The Student Room Group

Should I resit a year?

Hi, so I am about to finish my first year on a nutrition and health degree but after a lot of ruminating I am set on going into medicine. I can get into medicine with a nutrition degree but feel as though a biomedical degree would be more conducive; as well as the content being more applicable. But, if I were to study biomedical science, I would have to start at year one (effectively losing a year). In foresight the nutrition degree would get me to medicine faster (maybe..) but I would enjoy the biomed content a lot more. What should I do?
As you can see from the list here there are many Universities which either don't require a specific subject for the accelerated GEM course or just vaguely say that any science or life science degree will do.

Your nutrition and health degree would be fine for many schools (and you can always call to confirm). If you prefer biomed then by all means go for it but as a means for entry into the accelerated course, I don't think it's worth it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
As you can see from the list here there are many Universities which either don't require a specific subject for the accelerated GEM course and others vaguely say that any science or life science degree will do.

Your nutrition and health degree would be fine for many schools (and you can always call to confirm). If you prefer biomed then by all means go for it but as a means for entry into the accelerated course, I don't think it's worth it.

Hi K, thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. The issue causing me the most issue is the content and what I may do after graduating. I much prefer all the content on the biomed course and also if I grad with a nutrition degree and dont get into medicine I might not be able to continue in any other field than nutrition. I dont know why i did it, i just arbritarily picked nutrition as a degree
Original post by OliverHartless
Hi K, thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. The issue causing me the most issue is the content and what I may do after graduating. I much prefer all the content on the biomed course and also if I grad with a nutrition degree and dont get into medicine I might not be able to continue in any other field than nutrition. I dont know why i did it, i just arbritarily picked nutrition as a degree

I don't want to be a downer, but a lot of medical schools have a policy not to accept applications from people who've previously left a degree incomplete/failed a degree. Although, as a poster above has said, there are plenty of graduate entry programmes that would be open to you with your current degree.

(That said, you may want to ring a few medical schools and ask them whether they would count a transfer to biomedical science at the same university the same as 'failing to complete a degree' before making any decisions.)
Reply 4
Could you ask your university if it would be possible to transfer to another course that might be more relevant/interesting to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending