The Student Room Group

Is it time all illegal drugs are legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MountKimbie
In the world where drugs are legalized I meant.

+why do you ask?
Reply 121
I don't think that drugs like meth or crack should ever be legalized. The damage that they do to the body is unbelievable. And because they are so addictive they are a common tool of pimps - get the girl on crack and she'll work the streets. It enslaves people. There are lots of hookers in my area and every one of them is a drug-dependent zombie - 22 looking 48.

Now, apart from these and a few other really nasty bastard drugs I'm all for legalising (or at the very least de-criminalising) The war on drugs has been a disaster.
Not really. Ain't coke bad for ya or something? Did some of you skipped health class? How would that be regulated safely? At least there would be less drug dealers. Why would I buy meth from Mike down the street when I can buy a big stack of it legally and overdose cheapier? Now that is a good idea. Make it easier for others to go their "needs", and then take money from other people to fix them up. Free easy assess to drugs for everybody.

I don't believe anyone should be serving hardcore time for possessing drugs but didn't anyone thought maybe, just maybe, not legalizing all drugs was a good thing? I don't care of someone wants to overdose or be crack addict in their comfort of their home but making easier for people to buy it from the drug store? People would be eager to try it, and pick up a "habit". Then there would be a real war on drugs where people string on it in are broad daylight and getting it from stores like candy.

Just cuz it would be legal =/= good. Cigarettes are no good for you, and too much alcohol is bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Macy1998
Not really. Ain't coke bad for ya or something? Did some of you skipped health class? How would that be regulated safely? At least there would be less drug dealers. Why would I buy meth from Mike down the street when I can buy a big stack of it legally and overdose cheapier? Now that is a good idea. Make it easier for others to go their "needs", and then take money from other people to fix them up. Free easy assess to drugs for everybody.

I don't believe anyone should be serving hardcore time for possessing drugs but didn't anyone thought maybe, just maybe, not legalizing all drugs was a good thing? I don't care of someone wants to overdose or be crack addict in their comfort of their home but making easier for people to buy it from the drug store? People would be eager to try it, and pick up a "habit". Then there would be a real war on drugs where people string on it in are broad daylight and getting it from stores like candy.

Just cuz it would be legal =/= good. Cigarettes are no good for you, and too much alcohol is bad.

Honestly, there are some flaws in your logic. I think there's a danger in making all drugs readily available but there's a danger in them being illegal too. If they're illegal they're totally unregulated and cut with all kinds of other more dangerous substances. I believe there's a concept where people can go to centres where dangerous IV drugs are administered by professionals which definitely has merit. How you go about making them available without flooding society with them or not giving incentives for them to be made in less than professional settings, I'm not too sure. There definitely needs to be research, drug education and warnings. There's no doubt there.

Also, I wouldn't pay too much attention to health classes. Tons of misinformation there. Granted cocaine is probably one of the few that the truth is well known of.
Original post by alexs2602
Honestly, there are some flaws in your logic. I think there's a danger in making all drugs readily available but there's a danger in them being illegal too. If they're illegal they're totally unregulated and cut with all kinds of other more dangerous substances. I believe there's a concept where people can go to centres where dangerous IV drugs are administered by professionals which definitely has merit. How you go about making them available without flooding society with them or not giving incentives for them to be made in less than professional settings, I'm not too sure. There definitely needs to be research, drug education and warnings. There's no doubt there.

Also, I wouldn't pay too much attention to health classes. Tons of misinformation there. Granted cocaine is probably one of the few that the truth is well known of.

Never said I was the most persuasive person, and thanks for being gentle with pointing out the flaws. Illegal or legal, there are consequences. Isn't it easy to get hooked on potential lethal drugs like coke? I never tried so I have no first hand experience on that. The health class was half joke/half serious. Guess society is going to make drugs illegal first to "test" it out and filter out the bugs and not what to do's to figure out to make it "safer" but I'm doubting the government is going to invest in that since there is plenty of room for errors. Also why would professionals allow people to get dangerous drugs anyway? Just the sound of dangerous in a sentence is alarming.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Actually, chances are that most of the people who take drugs are far more successful than you'll ever be.

Those who take drugs are largely violent anti-social losers that don't have jobs, leech off the state, and commit crime. I find it ironic that someone with a post history largely comprised of talk about football clubs is lecturing me on success.
Original post by jamesthehustler
my personal opinion is to legalise natural drugs so most opiates, weed, cocaine

Cocaine isn't natural :rofl: Only its base product is, the rest is synthetic
Isn't it easy to get hooked on potential lethal drugs like coke? I never tried so I have no first hand experience on that.

Not nearly as easily as tobacco a little easier than alcohol.

Also why would professionals allow people to get dangerous drugs anyway? Just the sound of dangerous in a sentence is alarming.
A bit like extreme sports?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sequin Rugby
Those who take drugs are largely violent anti-social losers that don't have jobs, leech off the state, and commit crime. I find it ironic that someone with a post history largely comprised of talk about football clubs is lecturing me on success.

Source?

Or is that just your own stereotype of drug users?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Source?

Or is that just your own stereotype of drug users?

Undeniably a bunch of sociopaths.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Undeniably a bunch of sociopaths.

Tbf, LSD is probably a very good tool for creative thinking. Given you can see what you're thinking.
Reply 131
Original post by Castro Saint
Quite simply... yes.

One example video I like to refer to:

[video="youtube;W8yYJ_oV6xk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yYJ_oV6xk[/video]

Well I voted no, but having watched this video and some of the excellent logical points he makes, I almost want to change my vote, fair play to him, his experience puts him in a good position to make an informed argument and he is probably right in saying that it wouldn't necessarily increase drug use, anyone who wants drugs now will find a way to acquire them most likely and a licensed and regulated market is better than a criminal, violent gang controlled market that causes countless deaths all across the Americas. I can't see politicians ever listening to this point of view though.
Tbf, LSD is probably a very good tool for creative thinking. Given you can see what you're thinking.

I'm not sure what you mean by you can see what you're thinking, but I do agree it's great for mapping out deeply embedded ideas/thoughts, for the creative process or for self improvement.

You are gonna be in for a pretty big shock when you finally come to realise just how common drug use is among white, middle class, educated professionals.
Original post by MountKimbie
I'm not sure what you mean by you can see what you're thinking, but I do agree it's great for mapping out deeply embedded ideas/thoughts, for the creative process or for self improvement.

As in a lot of thoughts happen subconsciously. And because of increased cross-talk between different areas of the brain, you can get visual hallucinations that are basically your subconscious thoughts.
As in a lot of thoughts happen subconsciously. And because of increased cross-talk between different areas of the brain, you can get visual hallucinations that are basically your subconscious thoughts.

You can't really will hallucinations into existence on LSD. They're more like visual distortions - fractal patterns, breathing surfaces, visual tracers, bright colours, objects appearing to stretch and warp and take on different textures, synesthesia, loss of depth perception, kaleidoscopic closed-eye visuals and so on. It's not like your thoughts are projected onto reality.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Captain Haddock
You can't really will hallucinations into existence on LSD. They're more like visual distortions - fractal patterns, breathing surfaces, visual tracers, bright colours, objects appearing to stretch and warp and take on different textures, synesthesia, loss of depth perception, kaleidoscopic closed-eye visuals and so on. It's not like your thoughts are projected onto reality.

Well yeah not exactly onto reality but there is an element to it. E.g. Kary Mullis visualized the DNA strands coming apart and then had the idea behind PCR.
Original post by ivybridge
It could mean that my children in the future have easy access to things which could kill them, for one thing. If it was legal, people could do them before working or during work and give customers risky services, another thing. There are quite a few ways.

The pro-legalisation argument isn't weak but it is too full of this: "how does it affect you?" *******s.

That is already the case, unless you plan to keep your house free of knives, bleach, plug sockets, small objects they could choke on, and much, much else.

Ahh so you're under the false presumption that the typical drug taker is the Jeremy Kyle applicant type? Cute. Congratulations on showing everyone just how naive and pitiful you are, all in one short post. If you had implemented any research whatsoever, you'd know that those with higher IQ's are actually more likely to take drugs. Lets also just ignore all those middle class children popping ecstasy tablets and snorting coke every weekend shall we? Oh and while we're at it, throw all your cd's and your music files into the bin. After all, most of your favourite musicians will have been "violent anti-social losers who leeched off the state and committed crimes" according to your logic.

Also, in future, at least attempt to try and come up with a decent ad-hom attack. Last time I checked there isn't a correlation between success and liking football, which also happens to be the most popular sport in the world.

I won't even bother going into your username and the fact you uploaded that display picture.... ha.
Original post by knapdarloch
Not nearly as easily as tobacco a little easier than alcohol.

A bit like extreme sports?

True. Is it possible because ciggerates are easier to get and legal to smoke, and cheaper?

I never heard a professional doctor recommend coke or meth for better performances but if you find a source, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending