The Student Room Group

Does rape culture exist? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity
Haha fair enough, fair enough.

More often than not I don't actually believe in what I'm arguing for, it just entertains me.
Original post by DiddyDec
More often than not I don't actually believe in what I'm arguing for, it just entertains me.

I think that accounts for much of the posting that goes on here

Nearly home time anyway
Lol why not....

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Rape culture is someone saying 'wearing a short skirt is like leaving your front door open'.

As we do not live in a utopia, giving the warning that getting so drunk you are not in control of your faculties puts you at greater risk of mugging/sexual assault/rape is not a rape/burglary culture. A culture would mean a majority view was present, I do not think the majority of men/woman would agree with the quotation you give.

Rape culture is survivors being asked in court about what they were wearing when they were raped.

Fair enough, though I'm struggling to find these cases, can we have links to some examples where the defence use their dress code as part of their clients not guilty plea?

Rape culture is women being told if you wear revealing clothing/get drunk/make-out with someone/walk home alone at night they were 'asking for it'.

Again, the UK having a rape culture would indicate most follow this view, I'm not sure this is the case? (I appreciate there are some disturbing statistics on how many think a woman has a degree of blame in this sort of instance, 20% roughly, but it does depend on how this question was phrased to them)

Rape culture is university men's sports teams on nights out chanting 'No means yes. Yes means anal.'.

I'll give you sports teams "lads" banter can be quite vulgar and they do egg each other on. Although I would question as to if they seriously hold those views (I'll expand on that in the last point)

Rape culture is when young men with 'promising futures' ahead of them are convicted of rape and people say they survivor going to the police has 'ruined' the men's lives.

Does this often occur when the men are actually convicted and not just acquitted? But I'll give you that it does occur.

Rape culture is when people say that if someone accuses a rich man of rape then they must be lying for attention or money.

Again I'll give you this to a degree however I think this is down a few damaging cases where the woman has indeed lied, which is why false rape claims are very dangerous as they do cause a lot of damage to genuine victims as they create an air of skepticism, but I wouldn't say this means rape itself is thought of as acceptable

Rape culture is saying that it must be consensual if the people are in a relationship/have had sex before/went home together even though none of these things constitute consent.

Again would argue this is a minority view now. Although of course there is room for improvement, since marital rape only became recognised by law in 1991 (which is pretty awful tbf) in the last

Rape culture is saying men 'can't control themselves' around women who are drunk/alone/wearing revealing clothing.

I don't think that's often said tbf? Seen it said as a defence for the recent migrants raping woman in Germany mind (by a woman no less) .

Rape culture is jokes about spiking people's drinks.

Now here I'd disagree, a joke about a negative event does not imply the person supports it, dark humor is a significant aspect of comedy in general. You get jokes about all sorts of sensitive topics, murder, paedophile jokes, dead baby jokes etc. If you find them distasteful that's fine, but they clearly do not support murder, murder of babies, rape etc. Although a different situation, I wouldn't say there is a culture that men are inferior to woman or plain clumsy despite the fact I cannot count the number of times when working in retail that a checkout girl serving a middle aged woman would make that sort of remark as a "joke" if I was bag packing for instance (he's not packing it neatly enough, well he's just a bloke what do you expect, men are useless etc).

All in all, I'd argue if you asked anyone "are there instances where forcing/pressuring someone to have sex is justifiable?"....you're not getting many yes responses
(edited 8 years ago)
I think that accounts for much of the posting that goes on here

Difference being many are trolls.

Nearly home time anyway

Nearly still got almost an hour to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Difference being many are trolls.

Nearly still got almost an hour to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you been on the Smutty Professor thread yet? That may help.
Have you been on the Smutty Professor thread yet? That may help.

Read the whole thing already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. Rape is second only to murder in what society considers an abhorent crime. I'd say it's one of the most taboo things in our culture. And the bias in our society typically lies with the woman, anyway. All it takes is an accusation for the man to become a pariah.

'Feminists' generally have to point to dark jokes and a small cadre of asshats on the internet to make their case for rape culture. It's an overly dramatic exaggeration designed to garner attention and titilate their sense of perpetual victimhood.

And did you know women in the US and the UK are more likely to get cancer than be raped?
As others have correctly said.. In some cultures yes. In first world countries... No
Buzzfeed, not even once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things are heating up over in "I'm a Muslim girl and I don't want to fall for him"

(I am heating them up)
Things are heating up over in "I'm a Muslim girl and I don't want to fall for him"

(I am heating them up)

Relationships, not even once. It is either trolls or the problems of teenagers with no perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relationships, not even once. It is either trolls or the problems of teenagers with no perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I tried for you I tried.

Surely home time now at 5:30?
The Opinion

Yes, it certainly does, for it does for psychopaths, and both our society and theirs is absolutely teaming with those. Even for males on the fringes, that are not fully blown psychopaths. We don`t hear much of psychopaths because the genuine experts, you and I, that might have the time element in place to know whether psychopathic traits exist as a constant, are dismissed in favor of those idiot so called experts, the ones with all the qualifications, that only by chance will ever do. Psychopaths always get off on Personality Disorder, that is if it even gets this far, which it seldom does.

Many times bullies are in fact psychopaths, or sociopaths,(since birth), not necessarily though, and neither necessarily those that participate in gang rapes. This act often leads to the suicide of their victim. or otherwise they may not deem themselves worthy of better than prostitution.. Many fathers are to weak minded to other than blame their daughter for her rape. I`have lost a friend in LA to gang rape. She was just seventeen, suicide She could not tell her parents because her father would have blamed her. She was n`t Asian!

Where psychopathy exists in men, and it does exist, you wont hear them shouting it from the treetops. They sought friendships with like minded people. There are no genuine excuses for the male species, not even if the girl is walking around naked in front of them, but unfortunately half the population, including myself, are male. There are however many word combinations which may have certain inferior males thinking so, the human animals rather than the human beings among us.

Because both psychopaths and sociopaths are egoists it`s vital to remember that genuine love plays the same tune as self love for the majority of the time/for that time when it is n`t being rigorously tested. That`s often long enough for you to find yourself living with one, even having had children by one; the present position of one of my lodgers. Men that can cope with being kept hands off for extended periods of time are generally the most to be trusted. It`s not water tight on its own, but it is a very good indication. www.celebritydiscodave.co.uk
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes but I wouldn't say it exists in the West.
Reply 76
Original post by Kates David
The Opinion

Yes, it certainly does, for it does for psychopaths, and both our society and theirs is absolutely teaming with those. Even for males on the fringes, that are not fully blown psychopaths. We don`t here much of psychopaths because the genuine experts, you and I, that might have the time element in place to know whether psychopathic traits exist as a constant, are dismissed in favor of those idiot so called experts, the ones with all the qualifications, that only by chance will ever do. Many times bullies are in fact psychopaths, or sociopaths,(since birth), not necessarily though, and neither necessarily those that participate in gang rapes. This act often leads to the suicide of their victim however. I`ve lost a friend in LA to gang rape. Where it exists in men, and it does exist, you wont hear them shouting it from the treetops. They sought friendships with like minded people. There are no genuine excuses for the male species, not even if the girl is walking around naked in front of them, but unfortunately half the population, including myself, are male. There are however many word combinations which may have certain inferior males thinking so. The human animals rather than the human beings among us. Because psychopaths and sociopaths are egoists it`s vital to remember that genuine love plays the same tune as self love for the majority of the time/for that time when it is n`t being rigorously tested. That`s often long enough for you to find yourself living with one. Men that can cope with being kept hands off for extended periods of time are generally the most to be trusted. It`s not water tight on its own, but it is a very good indication.

So women can't be rapists?
Reply 77

(I am heating them up)

Currently my favourite TSR thread :wink:
rape culture?
pahahahah this is why no one takes feminism seriously.
Original post by TheOpinion
Currently my favourite TSR thread :wink:

My posts in it are like;

"What?"

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"Are you being serious?"

"Errr..."

Mods are always telling me off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending