The Student Room Group

Black africa-american man chocked to death - his daughter speaks out

You must all remember the african american man, eric gardner, who was chocked to death by the american white policemen and who said 'i can't breathe':

[video="youtube;Syln8IkOIqc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syln8IkOIqc[/video]

Scroll to see replies

I just watched the Eric Garner video now for the first time. Wow... That is all I can really say
Reply 2
Original post by The Epicurean
I just watched the Eric Garner video now for the first time. Wow... That is all I can really say

Indeed. it was sickening. Spread the video if you can , and if you want to, to support his daughters message.
You said "black" African American
Is there any other way to be Af-Am?...
Chocked to death, can that even happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somesomebody
You said "black" African American
Is there any other way to be Af-Am?...

A white South African person who lives in America maybe? I've never really understood the term African American in and of itself to be honest.

Original post by Tawheed
Indeed. it was sickening. Spread the video if you can , and if you want to, to support his daughters message.

I don't really follow American politics so not in a position to support the whole Bernie Sanders campaign, but it is good to at least see someone wanting to challenge the issue. Sadly, I think many British people like myself are quite ignorant of the Eric Garner case.

Out of interest, what do you think is the best way forward to prevent more incidents like this from occurring?
A white South African person who lives in America maybe? I've never really understood the term African American in and of itself to be honest.

I don't really follow American politics so not in a position to support the whole Bernie Sanders campaign, but it is good to at least see someone wanting to challenge the issue. Sadly, I think many British people like myself are quite ignorant of the Eric Garner case.

Out of interest, what do you think is the best way forward to prevent more incidents like this from occurring?

In any place other than in South Africa a nonblack person will not refer to themselves as African lol
Original post by DiddyDec
Chocked to death, can that even happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Typo now provide something relevant and useful?
Reply 8
I remember that video. That cop killed that man he went too far
In any place other than in South Africa a nonblack person will not refer to themselves as African lol

North Africa? The Amazigh people of North Africa would surely consider themselves to be African? The other issue I have with the term African American is that not all black people come from Africa. Would a black person from Papua New Guinea (South East Asia) be referred to as African American? Not all black people are African and not all African people are black. So the term African American is rather a confusing term.
North Africa? The Amazigh people of North Africa would surely consider themselves to be African? The other issue I have with the term African American is that not all black people come from Africa. Would a black person from Papua New Guinea (South East Asia) be referred to as African American? Not all black people are African and not all African people are black. So the term African American is rather a confusing term.

I said what I said considering them. Let's not respond to each other randomly naming geographic points of Africa with "North? South?" lol what's next, East?

North Africans also do not consider themselves African lol they consider themselves their country ("I'm Moroccan, which yes, is in Africa, but I'm not black ok"), or by religion ("I'm Muslim" or "I'm Coptic Christian from Egypt" lol) or by ethnic group ("I'm Arab," "Berber,"), etc. They never just say, "African," because the racial connotation with being African normally makes people think, "black" and North Africans DO NOT want to be confused for that any chance!

Anyway yes I agree AfAm is a ridiculous term, it's political correctness, as I said in the thread:

"Americans that say I'm Irish" it's a good debate going on there :tongue:

Namibia, Angola and Madagascar. May want to look up North too (e.g. Egypt).

What about Zimbabwe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about Zimbabwe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You tell me, you mentioned it...
Original post by Aceadria
Namibia, Angola and Madagascar. May want to look up North too (e.g. Egypt).

I already discussed this in my latest response, please revert to it.

But if you're too lazy to scroll up two millimeters, I will repeat this once:
non-Sub-Saharan Africans do not want to be confused for such. So they will quite specifically mention their country over just basically saying, I'm African.

But it seems you just want to randomly name African countries like that proves a point lol

In social situations none of the countries you mentioned say they are "African." They don't want to be affiliated with the stereotypes.
You tell me, you mentioned it...

There are white Africans there

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are white Africans there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great...and?
@The Epicurean @DiddyDec @Aceadria

You people

may refer to non Sub Saharan black Africans

as African

but do they refer to themselves as such?
Is the operative question.

No, generally speaking, they do not refer to themselves as African, full stop. They always will differentiate by naming specifically what their country/ethnic group and religion is.
@The Epicurean @DiddyDec @Aceadria

You people

may refer to non Sub Saharan black Africans

as African

but do they refer to themselves as such?
Is the operative question.

No, generally speaking, they do not refer to themselves as African, full stop. They always will differentiate by naming specifically what their country/ethnic group and religion is.

Interesting how you know every 'white' African in the world to know that they do not refer to themselves as 'Africans'. Isn't that, dare I say it, quite racist?
Great...and?

It contradicts your statement about South Africa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest