The Student Room Group

A rant over my physics teacher

Basically I need to let this out. Feel free to chime in and add solutions. I don't know exactly where this should go so feel free to tell me if I got it wrong. I'm in the Southern Hemisphere btw, so our school year has just started (AS Level equivalent).

My physics teacher is so annoying. I used to be down at the very back of the class, and she starts picking on me over the other back people probably just because she's memorised my name and could see me more clearly. She has a very confrontational style of teaching, in that she writes a random problem on the board, talks throughout you working it out, then picks on random people to answer it about a minute later.

I need time to process information, and usually the process can be sped up with everyone quiet which is why I do alright in exams. However, I'm halfway through the problem every time and she asks what my answer is. This became a regular habit after I failed to answer the second time. Basically, I'm honest with her and say I haven't done it. Naturally she yells at me in front of the class and so the following times I turn to my classmates answers. Again, yelled at because apparently I won't have my classmates there in the exam with me (I will, but they'll be quiet. And I don't see you picking on people who talk to people to get their answers, ms). The final straw that put me to the front of the class was that someone at my table asked me a question. Turned my head and opened my mouth to answer it and she yelled at me for talking. I said that my classmate was the one talking and she sent me to the front. She said she would not have anyone failing at the back, even though the only reason I ever fail tests is because I don't put the effort in. I was this time.

Did I improve? I'm now bit faster with my processing, but that's only because I'm nervous as hell whenever I do them. I've been diagnosed with generalised anxiety (whatever that excuse gives me nowadays) so I've got a big problem with that. An even bigger concern for me is that I want to take physics next year and I enjoy the subject. This teacher would be good if she would change her teaching style to something a bit more relaxed, but as it is she makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. The chances of getting her next year above 50/50, and I don't want my last year of secondary school to be plagued with difficulty.

Rant over. Suggestions on how to deal with this are welcome.
Original post by Guest5881
Basically I need to let this out. Feel free to chime in and add solutions. I don't know exactly where this should go so feel free to tell me if I got it wrong. I'm in the Southern Hemisphere btw, so our school year has just started (AS Level equivalent).

My physics teacher is so annoying. I used to be down at the very back of the class, and she starts picking on me over the other back people probably just because she's memorised my name and could see me more clearly. She has a very confrontational style of teaching, in that she writes a random problem on the board, talks throughout you working it out, then picks on random people to answer it about a minute later.

I need time to process information, and usually the process can be sped up with everyone quiet which is why I do alright in exams. However, I'm halfway through the problem every time and she asks what my answer is. This became a regular habit after I failed to answer the second time. Basically, I'm honest with her and say I haven't done it. Naturally she yells at me in front of the class and so the following times I turn to my classmates answers. Again, yelled at because apparently I won't have my classmates there in the exam with me (I will, but they'll be quiet. And I don't see you picking on people who talk to people to get their answers, ms). The final straw that put me to the front of the class was that someone at my table asked me a question. Turned my head and opened my mouth to answer it and she yelled at me for talking. I said that my classmate was the one talking and she sent me to the front. She said she would not have anyone failing at the back, even though the only reason I ever fail tests is because I don't put the effort in. I was this time.

Did I improve? I'm now bit faster with my processing, but that's only because I'm nervous as hell whenever I do them. I've been diagnosed with generalised anxiety (whatever that excuse gives me nowadays) so I've got a big problem with that. An even bigger concern for me is that I want to take physics next year and I enjoy the subject. This teacher would be good if she would change her teaching style to something a bit more relaxed, but as it is she makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. The chances of getting her next year above 50/50, and I don't want my last year of secondary school to be plagued with difficulty.

You could maybe talk to the head of department about their teaching style? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
You could maybe talk to the head of department about their teaching style? :smile:

RIP in that case, she is the head of department.
RIP in that case, she is the head of department.

Talk to the Headmaser then

1. Don't say you haven't done it, that's one of the worst possible things you could say because that makes the teacher assume you haven't don or started the question at all, if you intend to finish the question just tell her you need more time or something like , just wait a sec i'm finishing the question.
2. unless you're terrible at getting other people to give and share their answers you shouldn't be caught.
3. these kinds of situations are hard to deal with and the person asking the question will want an answer , keeping in mind you can choose to give him an answer or not so the best choice to go with if you want to give that person an answer is to whisper quietly, only talk to them when the teacher faces the board or isn't looking. There's not much you can do after that and if she catches you just state that you were helping that person to understand something.
4. From my own experience i really hated this chemistry teacher and i hoped that in my AS levels i wouldn't get him but my worst fears were confirmed when i saw my timetable with his initials on it. I absolutely hated him for 3 months because i always believed that he was a really horrendous teacher and didn't ever teach me anything due to his procrastination in lessons and telling me life stories, however a few months later i said hey why not try and accept this teacher i should have him for 2 years now, my teacher ain't gonna change so the only thing left to change is ME. From that moment on when i decided to change my attitude in class and learn to ignore his bs and listen to the useful parts, only then did i realise that he wasn't a bad teacher at all, i just had to ADAPT to his teaching style.
p.s she does sound like she's picking on you though.....
Reply 5
Original post by thefatone
1. Don't say you haven't done it, that's one of the worst possible things you could say because that makes the teacher assume you haven't don or started the question at all, if you intend to finish the question just tell her you need more time or something like , just wait a sec i'm finishing the question.
2. unless you're terrible at getting other people to give and share their answers you shouldn't be caught.
3. these kinds of situations are hard to deal with and the person asking the question will want an answer , keeping in mind you can choose to give him an answer or not so the best choice to go with if you want to give that person an answer is to whisper quietly, only talk to them when the teacher faces the board or isn't looking. There's not much you can do after that and if she catches you just state that you were helping that person to understand something.
4. From my own experience i really hated this chemistry teacher and i hoped that in my AS levels i wouldn't get him but my worst fears were confirmed when i saw my timetable with his initials on it. I absolutely hated him for 3 months because i always believed that he was a really horrendous teacher and didn't ever teach me anything due to his procrastination in lessons and telling me life stories, however a few months later i said hey why not try and accept this teacher i should have him for 2 years now, my teacher ain't gonna change so the only thing left to change is ME. From that moment on when i decided to change my attitude in class and learn to ignore his bs and listen to the useful parts, only then did i realise that he wasn't a bad teacher at all, i just had to ADAPT to his teaching style.
p.s she does sound like she's picking on you though.....

Thanks for that really good post. I'll probably have more to say in a bit, but thanks haha, I'll try and utilise what you've said.
Thanks for that really good post. I'll probably have more to say in a bit, but thanks haha, I'll try and utilise what you've said.

yay :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest