The Student Room Group

Group Trends

I need help with this essay and am not sure where to start. It's one of those situations where as soon as I'm pointed in the right direction I'm sure I'll be fine.
Can anyone help?

"Astatine is the least reactive element in in group 7 and sits at the bottom of the table. Francium is the most reactive in its group but it also sits at the bottom. Explain.
Your response must include principles of oxidation, reduction, electronegativity and aspects of atomic structure."
Take a look at the periodic table. From there you will note that Fr is in Group I (alkali metals), and At is part of Group 17 (halogens).

You should be able to make some guesses as to the state of valence shells of Group I and Group 17 (how many electrons per shell? what's the atomic diameter? does the diameter increase or decrease with the number of valence shells?) and how that has an influence on the electronegativity of the atom. Here's a hint: which type of ions are preferentially formed by elements in Group I and Group 17?
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
I need help with this essay and am not sure where to start. It's one of those situations where as soon as I'm pointed in the right direction I'm sure I'll be fine.
Can anyone help?

"Astatine is the least reactive element in in group 7 and sits at the bottom of the table. Francium is the most reactive in its group but it also sits at the bottom. Explain.
Your response must include principles of oxidation, reduction, electronegativity and aspects of atomic structure."

I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. I guessing most of us use whatsapp so I guess it will be more suitable for everyone then. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest