "wage gap" disappears.
Reply 9
Original post by Sequin Rugby
This is such nonsense. Women are not paid less because they are women or because they are discriminated against. Women are on average paid less because of the choices they make. If you control for variables like the occupation, hours per week worked, career position etc. the "wage gap" disappears.

That's under the assumption it actually exists. According to official stats it doesn't. In fact in America and Asian woman earns more than a White male.
the world would be a better place tomorrow if the daily express and daily mail disappeared
I am a professional and I actually get paid less than my female counterpart.

Probably illegal and definitely happens.

I've been in the same situation. In my case it's because of the aggressive scumbag environment I've been in.
In that environment you see women getting a bad deal all over the place, and across the wider sector.

Sector stats that aren't distorted by maternity leave should only be considered.
Also, women can be less aggressive negotiating pay and end up with less.
Reply 13
Probably illegal and definitely happens.

I've been in the same situation. In my case it's because of the aggressive scumbag environment I've been in.
In that environment you see women getting a bad deal all over the place, and across the wider sector.

Sector stats that aren't distorted by maternity leave should only be considered.

What industry are you in?

What I just simply do not get is that a lot of people who campaign against say sexism in STEM fields choose to do a Gender Studies degree instead of a STEM related degree
What industry are you in?

What I just simply do not get is that a lot of people who campaign against say sexism in STEM fields choose to do a Gender Studies degree instead of a STEM related degree

Finance

And yes! It doesn't help does it! And then understandably STEM women want to distance themselves from the others.

Ugh gender studies.
I don't have any experience in the corporate world. From a statistical viewpoint the article seems to have some significant holes.

- Why doesn't it compare the men & women in the same jobs? It just compares all those in full-time work without considering if men & women go into different careers that pay different amounts.

- Again on the CEO/Senior Exec front, it doesn't take into account that women & men may run different sizes/types of companies (I don't know if they do but I'd definitely consider it as a factor to check). A CEO of a FTSE 100 company is likely to earn a lot more than a CEO of a much smaller company. Yet they're both "CEOs."

Again, I'm not denying the conclusions of the article but its statistical analysis seems to be flawed and lumbering towards a predetermined outcome.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Finance

And yes! It doesn't help does it! And then understandably STEM women want to distance themselves from the others.

Ugh gender studies.

I thought finance was becoming better in allowing women to access it more?

It's such a ridiculous stance to take! I really don't believe we can exonerate the root cause of the issue.
I thought finance was becoming better in allowing women to access it more?

It's such a ridiculous stance to take! I really don't believe we can exonerate the root cause of the issue.

The problem isn't necessarily the access but the culture. Most women don't make it to senior management because they find it very hard to survive in a culture that is quite 'laddish'. This is clearly not the case across the board, but in the highest paying sections (S&T and IBD), the culture is very 'laddish' and any individual who doesn't fit it is immediately cut (be they female or male). I experienced this first hand when girls were not invited to nights out with other Analysts because we all knew we would be ending up at a strip bar and that would be highly awkward with a female colleague.

That is not to say that individuals do not discriminate based on gender or race, but there is no institutional discrimination in place.
Also, women can be less aggressive negotiating pay and end up with less.

Also, women tend to negotiate more for flexible hours than men, who generally negotiate only for pay rises
Reply 19
Original post by Aceadria
The problem isn't necessarily the access but the culture. Most women don't make it to senior management because they find it very hard to survive in a culture that is quite 'laddish'. This is clearly not the case across the board, but in the highest paying sections (S&T and IBD), the culture is very 'laddish' and any individual who doesn't fit it is immediately cut (be they female or male). I experienced this first hand when girls were not invited to nights out with other Analysts because we all knew we would be ending up at a strip bar and that would be highly awkward with a female colleague.

That is not to say that individuals do not discriminate based on gender or race, but there is no institutional discrimination in place.

PRSOM

It's interesting you bring up this. See, my Dad works in finance, and has mostly male colleagues, yet, he claims most his female colleagues are treated no different, in fact they tend to act the same way that they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending