The Student Room Group

EPQ Artefact Report 1000 words

Hi there all! So I am doing the EPQ, artefact precisely, and its a short movie called "The Artificial Man". My topic is the social and financial aspect on those that suffer limb loss, ultimately going with prosthetics and/or bionics. I took inspiration from the Alton Towers incident, where a girl had lost her leg, in the end getting a rather expensive prosthetic. Im currently reworking my 1000 word essay, but its still at 3000 and im not sure what is needed, what isnt, my college hasnt given any guidence. Any tips/help???
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
I'm in the same boat as you- my essay is still at three thousand (also doing the artefact), and I have no clue what to remove. But I've looked on the aqa website for the epq guide and it says it has to be 1000 at least, so I'm thinking they might be fine as they are. There aren't any other boundaries as far as I can see as to how much we need to/can write...
As long as it's quality with no rambling, it should be fine :h:
Reply 3
Original post by bamboolie
I'm in the same boat as you- my essay is still at three thousand (also doing the artefact), and I have no clue what to remove. But I've looked on the aqa website for the epq guide and it says it has to be 1000 at least, so I'm thinking they might be fine as they are. There aren't any other boundaries as far as I can see as to how much we need to/can write...
As long as it's quality with no rambling, it should be fine :h:

Its ridiculous the AQA mark scheme is awful. We have 1 hour left of the 30 taught which will be sorted tomorrow, im almost done on the movie and presentation is very soon, this report is another headache. If its AROUND 1000 you think 1900 is okay? I really cant find anything else to cut off. What did you talk about in yours anyways? I did:

Intro
Project Overview (strength/weakness/changes)
Primary Research
Secondary Research
Skills Learnt
Conclusion
1900 seems great, much better than my 2400. I'm still cutting down though. I talked about:

Intro (really concise and brief)
Primary research
Secondary research
Making process of actual artefact (I made a piece of pottery). This bit pretty much covers skills learnt. And strengths/weaknesses/changes. It makes up most of the report really.

The supervisor has been as useful as the mark scheme, they haven't even said anything about the presentation at all (they just say not to worry about it when I ask). Do you know when abouts it will be?
Reply 5
1900 seems great, much better than my 2400. I'm still cutting down though. I talked about:

Intro (really concise and brief)
Primary research
Secondary research
Making process of actual artefact (I made a piece of pottery). This bit pretty much covers skills learnt. And strengths/weaknesses/changes. It makes up most of the report really.

The supervisor has been as useful as the mark scheme, they haven't even said anything about the presentation at all (they just say not to worry about it when I ask). Do you know when abouts it will be?

Heya! So i actually had the last lesson of the 30 hours today. FOr the report it says AT LEAST 1k so you were right! Try to bring yours to 2k im gonna to 2k too, its perfectly fine to go slightly above! My supervisor hasnt been very helpful either its been 90% me 10% him, and yeah the presentation is pretty similar, just practise!

My presentation has been booked for the 22nd of March! Im currently finishing off presentation practise etc etc so you should really push to get it done within the next 2-3 weeks. Easter break is soon and my college have made a hand in date of April 11 so !!
Oh gosh I haven't even started it!! I don't even fully know exactly what I have to do yet! I'll email my supervisor about it and see when we'll be doing ours, he's not even in three out of five days a week. Good luck with yours :proud: I'm sure you'll do great
Reply 7
Oh gosh I haven't even started it!! I don't even fully know exactly what I have to do yet! I'll email my supervisor about it and see when we'll be doing ours, he's not even in three out of five days a week. Good luck with yours :proud: I'm sure you'll do great

Id really push your supervisor, ive gotten to the point where i just want to finish it and focus on my exams, so im just pestering my supervisor to get his act together and help me collate my folder of work and research together update my log etc etc. Thanks! And i really do hope yours goes wicked well! Its only a few weeks left then its all over :P Ill let you know how it goes and update you on what to expect etc etc if i have mine before yours !
If you're trying to cut down on words then rather than reading through to edit try looking at each individual sentence in isolation. For each sentence read through omitting different words. If it still makes sense take out the superfluous words.

It sounds tedious but it's a very quick and tidy way of tightening up your writing.

I've done an example below:

before
Hi there all! So I am doing the EPQ, artefact precisely, and its a short movie called "The Artificial Man". My topic is the social and financial aspect on those that suffer limb loss, ultimately going with prosthetics and/or bionics. I took inspiration from the Alton Towers incident, where a girl had lost her leg, in the end getting a rather expensive prosthetic. Im currently reworking my 1000 word essay, but its still at 3000 and im not sure what is needed, what isnt, my college hasnt given any guidence. Any tips/help???
after
Hi! I am doing EPQ artefact: a short movie called "The Artificial Man". Covering the social and financial aspect of limb loss, and getting prosthetics. I took inspiration from the Alton Towers incident, where a girl lost her leg, getting an expensive prosthetic. Im reworking my 1000 word essay, but its still at 3000 and im not sure what is needed, what isnt, my college hasnt given any guidence. Any tips/help???
Thank you PQ, that was very useful!

My presentation is on the 18th. As in five days time (pretty much) :s-smilie:. The upside is it'll be done soon, downside is I have no idea what to say. I've started making a presentation on PowerPoint, which is going well and I've almost finished it, but when I run through it my words just jumble up and I lose my stream of thought. I don't want to just read it from the screen, any tips there? Thanks in advance!!
Reply 10

My presentation is on the 18th. As in five days time (pretty much) :s-smilie:. The upside is it'll be done soon, downside is I have no idea what to say. I've started making a presentation on PowerPoint, which is going well and I've almost finished it, but when I run through it my words just jumble up and I lose my stream of thought. I don't want to just read it from the screen, any tips there? Thanks in advance!!

Hey! DAMN! Yours is this week friday then! So ive finished my presentation on Prezi and i wrote up a script im gonna revise/cram and use cue cards. Ill PM you my presentation so you get a feel for it, i numbed it ALOT so i had more to say rather than just reading whats on the board. Im also using handouts, my movie trailer and i got questions to ask the audience. Good luck!

Yes actually

Read this: http://copperbadge.livejournal.com/3406378.html

Best presentation advice I've ever read
1000 words minimum, 5000 words maximum.
What exactly are we supposed to write in the essay to go with the artefact? I haven't even started it yet, but if it's just an account of what we did then I don't see how that isn't just a repetition of the diary, rationale and abstract... For mine I'm writing and recording an album of my own songs and I'm finding it difficult to find sources I can make references to let alone know what to do in the essay....Any advice?
I'm also doing the artefact but I was told to write between 1500 and 3000 words. I just don't know where to start!

Quick Reply

Latest