The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry People!

Scroll to see replies

is anyone here doing a2 ocr biology alongside chem?
Reply 81
Original post by Applescruff

For me it's proton NMR and 90% of transition metals that are going to ruin me :frown:

I'm exactly the same with NMR and transition metals. Personally I've found writing out the reactions of each transition metal with the colours underneath a few times a week has been the only way I've been able to remember them, but I can't sugar coat it - it's so tedious! I've yet to find a method to learn NMR though!
Finished A2 2 weeks ago, took me 2 months to get through everything intensively. Been getting A's and the occasional A* in past papers which is nice too.

Favorite thing: Organic chemistry & redox titrations
Least favorite thing: Electrochemical cells & NMR
was wondering how to 'learn' mechanisms? i always get confused is it best to actually understand whats going on as i've never really understood the theory behind that lmao or can u just memorise the diagrams and what to write (if writing is necessary)
Explaining trends in transition metals is like finding the gradient of the sides of a square :s-smilie:
okay check your inbox & trust me they do it every year apparently :frown:
Swear OCR want me to memorise every colour under the sun as part of some reaction or another

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I the only one here who found AQA Unit 5 A2 Chemistry the easiest?
I'm with you on that.

People told me it was the worst as there was loads to remember but I soon realized Born-Haber is just Hess 2.0, the period 3 reactions just a slightly deeper insight into AS periodicity stuff.

Remembering colors/formulas of transition metal complexes is somewhat tedious, but just like the organic pathways in CHEM4 the only way you get better is by going through it over and over again until it becomes second nature.
Reply 89
Anyone doing AQA A2 chemisty ISA's soon? Hate those things :argh:
Original post by BeckaH2
Anyone doing AQA A2 chemisty ISA's soon? Hate those things :argh:

Yep! Just did my first experiment today
me too
Anyone done the iron tablets one?
Original post by RME11
I'm with you on that.

People told me it was the worst as there was loads to remember but I soon realized Born-Haber is just Hess 2.0, the period 3 reactions just a slightly deeper insight into AS periodicity stuff.

Remembering colors/formulas of transition metal complexes is somewhat tedious, but just like the organic pathways in CHEM4 the only way you get better is by going through it over and over again until it becomes second nature.

How many hours per unit would you recommend? I'm resitting CHEM 1, 2 and 4 this summer and I dunno how many hours per unit
anyone thats doing/done iron tablets PM me :smile:
Hard to say really, I devoted a day of studying to each "Sub unit" so generally 5-6 hrs. My routine was to watch as many revision videos as I could on the subject, whilst making some condensed but good notes and then going through some exercises on A-levelchemistry, going back on anything I didn't understand/get right.
Reply 96
Original post by Amellia123
Yep! Just did my first experiment today

Hey how did it go? Which one did you start with?
Original post by BeckaH2

It went well thank you :smile: I did the iodine clock one
Original post by Akhalifa
Have you done the exam and the practical ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeckaH2

What have you done so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest