The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by Student403
I'm not :rofl: A crazy is someone who is very disappointed with 74/75 in FP3 :teehee:

You're a mech crazy. :teehee:
Original post by Zacken
You're a mech crazy. :teehee:

Psh I don't qualify for that with my M1 mark >.<
Reply 1102

What'd you get in M1? If you say anything above 95 I will glare at you. :colonhash:
Libraries aren't so commonplace here :frown:

I wish they were - I'd be much more productive. I remember when I went to Cambridge for my interview I couldn't stay out of the Clare library and I managed to complete a full M3 chapter between interviews :biggrin:

is it so even in qatar ?

i understand this completely I used to travel 45 min in India to a library (bus autoricksaw etc) but in japan its a 5 min cycle.

do u tend to be more productive at libraries ?
Original post by Zacken
What'd you get in M1? If you say anything above 95 I will glare at you. :colonhash:

I almost missed my M1 exam lol (shows my dedication, huh?) - 88 :rofl:
Original post by Duke Glacia
is it so even in qatar ?

i understand this completely I used to travel 45 min in India to a library (bus autoricksaw etc) but in japan its a 5 min cycle.

do u tend to be more productive at libraries ?

Yes!

Wow very nice in Japan!

Well I'd say so :biggrin:
Reply 1106
I almost missed my M1 exam lol (shows my dedication, huh?) - 88 :rofl:

Ah, fair enough. Then again... I got 91 in FP1, so you'll have to pick between calling me a crazy and you a crazy regardless of module UMS or neither of us being crazies. :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, fair enough. Then again... I got 91 in FP1, so you'll have to pick between calling me a crazy and you a crazy regardless of module UMS or neither of us being crazies. :wink:

But... :angry:

Spoiler

Reply 1108
But... :angry:

How you feeling for your mocks, by the way? They're coming up soon. :sexface:
Yes!

Wow very nice in Japan!

Well I'd say so :biggrin:

where do u tend to study normally ?
Original post by Zacken
How you feeling for your mocks, by the way? They're coming up soon. :sexface:

Tbh I never really took mocks more seriously than any other past papers I do.

If the school plans to cram each one in to the space of a week such that I have 8 exams in 5 days and will have little time for in-between revision (which happens to be the best revision for me during real exams), I can't really use these as an assessment of my real capability. :/ Kind of unfortunate that a good number of past papers will go to waste as a result. But such is life - I'll revise for what I feel needs a decent bit of work (basically the FPs lol)
Original post by Duke Glacia
where do u tend to study normally ?

I sit on my arse for ~12 hours a day lol. Either in school or at home on my desk with everything at it. I don't actually "study" a lot - I revise when things are coming up but I don't usually consolidate. Homework tends to be enough
I sit on my arse for ~12 hours a day lol. Either in school or at home on my desk with everything at it. I don't actually "study" a lot - I revise when things are coming up but I don't usually consolidate. Homework tends to be enough

I've been playing truant from school since January. I can't study in school tbh, we're not allowed to access the internet and my school is like 1.5 hours from where I live. It's just not worth going every day.

I used to think I was okay in mechanics too, but my M1 and M2 UMS surely doesn't show it :rofl:

Original post by Zacken
I should probably learnt that method at some point. Did you use it as well or did you do my thing with "Let X\mathbf{X} be a vector lying on blah such that it is perpendicular to blah blah, dot product, find λ\lambda and do magnitudes"?

Yep, I thought of forming a new plane and finding the distance but it was too much of a hassle to do it. I just decided to draw a decent diagram to see what I could do with it and saw an opportunity to make it simple with C4 vectors. I like how flexible some vector questions are with the method you can use.

I knooow, one slip with your cubic shiz in eigenvalues and you're dead. By the way, do you just write down the determinant of MλI\mathbf{M} - \lambda\mathbf{I} directly or do you write out the matrix MλI\mathbf{M} - \lambda\mathbf{I} first?

I definitely agree re: the vector question. I had to re-do that question once or twice, the first time was without a diagram and I got muddled up with R, N, P, etc... but upon drawing the diagram, it all clicked and I ran through it smoothly.

I write out the matrix first usually - could qualify as a method mark if my other steps are wrong. :tongue:

I'm not quite brave enough to attempt any big vector question without a diagram. :colondollar: But do you usually draw one for loci questions?
Reply 1113
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

I write out the matrix first usually - could qualify as a method mark if my other steps are wrong. :tongue:

Good point... I rush through these papers too fast, to be honest.

I'm not quite brave enough to attempt any big vector question without a diagram. :colondollar: But do you usually draw one for loci questions?

How would you draw one for loci questions? :dontknow: That loci question in Q8 was just plugging in the values for x and y in terms of t and simplfying, then doing the same to the RHS and showing that they were both equal. These kinds of questions are purely algebraic and I don't see how diagrams help at all.
Libraries aren't so commonplace here :frown:

I wish they were - I'd be much more productive. I remember when I went to Cambridge for my interview I couldn't stay out of the Clare library and I managed to complete a full M3 chapter between interviews :biggrin:

The library there gives me nerdgasms, biggest Cambridge one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
The library there gives me nerdgasms, biggest Cambridge one right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's right next to the Cambridge University library :biggrin:
It's right next to the Cambridge University library :biggrin:

Used to visit my brother when he was there, lucky bastard had a 2 min walk to it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Used to visit my brother when he was there, lucky bastard had a 2 min walk to it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lovely place :yep:
Lovely place :yep:

Dunno why but my favourite part was the grass (I wish I was joking)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1119

By the way, I'm curious. Are you a Cambridge maths offer holder as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending