The Student Room Group

alternative method

Two numbers have common factors of 216 and 540 and are multiples of 9 and 12. What are these two numbers? I can answer this question and figure out the answer as being 108 and 36, but my method is quite long, which is why I was wondering how other people would go out answering the question...
Reply 1
Moved to maths.
Reply 2
Original post by neharajput
Two numbers have common factors of 216 and 540 and are multiples of 9 and 12. What are these two numbers? I can answer this question and figure out the answer as being 108 and 36, but my method is quite long, which is why I was wondering how other people would go out answering the question...

How does 108 and 36 have a common factor of 216 and 540...?
Reply 3

Should that word be 'are'?
Two numbers are common factors of 216 and 540 and are multiples of 9 and 12. What are these two numbers? I can answer this question and figure out the answer as being 108 and 36, but my method is quite long, which is why I was wondering how other people would go out answering the question...

My method;

Let A = numbers required

first acknowledge that A is a multiple of 9 and 12

L.C.M. of 9 & 12 = 36

therefore A takes the form 36n (where n is > 0 and an integer)

then think about the multiples of A, 540 and 216

540 / 36 = 15
216 / 36 = 6

therefore n must be a factor of both 15 and 6

n = 1 and 3 only

therefore A = 36(1) and 36(3) = 36 and 108

as required.
Reply 5

Assuming a typo, this question becomes a lot simpler if you write each number as products of their prime factors.

Have you tried this?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
How does 108 and 36 have a common factor of 216 and 540...?

I accidentally typed have, but I meant to say are:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest