The Student Room Group

Does rape culture exist? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
The term says that it normalises male sexual violence which is pretty clear that this has not occurred in the modern West.

Are you calling me a younger poster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one is saying that our culture is fine with sexual violence or embraces it.

The modern west is made up of many groups.

I'm not sure you are reading my posts.

No, if I want to call you something I will do it directly.
Original post by leavingthecity
No one is saying that our culture is fine with sexual violence or embraces it.

The modern west is made up of many groups.

I'm not sure you are reading my posts.

No, if I want to call you something I will do it directly.

You said a rape culture exists in the West using the 70s definition. And by the definition set out you are implying that sexual violence is normalised.

Society as a whole does not accept rape or victim blaming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by joecphillips
Except for women it is the first it is accepted and they get much shorter sentences for more serious crimes and people just say the victim should be happy a woman is sleeping with them.

Doh, I post so many comments and threads asking for advice on student-related issues and only get replies when it's something mundane and pointless like this.
You said a rape culture exists in the West using the 70s definition. And by the definition set out you are implying that sexual violence is normalised.

Society as a whole does not accept rape or victim blaming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, go back and re read the posts. On re reading them you will see that I agree with you and that also;

There is rape culture as existed in the 70's that carried a particular definition and there are elements of this that exist today in some sections of western society to the degree that it is still an issue that needs work.
Reply 44
Original post by abc:)
Doh, I post so many comments and threads asking for advice on student-related issues and only get replies when it's something mundane and pointless like this.

What on earth are you on about?
Rape culture seems such a loaded term. So I won't use it. But....

There is a very strong tendency to play down how commonplace rape and sexual assault is the UK, partly resulting from our keep calm and carry on attitude. The majority of rapes go unreported, with figures of around 10-15% normally given. Male victims are probably even less likely report them. Shame, self-blame, feeling that the victim won't be taken seriously are common reasons for not reporting. I'm aware of case where a policewoman told a rape victim to put the rape down to "experience", she was too shook up to disagree. I guess it keeps the paperwork and crime statistics down. Although that was 10 years ago and the police do seem to take accusations more seriously now.

Recent research suggests up to 450,000 cases of child sex abuse over a two year period, implying around 85% of child abuse is unreported. That sexual abuse crimes by foreigners can elicit such a strong response but 450,000 kids being abused behind closed doors hardly musters a whimper gives an indication as to where our priorities lie.

We also have very lenient punishments. In the worse cases, rapists are let off with a mere police caution.
Reply 46
Original post by abc:)

You posted on the section named debate and current affairs you should expect replies
Original post by Foo.mp3
Of course it does. What do you think LAD culture is? What do you think "she was asking for it", "no means yes" etc amount to? Dear God.. :rolleyes:

Thank you

I was loosing the will with this thread

Good grief
No, go back and re read the posts. On re reading them you will see that I agree with you and that also;

There is rape culture as existed in the 70's that carried a particular definition and there are elements of this that exist today in some sections of western society to the degree that it is still an issue that needs work.

I did you read them, twice. You can't say there is a rape culture if only one element exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did you read them, twice. You can't say there is a rape culture if only one element exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A culture comparable in some ways to that which existed and was defined in the 1970's exists today.

It is not as black and white as you are trying to make it. I don't know what your objectives are with that argument...
Rape culture is someone saying 'wearing a short skirt is like leaving your front door open'.
Rape culture is survivors being asked in court about what they were wearing when they were raped.
Rape culture is women being told if you wear revealing clothing/get drunk/make-out with someone/walk home alone at night they were 'asking for it'.
Rape culture is university men's sports teams on nights out chanting 'No means yes. Yes means anal.'.
Rape culture is when young men with 'promising futures' ahead of them are convicted of rape and people say they survivor going to the police has 'ruined' the men's lives.
Rape culture is when people say that if someone accuses a rich man of rape then they must be lying for attention or money.
Rape culture is saying that it must be consensual if the people are in a relationship/have had sex before/went home together even though none of these things constitute consent.
Rape culture is saying men 'can't control themselves' around women who are drunk/alone/wearing revealing clothing.
Rape culture is jokes about spiking people's drinks.
Reply 51
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Rape culture is someone saying 'wearing a short skirt is like leaving your front door open'.
Rape culture is survivors being asked in court about what they were wearing when they were raped.
Rape culture is women being told if you wear revealing clothing/get drunk/make-out with someone/walk home alone at night they were 'asking for it'.
Rape culture is university men's sports teams on nights out chanting 'No means yes. Yes means anal.'.
Rape culture is when young men with 'promising futures' ahead of them are convicted of rape and people say they survivor going to the police has 'ruined' the men's lives.
Rape culture is when people say that if someone accuses a rich man of rape then they must be lying for attention or money.
Rape culture is saying that it must be consensual if the people are in a relationship/have had sex before/went home together even though none of these things constitute consent.
Rape culture is saying men 'can't control themselves' around women who are drunk/alone/wearing revealing clothing.
Rape culture is jokes about spiking people's drinks.

I didn't ask for propaganda
I am a male. I voted "Yes".
Reply 53
Original post by Lemon Haze
I am a male. I voted "Yes".

Why?
A culture comparable in some ways to that which existed and was defined in the 1970's exists today.

It is not as black and white as you are trying to make it. I don't know what your objectives are with that argument...

My objective is to cure the boredom of work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course it exists... In the Middle East.
(edited 8 years ago)
My objective is to cure the boredom of work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha fair enough, fair enough.
In third world countries, yes there is. In first world Western countries there isn't.
Reply 58
Original post by TheOpinion
I didn't ask for propaganda

You did say to discuss...
Reply 59
Original post by joecphillips
You posted on the section named debate and current affairs you should expect replies

Original post by TheOpinion
What on earth are you on about?

I'm happy to get replies and to post in this section and that students debate current affairs, it's all good!! I just meant I'm waiting on replies for actual advice I need from other sections, so it was just funny when I saw a notification and thought 'yes finally!' only to find it was from this. And funny that in debate and current affairs it takes only a matter of minutes for someone to reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending