The Student Room Group

"International Women's Day is sexist."

I was quite speechless.

Scroll to see replies

Well it is. Just as International Men's Day is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aye we should ban it along with damned international men day in November, just have an international human day.....which we SORT of have in international human rights day (in December)
Reply 3
Original post by Aceadria
I was quite speechless.

sexismˈsɛksɪz(ə)m/noun

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women"

On what grounds could anyone say it is sexist?
The TSR gentlemen's club is organising an "International Gentlemens day" if anyone's interested.

We all gather round, put on hats, drink port and smoke cigars (or vape) and do loads of business deals based on handshakes.

Anyone interested, I'll send you my Paypal address. Only 10,000 tickets left. Hurry, before they sell out.
I understand the intent, but the day does come across a little patronising, don't you think? Here you go, girls, a day dedicated to you where we all congratulate you for having careers, call you strong, but at the same time act like you're weak and vulnerable, and give out the people participation trophies. Girl power, woo!
Everyday is international men's day. We've done everything that makes Western civilization the most advanced civilization ever.
Reply 7
Original post by Dandaman1
I understand the intent, but the day does come across a little patronising, don't you think? Here you go, girls, a day dedicated to you where we all congratulate you for having careers, call you strong, but at the same time act like you're weak and vulnerable, and give out the people participation trophies. Girl power, woo!

Are you taking the stance that it was men who 'let' International Women's Day happen?

I seriously doubt that.
Original post by frankieboy
The TSR gentlemen's club is organising an "International Gentlemens day" if anyone's interested.

We all gather round, put on hats, drink port and smoke cigars (or vape) and do loads of business deals based on handshakes.

Anyone interested, I'll send you my Paypal address. Only 10,000 tickets left. Hurry, before they sell out.

Yes thanks
It's not more 'sexist' than international men's day, calm yourself :u:
Original post by Blondie987
It's not more 'sexist' than international men's day, calm yourself :u:

Theres a international mens day?
Well honestly I only found about international womens day like yesterday or today.
Original post by Dandaman1

Er no, scroll down the page to find threads were girls are being advised to not have any contact with boys because their oppressive religion says so ...

Still needed for some.
Original post by leavingthecity
Yes thanks

You require one of those silly fake moustaches, please organise this for yourself.

Also, if you don't have a hat, bowlers and trilbys are available at reception on the way in for a reasonable fee.
Original post by Kholmes1
Theres a international mens day?
Well honestly I only found about international womens day like yesterday or today.

Yup, 19th November
Both are important days in the calendar if we want to resolve our issues that either gender faces.

Out of interest, did the BBC even say anything about international men's day when it was international men's day? I can't remember them mentioning it
Sexist? How so.

I believe there's an international mens day.

Also, international womens day doesn't degrade men.

So no, logically not sexist. But nice try.
Original post by frankieboy
You require one of those silly fake moustaches, please organise this for yourself.

Also, if you don't have a hat, bowlers and trilbys are available at reception on the way in for a reasonable fee.

I don't own any shoes with laces, what should happen?
They should change it to International Bash Men Day. They could have took this opportunity to draw attention to sex slavey or FGM going on in the world but most of the stuff I've heard all day is how uncomfortable some women get when they get complimented by someone inferior to them ie men.
Original post by leavingthecity
Er no, scroll down the page to find threads were girls are being advised to not have any contact with boys because their oppressive religion says so ...

Still needed for some.

I do wonder if only a day will be enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aceadria
I do wonder if only a day will be enough.

Indeed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending