The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Environmental Technology 2016

Has anyone gotten accepted into the MSc Env Technology program at Imperial ? If so, how long did it take after you applied to hear back?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Soi89093
Has anyone gotten accepted into the MSc Env Technology program at Imperial ? If so, how long did it take after you applied to hear back?

I am applying for this year as well, but submitted my application recently and haven't heard anything back yet.

How about you? What option did you apply for?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by vananhdo
I am applying for this year as well, but submitted my application recently and haven't heard anything back yet.

How about you? What option did you apply for?

I submitted on January 15th. I thought it is supposed to take 6-8 weeks but it's coming up on 8 weeks no response. I wonder if being international plays a role. I applied for water management as my first option and environmental analysis and assessment as my second. How about you ?.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I submitted on January 15th. I thought it is supposed to take 6-8 weeks but it's coming up on 8 weeks no response. I wonder if being international plays a role. I applied for water management as my first option and environmental analysis and assessment as my second. How about you ?.

I am not sure how it goes but I just applied 2 weeks ago, so I should take more patience. I applied for Energy Policy option, and for now I am not sure what I can do to prepare for the interview.

Do you think it's because they are waiting for more applications to evaluate the quality of applications this year before making any interview arrangement and final offer?
Reply 4
I am not sure how it goes but I just applied 2 weeks ago, so I should take more patience. I applied for Energy Policy option, and for now I am not sure what I can do to prepare for the interview.

Do you think it's because they are waiting for more applications to evaluate the quality of applications this year before making any interview arrangement and final offer?

Apparently, Imperial is known for taking their time. But, I have no idea. Kind of posted on this forum to find more people in the same situation. Goodluck to you! Ill let you know if i hear back
Apparently, Imperial is known for taking their time. But, I have no idea. Kind of posted on this forum to find more people in the same situation. Goodluck to you! Ill let you know if i hear back

They are known to take their time but if they have taken longer than 8 weeks (from the time both references were accepted). Then you should contact them.
Reply 6
Original post by Oilfreak1
They are known to take their time but if they have taken longer than 8 weeks (from the time both references were accepted). Then you should contact them.

Thanks for the input. If it is from the time my references were accepted then it has only been 6 weeks. I guess I will call in two weeks.
Reply 7
Hi!
I've also applied to the Env Tech for environmental economics. I sent my application off on 2 March and was invited to an interview 11.3. for tomorrow (16.3.).
It said 'short discussion' though I'm preparing for anything to come up. If any of you had interviews so far, I'd love to hear from you!

Re: the long waiting times, I could imagine it's just that you applied during busy times, as everything goes through the same office for screening first. Hope you'll hear back soon and good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Scot_kit
Hi!
I've also applied to the Env Tech for environmental economics. I sent my application off on 2 March and was invited to an interview 11.3. for tomorrow (16.3.).
It said 'short discussion' though I'm preparing for anything to come up. If any of you had interviews so far, I'd love to hear from you!

Re: the long waiting times, I could imagine it's just that you applied during busy times, as everything goes through the same office for screening first. Hope you'll hear back soon and good luck!

Good luck with your interview. I have no idea how the interview will go.

I applied on 28 Feb, but for the Energy Policy option, so I am not sure whether different convenors review the application and decide the interview or not.
Reply 9
Hi!

Wow that is awesome ! Let us know how it goes! I called Imperial on Friday and the guy I spoke to said that most people should hear back before Easter.
Reply 10
I applied to MSC Envi. Tech (Energy Policy) in late December, though my second reference was only submitted seven weeks ago. Overall trend seems to be that Energy Policy might be a slightly longer wait?
Reply 11
Hi everyone!

thanks vananhdo, Soi89093 and Kadzum :-)
I just had my interview. The questions are really helpful and designed for them to gauge whether you really understand what the course and your chosen option is about. He also gave me an idea of what the year will be like, including topics covered in the option term, so I don't walk into it thinking this degree is something it's not. It might make sense to look through old notes for keywords of what you have done in your modules, as the same module title can vary in content between unis.
The interview was less than 30 minutes long. At the end he talked me through what happens next. He will send his recommendation ( he is not allowed to tell me whether it's a yes or a no) to the registry and they'll process it and get back to me sometime within the next few weeks. Apparently they close on the 23rd this month for easter, so might take a while longer. There will also be another open day in May, that you'll get invited to to see if the course is for you.
There were no topical discussions, though I was asked what my key interests are, which personally I found easy to answer. Again, I think while they don't want you to be closed-minded to everything but one topic, they also want to know whether you know where you're going with this.
I would say the interview went well, but it's really hard to tell. He was very nice, but didn't give away much.

Hope this helps and hope your interviews go well! :-)
Reply 12
Hi everyone!

I just had my interview. The questions are really helpful and designed for them to gauge whether you really understand what the course and your chosen option is about. He also gave me an idea of what the year will be like, including topics covered in the option term, so I don't walk into it thinking this degree is something it's not. It might make sense to look through old notes for keywords of what you have done in your modules, as the same module title can vary in content between unis.
The interview was less than 30 minutes long. At the end he talked me through what happens next. He will send his recommendation ( he is not allowed to tell me whether it's a yes or a no) to the registry and they'll process it and get back to me sometime within the next few weeks. Apparently they close on the 23rd this month for easter, so might take a while longer. There will also be another open day in May, that you'll get invited to to see if the course is for you.
There were no topical discussions, though I was asked what my key interests are, which personally I found easy to answer. Again, I think while they don't want you to be closed-minded to everything but one topic, they also want to know whether you know where you're going with this.
I would say the interview went well, but it's really hard to tell. He was very nice, but didn't give away much.

Thank you so much for letting us know , I really appreciate it!
I hope you get accepted!

I don't understand what you mean with this sentence "It might make sense to look through old notes for keywords of what you have done in your modules, as the same module title can vary in content between unis."
Reply 13
Thank you so much for letting us know , I really appreciate it!
I hope you get accepted!

I don't understand what you mean with this sentence "It might make sense to look through old notes for keywords of what you have done in your modules, as the same module title can vary in content between unis."

You're welcome. :-)
What I mean is, that they might ask which textbook you've used or what elements of a subject you have covered if you didn't do your degree in it. For instance, becaude I study in Scotland, I have to take extra modules, so I did econ for two years apart from my actual degree. Becsuse I applied to the econ option for this course, I was asked to indicate what I did during the two years, so I gave him about ten keywords. That's all. Might not be relevant to you at all, unless you took side-subjects they're interested in.
Reply 14
You're welcome. :-)
What I mean is, that they might ask which textbook you've used or what elements of a subject you have covered if you didn't do your degree in it. For instance, becaude I study in Scotland, I have to take extra modules, so I did econ for two years apart from my actual degree. Becsuse I applied to the econ option for this course, I was asked to indicate what I did during the two years, so I gave him about ten keywords. That's all. Might not be relevant to you at all, unless you took side-subjects they're interested in.

Thank you so much for your help!
Oh right, I am applying from Canada so who knows what types of questions they will ask regarding my degree.

Really hoping I get an interview soon though- I need to accept my second choice school by April 7th:frown:
Hi everyone!

Thanks Scot_kit for your sharing.

Did you interview for your first choice of option in your application? And did they ask you about the second and third one? And is the interviewer the convenor of that option?

I am just wondering whether the interview will be different depending on the option we choose. I actually didn't have much academic knowledge of this field but more practical experiences, and now I want to gain an official education, so not sure whether I get my chance here.
Reply 16
Thank you so much for your help!
Oh right, I am applying from Canada so who knows what types of questions they will ask regarding my degree.

Really hoping I get an interview soon though- I need to accept my second choice school by April 7th:frown:

That's really getting tight. :0
Good luck!
Reply 17
Thanks Scot_kit for your sharing.

Did you interview for your first choice of option in your application? And did they ask you about the second and third one? And is the interviewer the convenor of that option?

I am just wondering whether the interview will be different depending on the option we choose. I actually didn't have much academic knowledge of this field but more practical experiences, and now I want to gain an official education, so not sure whether I get my chance here.

You're welcome :smile:

I was interviewed for my first choice and they didn't ask about the other choices and yes, he was one of the two convenors of the course.

The Interviewer will definitely be different. Obviously I can't speak for them, but my impression of the course is, that as long as you have an undergraduate degree, any experience is beneficial. And the course is so broad, a lot of degrees seem suitable.
Good luck!
Reply 18
I got an offer today!
Wishing you all good luck and hopefully see you in October! :-)
Reply 19
I got an offer today!
Wishing you all good luck and hopefully see you in October! :-)

This is exciting , Congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending