The Student Room Group

Daily Mail trying to be SJWs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOpinion
I thought finance was becoming better in allowing women to access it more?

It's such a ridiculous stance to take! I really don't believe we can exonerate the root cause of the issue.

Everything that Aceadria says!
Original post by Aceadria
The problem isn't necessarily the access but the culture. Most women don't make it to senior management because they find it very hard to survive in a culture that is quite 'laddish'. This is clearly not the case across the board, but in the highest paying sections (S&T and IBD), the culture is very 'laddish' and any individual who doesn't fit it is immediately cut (be they female or male). I experienced this first hand when girls were not invited to nights out with other Analysts because we all knew we would be ending up at a strip bar and that would be highly awkward with a female colleague.

That is not to say that individuals do not discriminate based on gender or race, but there is no institutional discrimination in place.

Yep my CV is all S&T and IDB, thankfully I've survived and not been killed, I actually love my boys, but to get to the top I would really need to grow testicles.
The comments are hilarious as usual

"non existent gender pay lie AGAIN DM" non existant?? Rich, coming from a man who has never had a woman's pay. Do you even work Lewis? even at a McD the boys get a higher wage, just for being boys. I imagine you are a benefits scrounger, because i think its the only place were things are not based on gender
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

maxresdefault.jpg
Reply 24

The irony being that they are probably paid less for the simple fact they cannot make a coherent sentence
So they're using random instances of unfair pocket money giving, to a mythical pay gap?

I wonder if that idiot has a citation for McDon's paying boys more.
Get over yourself. So many problems in the world. First world silly problems.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Oh come on, it's kinda funny.. (particularly given all the winging that took place yesterday/if your sister actually got more than you) :shakecane:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi + young men are now the ones facing a pay gap

True it's kind of funny, you can't take DM seriously, but when you are not in school (like most of the posters here) and in a very male environment... being paid less ain't so funny. But that's in my area, not everyone's.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Indeed so

Demand the same level of basic, and if the rest isn't commensurate with performance then raise the issue with HR

HR aren't on your side
Comparing apples and oranges as usual.
Reminds me of the video where they had little girls effing and blinding to push their point.
This pisses me off so much, because people actually believe this crap. DO SOME RESEARCH FFS. Even big media companies don't know how to research, wow.
The statistics that show a wage gap always have the same flaws:

Doesn't consider amount of hours worked. (When accounted for, total women pay = 0.91 x total male pay, significantly higher than the overly-quoted 0.78. And this is only one extra factor)
Doesn't consider qualifications.
Doesn't consider their job.
Doesn't consider experience in field.
Doesn't consider lifestyle choices/ needs.

The one, single thing that it considers, it the total average pay of all women in all jobs against the total average pay of all men in all jobs.

So saying the "statistical evidence" implies that "women are paid less for the same work" is as stupid as saying we live in a patriarchy because women footballers earn less than men footballers... -_-

If I was ever to get really angry, and protest, a certain belief, I'd bloody do my research. Seems like they didn't.
They do use actual data to come up with the wage gap, it's just strongly misleading and therefore mis-interpreted. If you add all every penny a women makes, and compare it to every penny a man makes, ignoring every other factor, the female population earns less than the male population. The problem is that people seem unable to see why this statement has no bearing on inequality in pay.
Surprised the Daily Mail is actually mentioning something worthwhile.
Original post by Craig1998
Surprised the Daily Mail is actually mentioning something worthwhile.

Sarcasm?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Sarcasm?

What makes you think so?
Original post by Craig1998
What makes you think so?

Well it was either sarcasm, because of how bluntly you put it. Or it's a troll to get reactions, because of how you insulted the opposing side. However now I think about it, people usually argue their extremist points but I guess your point doesn't have any backing so you can't argue it, so it may be real. Just seems unlikely, plus I assumed you're a young male from your TSR name, which further increases the chances of troll/ sarcasm.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Well it was either sarcasm, because of how bluntly you put it. Or it's a troll to get reactions, because of how you insulted the opposing side. However now I think about it, people usually argue their extremist points but I guess your point doesn't have any backing so you can't argue it, so it may be real. Just seems unlikely, plus I assumed you're a young male from your TSR name, which further increases the chances of troll/ sarcasm.

I'm not a troll, I just rarely see anything insightful or interesting from the Daily Mail, especially the comments section. I'm not being sarcastic either. It's hardly as if the Daily Mail is pandering to SJW's, this was the children's reactions and all they're doing is reporting on that.
Very science, much reliable, wow!

Quick Reply

Latest