The Student Room Group

Have you ever met any university students who have helicopter parents?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkred
Wow that's crazy. Is she still as paranoid? What do you even talk about on the phone...

My parents phone once every few weeks. I could actually die and they wouldn't know for a while at least. Heh.

I wouldn't say she is paranoid, she just gets extremely worried. Uni was the first time I went away from home! She's still getting used to it even though I'm in my second year now. I completely understand where she is coming from though but sometimes it's a bit OTT. We usually end up having full blown conversations over the phone. She always wants to know how my day has been and what I did and what I learnt etc. She is genuinely fascinated at what I do. :biggrin:

Wow! Now that's crazy! Once a week! My mum could never do that. :tongue:
Original post by gutenberg
I had a friend who lived in halls on-campus at a city centre university. His mum used to walk through the uni every morning on her way to work (there's a train station at the back of th uni, and lots of people use it as a walk-through to get places), and she would come and knock on her son's door every morning to make sure he was up, make him a cup of tea, and then go on her way! :eek: I don't think she really got involved in other ways, but still...! This is 100% true btw, the mother told me herself!

Lol, what a nightmare. :teehee:

My mum teaches at the university I attended, but she managed to restrain herself from intervening too much. She did however regularly ask one of my tutors "how I was getting on" which was a bit toe curling. :blush:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lol, what a nightmare. :teehee:

My mum teaches at the university I attended, but she managed to restrain herself from intervening too much. She did however regularly ask one of my tutors "how I was getting on" which was a bit toe curling. :blush:

Did you have to go to her lectures? :eek3:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Did you have to go to her lectures? :eek3:

No, different subject areas. I came close a couple of times, but skilfully dodged. :giggle:

Actually there were a few people I knew at college who had one or more parents doing something at the university, I guess it's just one of those things at big universities that happens.
Thankfully, not.

I moved 3 hours away for uni. My parents called me every other weekend, which was enough. (when my phone worked :rolleyes: ) They then got Facebook because apparently, I didn't switch my phone on all the time. Pardon me for living somewhere with **** signal!

I'm now back in Plymouth where they live. I'm about 2 miles from them. I see them almost every weekend. They call me if they need to talk to me / they want something and I call them if I need their help / I want something. Dad did have this wonderful habit of dropping his car at the garage and deciding he'd turn up here to annoy me. :tongue: He'd do it around lunch time; so I'd have to feed him as well.
No actually!

I personally went well away from home to get away from them, and speak to them occasionally, usually via text when I need something!

I was happily surprised that people I know don't, and that actually, more than I thought don't have as good a relationship with their family than I was expecting - when I say 'happily' surprised, obviously them not having a good relationship with them is bad :facepalm:, but it's nice to see for me, that it's not all happy clappy for everyone else...

I'm just ****ing doom and gloom today!
Reply 26
Is it just me, or is only getting in contact with yours parents once every couple of weeks or more a bit weird? (unless you have a bad relationship with them ofc)
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
I wouldn't say she is paranoid, she just gets extremely worried. Uni was the first time I went away from home! She's still getting used to it even though I'm in my second year now. I completely understand where she is coming from though but sometimes it's a bit OTT. We usually end up having full blown conversations over the phone. She always wants to know how my day has been and what I did and what I learnt etc. She is genuinely fascinated at what I do. :biggrin:

Wow! Now that's crazy! Once a week! My mum could never do that. :tongue:

I'm in first year but my mum's the same! She texts me EVERY SINGLE DAY asking how I've been and have I eaten and to say goodnight.
Original post by RobML
Is it just me, or is only getting in contact with yours parents once every couple of weeks or more a bit weird? (unless you have a bad relationship with them ofc)

Nah that's what I'm planning to do in September
Reply 29
Original post by Metrododo
Nah that's what I'm planning to do in September

Like, do you not care about knowing how they are and that?
Original post by RobML
Like, do you not care about knowing how they are and that?

I do but I don't actually see the point of getting updates on a daily basis, unless something significant happened. Plus I reckon life will be pretty busy in halls plus uni work. But clearly from the variety of answers given in this thread, to each their own :smile:
Original post by Metrododo
I do but I don't actually see the point of getting updates on a daily basis, unless something significant happened. Plus I reckon life will be pretty busy in halls plus uni work. But clearly from the variety of answers given in this thread, to each their own :smile:

This s why we only called every 2 weeks. Plus, there was Facebook and text if we needed to talk more often.
Wow, reading some of these puts my parents actions into context. I'll get a text or email from one or both of my parents every week or so to ask how I am and I find that a little too helicopter-like. I'm nearly 24 and have spent most of my adult life living independently - I don't feel as though I need checking up on so often!
Reply 33
Original post by RobML

I cannot recall a single occurrence of my parents ringing me whilst I was at university unless it was the day before end of year to arrange a pick-up time. This only happened twice anyway as by the end of 3rd year they'd already moved abroad and I was left to my own devices.
Reply 34
Original post by Reue
I cannot recall a single occurrence of my parents ringing me whilst I was at university unless it was the day before end of year to arrange a pick-up time. This only happened twice anyway as by the end of 3rd year they'd already moved abroad and I was left to my own devices.

I ring my parents just as much as they ring me :dontknow:
Reply 35
Original post by RobML
I ring my parents just as much as they ring me :dontknow:

Oh I ring mine just as much as they ring me also...
Reply 36
Original post by Reue
Oh I ring mine just as much as they ring me also...

Maybe it's because there's been a lot deaths in the family that I don't take any of them for granted. I didn't come to uni to "escape" from my parents like some overgrown rebellious teen, either. Seems a little immature to suddenly minimise contact upon moving away.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by RobML
Maybe it's because I've a lot deaths in the family that I don't take any of them for granted. I didn't come to uni to "escape" from my parents like some overgrown rebellious teen, either. Seems a little immature to suddenly minimise contact upon moving away.

Good for you :smile:
Original post by darkred
Wow that's crazy. Is she still as paranoid? What do you even talk about on the phone...

My parents phone once every few weeks. I could actually die and they wouldn't know for a while at least. Heh.

It's ok Jonny. They know I'm here for you, that's why

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending