The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway to tear down statue of Victoria?

Scroll to see replies

The real elephant in the common room is Imperial University. This institution dares to call itself after the vile racist exploitation apparatus which was the British Empire.
Shame on them !

All Imperial students should be banned from TSR until their alma mater is renamed Winnie Mandela University or Mao Zedong Knowledge Factory
Original post by the bear
The real elephant in the common room is Imperial University. This institution dares to call itself after the vile racist exploitation apparatus which was the British Empire.
Shame on them !

All Imperial students should be banned from TSR until their alma mater is renamed Winnie Mandela University or Mao Zedong Knowledge Factory

Well, they're mostly studying STEM subjects so they're probably too busy focusing on how to make sure our planet doesn't die. Let's debate STEM vs. Humanities now.
Reply 43
Original post by the bear
Shame on them !

Ha ha ha! That is absolutely correct, shame on them, the wicked colonialist oppressors. :biggrin:

Birmingham University is in the frame also. Founded by Joseph Chamberlain, the political sponsor of the fountain of all evil, Cecil Rhodes himself.

There is a big clock tower called Old Joe in his honour. That has to be renamed, or maybe dynamited?

Actually shouldn't we blow up the whole country? Then not a trace of the wickedness of the Empire will remain and we will be o the safe side.

Then we will finally and definitely make amends for the guilt felt on all our behalfs by a few left wing student tossers. Sounds like a plan.
Reply 44

Putin's mouthpiece. He is probably trying to weaponise Queen Vic's statue. :biggrin:
Original post by JezWeCan!
Putin's mouthpiece. He is probably trying to weaponise Queen Vic's statue. :biggrin:

Sorry, who's Putin's mouthpiece? Not me?!
Original post by generallee

Nelson wasn't a dickhead, Chaotic. He was many things, brave, a military genius, the greatest sailor who ever lived, perhaps, an energetic lover, the saviour of his country and the whole of Europe from military dictatorship. All those things. But a dickhead? Not so much.

You do realise that your views are so off the wall that you might as well be talking to yourself, right?

There is acceptable, reasonable opinion than there there is what you think. Go off and start a campaign to rename Trafalgar Square, "Victims of Slavery Square."

Go on, you know you want to. :biggrin:

Says the guy that quoted himself. I don;t see what anyone else thinks has anything to do with what I think.

We can have Statues of Nelson. I don;t think I would want to see the statue of Victoria come down in Manchester. It's part of history. Even if I think we should be a republic. I don't mind. That statue was erected a few years after the republican Kier Hardy was in Westminster giving a speech about a pit disaster being ignored for the more important matter of a Royal sprog.

I can still call Nelson a dick head. The two views are not mutually imcombatable. If me saying so triggers a bunch of imperialist apologists then good. I shall have to verbally defame our stupid heroes more often.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I can still call Nelson a dick head. The two views are not mutually imcombatable. If me saying so triggers a bunch of imperialist apologists then good. I shall have to verbally defame our stupid heroes more often.

Of course you can call Nelson a dickhead. You can say he had three heads if you like. But for that to be anything more than a content free comment you need to provide empirical evidence.

In what way was he a dickhead?
Reply 49

Great news!

The Indy, Times and Mail haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, though.

It took Putin's mouthpiece, Russia Today to break the story that it wasn't a story.

Do you think the Sunday Times (where I saw the story) will publish an apology and retraction?

Me neither.
Original post by generallee

Being a yank in revolutionary times he didn't give a stuff about the sort of heraldic bs that (some) English people get worked up about and stole the coat of arms of a defunct Earldom that has passed to the Prince of Wales for hundreds of years.

Good on him, I like his style.

You are bringing out my inner Wat Tyler!

On the contrary he was turfed out of the American colonies by the rebels, ended up in Nova Scotia and died in London.

Q: Who led the Pedant's Revolt?

A: Which Tyler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending