The Student Room Group

UFC 196 - McGregor vs Diaz - who are you picking

Scroll to see replies

lol @ dana

that is all
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 81
@ByronicHero @Greg Jackson

So what did you guys make of UFC 196? Even though I picked Connor I started the fight thinking Diaz was going to win, and wasn't at all surprised when he did. I thought it was a great fight and I have huge respect for McGregor to move up 2 weight categories like that. I am really angered by the social media backlash against McGregor.

Tate vs Holm was a cracker. I'm pleased Tate won, in my opinion it was a well deserved victory.

Since UFC 196 I have found myself in lots of frustrating conversations with total UFC noobs trying to tell me that McGregor is a far superior martial artist than 'the other guy' and just lost because he was tired. I am a huge fan of McGregor, but as a martial artist they don't come much purer than the Diaz brothers in my opinion.
Reply 82
Also what does everyone think about Diaz getting a title shot at 170? seems pretty wacky to me, but will hit massive numbers and I'll be pumped to see it!
Original post by kalclash

So what did you guys make of UFC 196? Even though I picked Connor I started the fight thinking Diaz was going to win, and wasn't at all surprised when he did. I thought it was a great fight and I have huge respect for McGregor to move up 2 weight categories like that. I am really angered by the social media backlash against McGregor.

Tate vs Holm was a cracker. I'm pleased Tate won, in my opinion it was a well deserved victory.

Since UFC 196 I have found myself in lots of frustrating conversations with total UFC noobs trying to tell me that McGregor is a far superior martial artist than 'the other guy' and just lost because he was tired. I am a huge fan of McGregor, but as a martial artist they don't come much purer than the Diaz brothers in my opinion.

I also, when talking over the fights with my friend, changed my prediction somewhat. My friend thought Conor would smash him and as I was listing all of the reasons that was nonsense I realised that I thought Nate could hang on the feet but Conor probably couldn't hand on the ground. I think I probably still expected Conor to just about do it as I thought he would be better at closing the distance than he was but was entirely unsurprised with how easily Diaz finished it on the ground.

The Tate Vs Holm fight went exactly as I thought it would minus the finish. Very close fight (which I had 3 - 1 Holm going into the 5th) and I couldn't be happier for Tate. I actually let out a bit of a shout when she sank it in. My friend was treated to "she's sunk it in!" and then "yes!!!" at 5am :lol:

Casual fans don't know about the Diaz brothers. Nobody does what they do better than they do it. They are polarising figures though, and people find it easy to dislike them as much as others find it easy to love them. I think they are fantastic so, while Conor is one of my favourite modern fighters, I won't pretend I didn't enjoy the hype train being derailed slightly by a Diaz.

I think Nate should get a title shot here. It will be an entertaining fight and I think he earned it by taking the fight on short notice and slaying the giant. I don't think he wins it but I think it would pull big numbers.

I think Conor probably fights Edgar and probably wins before moving up and having to beat a top 5 guy before getting a title shot.

It is hard to predict what Shelby will have in mind though to be honest.
loooool did this thread really contain a debate over whether long limbs help with BJJ?
Reply 85
Original post by ByronicHero
I also, when talking over the fights with my friend, changed my prediction somewhat. My friend thought Conor would smash him and as I was listing all of the reasons that was nonsense I realised that I thought Nate could hang on the feet but Conor probably couldn't hand on the ground. I think I probably still expected Conor to just about do it as I thought he would be better at closing the distance than he was but was entirely unsurprised with how easily Diaz finished it on the ground.

The Tate Vs Holm fight went exactly as I thought it would minus the finish. Very close fight (which I had 3 - 1 Holm going into the 5th) and I couldn't be happier for Tate. I actually let out a bit of a shout when she sank it in. My friend was treated to "she's sunk it in!" and then "yes!!!" at 5am :lol:

Casual fans don't know about the Diaz brothers. Nobody does what they do better than they do it. They are polarising figures though, and people find it easy to dislike them as much as others find it easy to love them. I think they are fantastic so, while Conor is one of my favourite modern fighters, I won't pretend I didn't enjoy the hype train being derailed slightly by a Diaz.

I think Nate should get a title shot here. It will be an entertaining fight and I think he earned it by taking the fight on short notice and slaying the giant. I don't think he wins it but I think it would pull big numbers.

I think Conor probably fights Edgar and probably wins before moving up and having to beat a top 5 guy before getting a title shot.

It is hard to predict what Shelby will have in mind though to be honest.

I think at this point it makes the most sense to have Lawler vs Nate at UFC 200. The problem is that the UFC would struggle to market UFC 200 with Connor vs XXX on the same card as Nate I think. It would look strange to have Conor headlining, with Nate co-headlining the card after what happened at 196. But surely the UFC wants to use both of these guys to draw big numbers for UFC 200.

I would love to see Lawler v Nate headline UFC 200. That fight would be an out and out brawl, everyone knows it, and while Nate probably doesn't win, he at least stands a chance!
Nate basically screwed up the UFC's big plans for 200, what they should do is:

Lawler vs GSP
Conor vs Frankie
Nate vs RDA

hnnggggg
Reply 87
Original post by Greg Jackson
Nate basically screwed up the UFC's big plans for 200, what they should do is:

Lawler vs GSP
Conor vs Frankie
Nate vs RDA

hnnggggg

Yeah man, totally agree with that! However Dana has already mentioned Nate is getting the fight vs Lawler. I'd prefer to see the card as you've laid out, but barring a GSP come back I'd rather see Nate fight Lawler.

In my opinion I can't see GSP coming back for an immediate title shot. Maybe he would, but I reckon he'd want a big money super fight.
Reply 88
Nate Diaz is rubbish he does not deserve a title shot
Reply 89
Original post by al_94
Nate Diaz is rubbish he does not deserve a title shot

I've got to disagree dude. I think a case can be made against him for having a welterweight shot. But he's not rubbish. When he's motivated he's one of the best in the world. Look how he dismantled Cowboy.

He is undeniably world class.
Reply 90
I've got to disagree dude. I think a case can be made against him for having a welterweight shot. But he's not rubbish. When he's motivated he's one of the best in the world. Look how he dismantled Cowboy.

He is undeniably world class.

Conor would have smashed him but he had a bad gameplan. You can't get a title shot for winning 2 fights. He has to prove himself more to deserve that.
All of you guys in this thread are very ignorant.
UFC is a fixed-match business, purely for entertainment. Connor McGregor has made all his money from his previous notable fight and even this one despite losing.
Reply 92
Original post by al_94
Conor would have smashed him but he had a bad gameplan. You can't get a title shot for winning 2 fights. He has to prove himself more to deserve that.

Fighters have received title shots off the back of losses before dude - Nick Diaz for example.

I understand the need to justify the loss of your favorite fighter, but you can't discount Nate's victory based on a poor gameplan. It's a fight. If you come in and exert all your energy in the first 3 - 5 minutes, you lose the fight - simple as that.

I highly doubt his gameplan was to use all his energy in the first round. It wasn't his day. Nate was superior and deserves a title shot and deserves another payday.
Reply 93
Original post by GeologyMaths
All of you guys in this thread are very ignorant.
UFC is a fixed-match business, purely for entertainment. Connor McGregor has made all his money from his previous notable fight and even this one despite losing.

What? This makes no sense. If it was fixed then McGregor, the UFC's biggest star wouldn't have lost in the run up to their anticipated biggest event ever.

Secondly they lost the Rousey v Holm rematch too. So why oh why would UFC fix the fights in that way? Leaving them financially worse off.

Please enlighten me.
Reply 94
Fighters have received title shots off the back of losses before dude - Nick Diaz for example.

I understand the need to justify the loss of your favorite fighter, but you can't discount Nate's victory based on a poor gameplan. It's a fight. If you come in and exert all your energy in the first 3 - 5 minutes, you lose the fight - simple as that.

I highly doubt his gameplan was to use all his energy in the first round. It wasn't his day. Nate was superior and deserves a title shot and deserves another payday.

Yeah because UFC is like WWE based on popularity not actually fighting ability. He can't fight for LW title that will be winner of Khabib vs Ferguson. He does not deserve WW title either just because he beat Conor.
Reply 95
Got to respect McGregor's grace in defeat, really.

"I stormed in and put it all on the line. I took a shot and missed.
I will never apologize for taking a shot.
**** happens.
I'll take this loss like a man. I will not shy away from it. I will not change who I am. If another champion goes up 2 weights let me know."
Reply 96
Original post by Mackay
Got to respect McGregor's grace in defeat, really.

"I stormed in and put it all on the line. I took a shot and missed.
I will never apologize for taking a shot.
**** happens.
I'll take this loss like a man. I will not shy away from it. I will not change who I am. If another champion goes up 2 weights let me know."

Yeah man, he stepped up, took a risk, lost and took the defeat like a man. Anyone disrespecting him in defeat is a coward.
Reply 97

So glad Holm lost, to be honest. Better for the sport. Too much 'band-wagoning' after Rousey defeat.
Original post by Assan
So glad Holm lost, to be honest. Better for the sport. Too much 'band-wagoning' after Rousey defeat.

Definitely. Although I must admit I also enjoy Tate's personality far more than Holm's. But she was sooooo patient in that fight. Really liked her game-play and her take-down execution was generally pretty great tbh not to Mention her fitness. Both of them fought really damn well.

That match of Tate's vs Holms and Tate's second fight against Rousey have to be in the top 5 female bantamweight fights ever. Just so good...
Reply 99
Original post by TorpidPhil

That match of Tate's vs Holms and Tate's second fight against Rousey have to be in the top 5 female bantamweight fights ever. Just so good...

Haha no way! I found Tate vs Holm kind of boring actually. Besides Rousey fights, I have to say I like JJ and Miriam Nakamoto (Muay Thai not MMA). In fact, quite a few of the pure MT women are really great to watch

Quick Reply

Latest