The Student Room Group

Black africa-american man chocked to death - his daughter speaks out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aceadria
Interesting how you know every 'white' African in the world to know that they do not refer to themselves as 'Africans'. Isn't that, dare I say it, quite racist?

why are you calling them white?

And "interesting how you know every 'white' African in the world to know that they" DO refer to themselves as 'Africans'. Isn't that, dare I say, quite racist?

:rolleyes:

Anyway point here is that non black Sub Saharan Africans in general do NOT want to be considered as black, so they don't say in social situations that they are African. They just say the country. No idea how saying that is racist but I imagine you don't know how saying that is racist either. You're just saying it's racist to be obtuse. Secondly, what's racist is denying you're African JUST so people don't group you in with black Africans.
Original post by DiddyDec
It contradicts your statement about South Africa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll play your game and act simple:

How?
Reply 22
"Black African American"
as opposed to a white African American?
********And even non black and non European Africans (that leaving Asians and Arab immigrants) refer to themselves as the country they're from (an Indian in Mauritius will say "I'm Indian from Mauritius" :indiff: they will NOT say, "I'm African."

And North Africans will just say they're Arab/berber NOT African. There's even an Arab League, to separate from the rest of Africa :colonhash:
Original post by somesomebody
I'll play your game and act simple:

How?

You said in anywhere other than SA white people do not refer to themselves as African. Obviously they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
why are you calling them white?

Relevance?

And "interesting how you know every 'white' African in the world to know that they" DO refer to themselves as 'Africans'. Isn't that, dare I say, quite racist?

I never said they did.

You said:

In any place other than in South Africa a nonblack person will not refer to themselves as African lol

My reply:

Namibia, Angola and Madagascar. May want to look up North too (e.g. Egypt).

Never said that all white people refer to themselves as African.

Statistically speaking, there is a very high likelihood that at least one 'white' person in these countries refers to him or herself as 'African' making your point moot.

Anyway point here is that non black Sub Saharan Africans in general do NOT want to be considered as black, so they don't say in social situations that they are African. They just say the country. No idea how saying that is racist but I imagine you don't know how saying that is racist either. You're just saying it's racist to be obtuse. Secondly, what's racist is denying you're African JUST so people don't group you in with black Africans.

Repeating the same fallacious point does not make it true.
Original post by TheNote
"Black African American"
as opposed to a white African American?

lmao go on and explain this ridiculous sentence.
How on earth can you be a white African American?

African American strictly refers to the

classification for

black Americans who have slave descent

It was a term decided upon nationally because

blacks did not like being called

"coloured" people

Please crack a book open
and then tell me how this relates to a

white person from Europe or being an immigrant in Africa :colonhash:
Relevance?

It's not relevant nor is it accurate lol that North Africans are white.

I never said they did.

Never said that all white people refer to themselves as African.

nice edit here but did I say you said that?

I quite specifically quoted "white African" so what're you saying now?
You're fighting me on something simple because you probably don't understand so you're making it difficult lol

Statistically speaking, there is a very high likelihood that at least one 'white' person in these countries refers to him or herself as 'African' making your point moot.

excuse me, not so fast. Provide me with these statistics. I say that sarcastically; don't bother because you said "at east one" when I've repeated,

"in general." Meaning, commonly, meaning, not that odd rarity :colonhash:

Repeating the same fallacious point does not make it true.

Saying it's fallacious (also without any solid information proving it to be so) doesn't make it fallacious :h:
You said in anywhere other than SA white people do not refer to themselves as African. Obviously they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmfao vapidly naming African countries WITH white people

does NOT prove that they consider themselves African????

:colonhash::colonhash: :rofl:
@The Epicurean @DiddyDec @Aceadria

You people

may refer to non Sub Saharan black Africans

as African

but do they refer to themselves as such?
Is the operative question.

No, generally speaking, they do not refer to themselves as African, full stop. They always will differentiate by naming specifically what their country/ethnic group and religion is.

I am an Egyptian. I am brown/olive skinned as most Egyptians are and I don't have as much of a problem being called African as I do being called Arab. Egypt plays in the African cup of nations so they do identify as African. Still the term African has been used over time to refer to black people, which is understandbale. Black people are black, they may not be African. Calling all blacks Africans is in my opinion ignorant ,s stupid and borderline racist.
Original post by oShahpo
I am an Egyptian. I am brown/olive skinned as most Egyptians are and I don't have as much of a problem being called African as I do being called Arab. Egypt plays in the African cup of nations so they do identify as African. Still the term African has been used over time to refer to black people, which is understandbale. Black people are black, they may not be African. Calling all blacks Africans is in my opinion ignorant ,s stupid and borderline racist.

I don't know you so you can claim you are what you are to make your post seem more credible

but who here is calling all Africans blacks...?
lmfao vapidly naming African countries WITH white people

does NOT prove that they consider themselves African????

:colonhash::colonhash: :rofl:

I know quite a few white Zimbabweans who refer to themselves as African or Rhodesian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oShahpo

Ah yes that's what I was going to say:

only when it benefits thm do they consider themselves African

I never said, in international football league situations :colonhash:

I keep saying

in social situations people! As in, friend to friend, neighbour to neighbour, teacher to student, family to family...do you call yourself African generally in these situations? I bet you specify you're Egyptian. As you just did here lol

you couldve just said I'm African. But no you first two sentences went into specifics about being Egyptian (which you may or may not be!) and being "olive skinned" so we won't think you're a dark African!
My point proven!

****@DiddyDec @Aceadria
(edited 8 years ago)
I know quite a few white Zimbabweans who refer to themselves as African or Rhodesian.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmfao sure. sure you do.

anything else?
Reply 34
You said "black" African American
Is there any other way to be Af-Am?...

North Africans? Africa is pretty diverse. There's huge south asian communities, white communities, arabs of varying colours et al.
Original post by Tawheed
North Africans? Africa is pretty diverse. There's huge south asian communities, white communities, arabs of varying colours et al.

I won't be doing this again

Please read your own thread, I've already discussed this

In short:

simply naming places in Africa with non black Sub Saharan "communities"

does NOT explain

your typo. Which I see is NOT a typo at all. It's something people desperately, for the mere sake of arguing, want to defend lol because they think it's true.

You actually think there is any other way to be African American than black???

Let me do this for you just once:

lmao go on and explain this ridiculous sentence.
How on earth can you be a white African American?

African American strictly refers to the

classification for

black Americans who have slave descent

It was a term decided upon nationally because

blacks did not like being called

"coloured" people

Please crack a book open
and then tell me how this relates to a

white person from Europe or being an immigrant in Africa :colonhash:
lmfao sure. sure you do.

anything else?

lmfao sure. sure you do.

anything else?

Given that your point is now moot, no.
Given that your point is now moot, no.

lol sure it is Mr. Whites In Africa Call Themselves African But I Can't Prove It So I'll Just Keep Obtusely Listing Places In Africa WITH White People But Pretend That It Suffices As Proof And Then Have The Cheek To Keep Quoting Someone Else Like I Legitimately Explained Myself

:rolleyes:
Ah yes that's what I was going to say:

only when it benefits thm do they consider themselves African

I never said, in international football league situations :colonhash:

I keep saying

in social situations people! As in, friend to friend, neighbour to neighbour, teacher to student, family to family...do you call yourself African generally in these situations? I bet you specify you're Egyptian. As you just did here lol

you couldve just said I'm African. But no you first two sentences went into specifics about being Egyptian (which you may or may not be!) and being "olive skinned" so we won't think you're a dark African!
My point proven!

****@DiddyDec @Aceadria

I'm starting to think you're having discussions with yourself here. You're answering questions that no one has asked.
I'm starting to think you're having discussions with yourself here. You're answering questions that no one has asked.

Lol you literally just denied that Egyptians for example deny being called African when I have argued with YOU this entire time that they in fact specifically refer to themselves as not African but as their country :colonhash:

And I proved it and you know I did :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending