The Student Room Group

Don't like my NQ role

I'm really in need of some advice/support.

I recently qualified at a firm in Leeds. It was a horrible place to work so I had interviews (I probably left this too late). I had 3/4 interviews which were in different areas (I was so desperate to leave).

I had a couple of rejections before I got an offer which I accepted. I had other interviews in the pipeline but I was conscious of my qualification date and didn't want a gap on my CV.

The job I accepted is in Manchester so I have just moved into a flat.

I've been here a few weeks. I'm really lonely here as I know no one. I miss my parents who I'm very close to.

I also don't enjoy the work although it is a friendly place to work and a great firm. I can't imagine doing this forever. I'd like to go into a more contentious role and I'm worried this will become harder the longer I stay.

Any thoughts most appreciated.
Reply 1
Hi.

I don't suppose you trained at Walker Morris by any chance? Did you have the interviews with different departments in your training firm or with different firms altogether?

Also, did you do a seat in the area which you've got your NQ role in?

I'm a second year trainee in Manchester (due to qualify in Sept). You may want to think about joining the Junior Manchester Lawyers Society. They have a large member base of Manchester trainees and NQs and they hold a lot of social events during the week, e.g. in and around Spinningfields during weekdays.
Its importnat you do a job you enjoy. If its not the right area, then start looking asap and bite the bullet.

You can also tough it out. Its always hard starting a new job without support systems.
No, it was smaller than Walker Morris.

Had interviews with different firms. I quote enjoyed the work there but it had a horrible atmosphere.

I did complete a seat in the same general area as my NQ role but it's a bit different to what I was expecting (again my fault for not doing the research).

I really wanted to do something contentious but there was nothing aroy at the time. There are a few roles available in Leeds.

Not sure whether to stick it out or find somewhere else.

Thanks, I'll have to go to one of the Junior Lawyer events.
Original post by 999tigger
Its importnat you do a job you enjoy. If its not the right area, then start looking asap and bite the bullet.

You can also tough it out. Its always hard starting a new job without support systems.

Thanks, I really don't want to be trapped doing this.

I worry that if I stay much longer no one else would take me on in another area.
Reply 5
I'm currently in a similar boat to one you were in approx. 8 months ago.

I am due to qualify in September and will most likely leave my firm upon qualification. Did you use recruitment consultants when looking for NQ roles or did you find the roles advertised online and then applied to them direct?
Original post by Jasy
I'm currently in a similar boat to one you were in approx. 8 months ago.

I am due to qualify in September and will most likely leave my firm upon qualification. Did you use recruitment consultants when looking for NQ roles or did you find the roles advertised online and then applied to them direct?

I used Michael Page who were great. Unfortunately, there simply was nothing contentious around.

Sometimes I just think about quitting law altogether :smile:
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Thanks, I really don't want to be trapped doing this.

I worry that if I stay much longer no one else would take me on in another area.

Its not uncommon for people to make a mistake or take a role because its the only one available. the longer you leave it, then the longer you are swimming in the wrong direction. Its a balance thing. If you really are missing your family rather than it just being the same feeling when you go somewhere new then that becomes somehing important to you. It's only a few weeks though. You know you. You have had two years to figure out whether you like contentious or non contentious though.

Have a think on it, but you might also have to move for a contentious job, so be sure to know where your priorities are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Theres nothing to stop him looking now. If he leaves it 2 years in a non contentious role when in fact he wants to do contentious, then hes making it a lot more difficult for himself.

Whats wrong with telling the truth in that he tried another job, nut it didnt turn out as expected and he now knows what eh really wnats to do. the firms were willing to interview him before so a few weeks/ months isnt going to make much difference.
Original post by 999tigger
Its not uncommon for people to make a mistake or take a role because its the only one available. the longer you leave it, then the longer you are swimming in the wrong direction. Its a balance thing. If you really are missing your family rather than it just being the same feeling when you go somewhere new then that becomes somehing important to you. It's only a few weeks though. You know you. You have had two years to figure out whether you like contentious or non contentious though.

Have a think on it, but you might also have to move for a contentious job, so be sure to know where your priorities are.

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it.
Maybe contact someone in the YSG to bouncie ideas off. You are intelligent and able to weigh things up, so write down the pros and cons for each. You know yourself, what makes you happy so its not too hard to figure out. At some stage you can get swept along and end up in an area you dont like (2 weeks isnt long enough and you must have picked it for a reason) or you cna bite the bullet and leave when you ahve another job. your current employer isnt going to wnat you to stay if your heart isnt in it. Just be honest with yourself. Do you really hate it and cant see yourself doing it for the enxt x years or are you just not giving it a chance?
Original post by J-SP
I agree with you, but just wanted to highlight the risks.

The issue is often getting the opportunity to explain that though. Most candidates won't get past an initial CV/application review and at that point many will make assumptions (as I said wrongly) about the reasons for why this situation came about.

Thanks for your honesty. I don't feel much regret because I didn't have much of a choice but it makes me depressed thinking about being trapped doing this.
The thing is at your age you become terrified of taking risks, but contentious and non contentious pull in the opposite direction. theres no reason you cnat apply for a new job from your current position, but if you wnat to go contentious then when you restart you cna wave away all your non contentious experience really as you start at NQ again. If you left it 2 years say doing property work, then it would be 2+ years ago since you last did any contentious. Think about it, you and what you wnat then don be afarid of trying to see how far you cna get doing what you want rather than what you drifted ino and was safe. I dont think its a risk looking for other jobs, just be clear as to why you wnat to switch.

What opportunities are available depends what cycle in the market it is and a bit of luck just as much as where you trained.
Hang in there. It will get better. You are homesick and in a new job. Promise you. In the meantime make in roads. Just do one thing a week you like to meet some souls. Keep active and be nice to yourself, you will be surprised at how things change I think 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending