The Student Room Group

To mark International Women's Day lets finally ban the oppressive, sexist Burka

To mark International Women's Day lets finally ban the oppressive, sexist Burka

Scroll to see replies

To my understanding it's their choice isn't it? Or am I wrong, please tell me im clueless
On the outside it may seem like the burka is oppressive/sexist but to the wearer, it can be a symbol of liberation enabling her to enter the public sphere without losing her culture and history. Wearing a burka may symbolise resistance to oppression rather than be a cause of it.
OR

to mark international women's day let's encourage freedom to women internationally to wear whatever they want, even if that is the burka
Original post by Student403
OR

to mark international women's day let's encourage freedom to women internationally to wear whatever they want, even if that is the burka

Don't be so sensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Don't be so sensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops. Forgot this was TSR :getmecoat:
Reply 7
OR

"The burka has mainly been worn in very conservative Muslim cultures, which often restrict the movement and power of women. Young girls are not required to cover themselves with a burka, but at puberty or marriage they begin to wear it. While women do not wear the burka while they are home with their families, they are required to wear it when they are in public or in the presence of men who are not family members."

Underlined to make it more simple.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by holmes221
"The burka has mainly been worn in very conservative Muslim cultures, which often restrict the movement and power of women. Young girls are not required to cover themselves with a burka, but at puberty or marriage they begin to wear it. While women do not wear the burka while they are home with their families,
."

And did you not read my post ?

wear whatever they want, even if that is the burka

Never said "all muslim women should wear the burka"

0/10
Reply 9
Original post by undine_monty
On the outside it may seem like the burka is oppressive/sexist but to the wearer, it can be a symbol of liberation enabling her to enter the public sphere without losing her culture and history. Wearing a burka may symbolise resistance to oppression rather than be a cause of it.

"Liberation" ? please go on.
Reply 10
And did you not read my post ?

Never said "all muslim women should wear the burka"

0/10

I think many women may be insulted to even suggest they might want to wear a misogynistic piece of clothing.
Reply 11
Ironic how on women's day you're taking away the rights of women to wear whatever they want.
I think many women may be insulted to even suggest they might want to wear a misogynistic piece of clothing.

And I think many women might also be insulted that an ignoramus thinks he can speak on behalf of their entire gender in determining what they shouldn't be allowed to wear.
Reply 13

Best ban the use of veils on wedding dresses too then.
I think it can be seen as a fashion icon for muslim women. Particularly young muslim women. Have you not seen the new Dolce and Gabbana Abaya collection?! Its actually really gorgeous, yet modest! :smile:
Reply 15
I don't care if a woman wear a burka or not it's their choice
If a woman wears a burka of her own free will, that is great. More power to her.

If it's forced upon her, that's another idea entirely.

While I disagree with the OPs point banning the burka, I can say that after the revolution in Iran, a whole lot of Persians decided they suddenly wanted to start wearing one.
"The burka has mainly been worn in very conservative Muslim cultures, which often restrict the movement and power of women. Young girls are not required to cover themselves with a burka, but at puberty or marriage they begin to wear it. While women do not wear the burka while they are home with their families, they are required to wear it when they are in public or in the presence of men who are not family members."

So thick. :rofl:
Reply 18
And I think many women might also be insulted that an ignoramus thinks he can speak on behalf of their entire gender in determining what they shouldn't be allowed to wear.

Again underlined to make it simple to comprehend.
Reply 19
Original post by Dez
Best ban the use of veils on wedding dresses too then.

Comparing a one off dress for a one day occasion to having to wear a burka everywhere you go.

Quick Reply

Latest