The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Economics at Bath VS university of Bristol.

I have recieved offers from both, i wish to know which of the two you think is best?
Reply 1
I'm from Bristol and whilst I can't speak for the course, there are a lot of links with financial industries. Last term I went to around 6 events and networking sessions and met representatives from Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley, Citi, PwC, and last week I visited the EY offices for an actuarial insight evening. Clearly they are quite interested in Bristol students!

Something worth thinking about.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by TheBBQ
I'm from Bristol and whilst I can't speak for the course, there are a lot of links with financial industries. Last term I went to around 6 events and networking sessions and met representatives from Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley, Citi, PwC, and last week I visited the EY offices for an actuarial insight evening. Clearly they are quite interested in Bristol students!

Something worth thinking about.

Sounds interesting, ill keep it in mind.
Original post by Sceriksen
I have recieved offers from both, i wish to know which of the two you think is best?

Hi,

I am a first year International Management student at the University of Bath, although the School of Management is separate to economics I can hopefully help you out to some extent.

If you are interested in going into banking and finance, the University of Bath regularly has visits from many financial services. Feel free to check out this list of employers who visited our most recent careers fair. Outside of careers fair businesses visit to come and talk with us, this could be casually outside the library or as part of a presentation for example.

I would also encourage you to think about the experience that you would get from the different universities that you are considering. If you are able to, make sure that you attend one of our offer holders days. This allows you to get a feel for the university that you are unable to find online! The University of Bath is a campus based university, which is great because you will always be bumping into friends when you are walking around. There is plenty of social space to relax with your friends, world class sports facilities and new arts facilities in the Edge. It is important to remember that all of this is in the World Heritage city of Bath, an amazing place to be living over the course of your degree! If there is anything else that I can help you with please feel free to let me know!

Hayden
There have been other threads about Econ at Bath - it has pretty terrible student satisfaction ratings and it's clear to us why. Go to Bristol.
Original post by Sceriksen

2nd year Bath Economics student here. Careers-wise Bath is probably the better option. I know a lot of people will say that for IB etc placement years don't matter as much and 'reputation' is what matters, but I know a lot of people who are having a rethink about their desire to work in front office IB, and if that happens, or simply if they don't quite cut it during recruitment, a placement is going to be considerably more useful for other career routes - you could think of it as insurance. If you are considering something else like public sector economics, professional services, asset/investment management, economics consultancy etc a Bath placement can be a fast-track to a graduate job.

RibenaRockstar has detailed her experience(s) with the department at Bath in several posts, and to an extent I can agree that they aren't particularly proactive in terms of helping students who may have fallen behind - essentially you have a lot of personal responsibility to ensure you can make the grades. That being said, I don't think, even with the (sometimes unnecessarily) challenging structure/content of modules, somebody who meets the A*AA entry requirement will on average have many problems attaining a 2.1 if they put the time and effort in.

If the academic experience is the most important element in your decision, you may want to consider Bristol (but I can't speak from experience, other than knowing that they, too, have a very good Economics department). If career prospects are the most important element, I'd say Bath offers a more secure route to a graduate job/scheme.
Reply 6
Hey there, I'm really interested in taking economics at Bath but am really not sure what other HL subject to take than Economics HL and Math SL(we don't have math HL).
Here are my options:
Business mgt. HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL

If I take business HL I must take a science at sl (probably Biology).
Your reply would be a great help.
Reply 7
Hi there!
I'm really interested in pursuing economics at Bath, but I'm having a problem choosing my subject combination. Maybe an HL science to pair up with Economics HL and Math SL?
Or, will business mgt. HL useful when applying or should I take a science HL instead?
Your reply would be great help!
Original post by Rayonxx
Hey there, I'm really interested in taking economics at Bath but am really not sure what other HL subject to take than Economics HL and Math SL(we don't have math HL).
Here are my options:
Business mgt. HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL

If I take business HL I must take a science at sl (probably Biology).
Your reply would be a great help.

Probably Physics would be your best bet, seeing as it's the most mathematical (as far as I'm aware). Bath's Economics degree has quite a bit of maths in it, and as far as I've spoken to admissions (before I got in) they think maths is the most important subject when determining an offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Pro Crastination
Probably Physics would be your best bet, seeing as it's the most mathematical (as far as I'm aware). Bath's Economics degree has quite a bit of maths in it, and as far as I've spoken to admissions (before I got in) they think maths is the most important subject when determining an offer.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by RibenaRockstar
There have been other threads about Econ at Bath - it has pretty terrible student satisfaction ratings and it's clear to us why. Go to Bristol.

Hey, from what i have understood you have had negative experiences with economics at bath. I am trying to find your past posts where i can read what u wrote, but i can't find it, would you care to link it for me?

Thanks!
Original post by University of Bath
Hi,

I am a first year International Management student at the University of Bath, although the School of Management is separate to economics I can hopefully help you out to some extent.

If you are interested in going into banking and finance, the University of Bath regularly has visits from many financial services. Feel free to check out this list of employers who visited our most recent careers fair. Outside of careers fair businesses visit to come and talk with us, this could be casually outside the library or as part of a presentation for example.

I would also encourage you to think about the experience that you would get from the different universities that you are considering. If you are able to, make sure that you attend one of our offer holders days. This allows you to get a feel for the university that you are unable to find online! The University of Bath is a campus based university, which is great because you will always be bumping into friends when you are walking around. There is plenty of social space to relax with your friends, world class sports facilities and new arts facilities in the Edge. It is important to remember that all of this is in the World Heritage city of Bath, an amazing place to be living over the course of your degree! If there is anything else that I can help you with please feel free to let me know!

Hayden

Thanks for the information. The link (on line 10 I think) regarding the list of employers requires a log-in. Please can you put the list of employers on this thread so I can see it?
Original post by University of Bath
Hi,

Hayden

Thanks for the information. The link (on line 10 I think) regarding the list of employers requires a log-in. Please can you put the list of employers on this thread so I can see it?

Quick Reply

Latest