The Student Room Group

Should I try and claim JSA?

I am 18 in a gap year and currently still in part time education through a private tutor and I have A level exams coming up in May and June.

I am trying to find part time work in the mean time and I am finding it impossible, most jobs are full time jobs which although I could technically do, spending 40 hours a week at work isn't really what I want to do because I am spending most of my free time on school work, I have 8 A level exams coming up.

I also have university applications and student finance etc to sort out, I already made my firm and insurance, so it is not like I am just doing exams for nothing.

Should I try and claim JSA during this time?

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing to stop you claiming. But you would be expected to look for work that is 40 hours per week.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
There's nothing to stop you claiming. But you would be expected to look for work that is 40 hours per week.

So should I just not bother applying? I know that if I don't take all available work that I will not be given any JSA but I believe that my A levels are a higher priority than full time work.
Yes you cna claim whilst a p/t student. Look at the bit re p/t students
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

Remember its a benefit for those seeking work and not a benefit to support those who are studying. So be careful what you say about priorities otherwise they will decide you arent actively seeking work and refuse you.
You can apply. But what 999tiger said is right. Job seeking is considered a priority over studying.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can apply. But what 999tiger said is right. Job seeking is considered a priority over studying.

Which is a tragedy because people in college or uni have a much greater need for it than most of the sludge currently claiming it. The irony is that going to college is in itself an activity to obtain work, albeit in the future. I would rather support students than skivers but the government knows whats best for us.
Original post by Laomedeia
Which is a tragedy because people in college or uni have a much greater need for it than most of the sludge currently claiming it. The irony is that going to college is in itself an activity to obtain work, albeit in the future. I would rather support students than skivers but the government knows whats best for us.

Thats remarkably ignorant of you. the clue is in the name its called job seekers allowance for a reason and not student support allowance. Its a ridiculous claim to say that students are more in need of it, when you dont know the circumstances of those claiming JSA.

You won't get it at uni. And besides, the clue is in the name.
Original post by 999tigger
Thats remarkably ignorant of you. the clue is in the name its called job seekers allowance for a reason and not student support allowance. Its a ridiculous claim to say that students are more in need of it, when you dont know the circumstances of those claiming JSA.

Piss off! Its very expensive to be a student. How can a student be expected to study full time and earn enough to pay for everything without getting into a massive debt. Its what put me off trying to make something of myself. Currently only the well off can afford to get a good education. JSA for students will encourage people into education, rather than perpetuating them into a life on benefits or minimum wage. Still you wont agree but I stand by my logic.
Piss off! Its very expensive to be a student. How can a student be expected to study full time and earn enough to pay for everything without getting into a massive debt. Its what put me off trying to make something of myself. Currently only the well off can afford to get a good education. JSA for students will encourage people into education, rather than perpetuating them into a life on benefits or minimum wage. Still you wont agree but I stand by my logic.

As has been pointed out its a benefit for job seekers not educational support.
Millions of students get access to cheap loans many of which will never be repaid and the rest being a good investment to gain access to the best jobs. Millions of students each year still think its a viable option even if you dont.

Your logic doesnt stand up. On the one hand you cna say students need more support, but its illogical to say that means funding should be withdrawn from people who are looking for jobs becayse they are less deserving. many of them will have paid their NI for their benefits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

There is lots of support available to students.
Original post by offhegoes
There is lots of support available to students.

Not in the form of £50-60 per week tho. If this is what is regarded as necessary for jobseekers, then why cant students get free money for day to day expenses. I may be wrong on this but loans dont give them the same level of support.

Im not saying regular job seekers dont deserve it, but that students could do with the help awsell. Some students may get lucky enough to find suitable part time work, but many dont AFAIK.
Because the government a long time ago decided that it cant afford to give maintenance grants any more or pay your fees, thus you have loans. If you think its a bad deal, then go and sign on rather than getting an education which will pay for itself handsomely in most cases.
Because the government a long time ago decided that it cant afford to give maintenance grants any more or pay your fees, thus you have loans. If you think its a bad deal, then go and sign on rather than getting an education which will pay for itself handsomely in most cases.

What do you mean instead of getting an education?

I'm not saying either I claim JSA or I go to uni, I meant during this year before I go to uni.
Not in the form of £50-60 per week tho. If this is what is regarded as necessary for jobseekers, then why cant students get free money for day to day expenses. I may be wrong on this but loans dont give them the same level of support.

Im not saying regular job seekers dont deserve it, but that students could do with the help awsell. Some students may get lucky enough to find suitable part time work, but many dont AFAIK.

It may be in the form of a (highly subsidised) loan but even the basic maintenance loan is more than total JSA for someone under 25 for a year. People under 21 also aren't eligible for housing benefit.
Original post by Dinasaurus
What do you mean instead of getting an education?

I'm not saying either I claim JSA or I go to uni, I meant during this year before I go to uni.

I was talking to laomedia. You are taking my statement out of context.

I've advised you to make a claim .

Well, at least you'd be guaranteed to know exactly what sort of stuff a full time student would potentially spend their JSA dole money on. There's no way of ascertaining what a non-studious JSA claimant is likely to spend this money on, however. A lot of them take the absolute piss, by spending it on things like drink and drugs, instead of on practical things like food, clothing etc.

People like this make me sick to my stomach:

Original post by lustawny
Well, at least you'd be guaranteed to know exactly what sort of stuff a full time student would potentially spend their JSA dole money on. There's no way of ascertaining what a non-studious JSA claimant is likely to spend this money on, however. A lot of them take the absolute piss, by spending it on things like drink and drugs, instead of on practical things like food, clothing etc.

People like this make me sick to my stomach:

And students NEVER buy alcohol and drugs, right?

haha sludge, thats so cute
Original post by SmallTownGirl
And students NEVER buy alcohol and drugs, right?

I think their academics would be a much higher priority to them than drink and drugs, no? If not, then they're clearly a failure/waster of a student, and aren't worthy of studying at university level in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending