The Student Room Group

NHS Bursary application help?

I'm filling out the NHS bursary application and was wondering if you can leave the student income and expenses blank? I'm a full time student living at home so I wont know what income will have in the next year?
Reply 1
I've just been going through the same hell.

What do you mean you won't know your income next year? I'm assuming that any money you have will either be from your parents, the bursary itself, or possibly part-time work which it specifically states you shouldn't include if you are a full-time student. Unless you happen to own any property or something like that then yes you leave it all blank.

By the way, when you get to the bit about your parents income they want info from the financial year 2015-2016 which hasn't finished yet, so you can't actually apply yet. Idk why they've bothered opening applications this early.
Original post by Ghotay
I've just been going through the same hell.

What do you mean you won't know your income next year? I'm assuming that any money you have will either be from your parents, the bursary itself, or possibly part-time work which it specifically states you shouldn't include if you are a full-time student. Unless you happen to own any property or something like that then yes you leave it all blank.

By the way, when you get to the bit about your parents income they want info from the financial year 2015-2016 which hasn't finished yet, so you can't actually apply yet. Idk why they've bothered opening applications this early.

For people not declaring income, they can still apply from now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Ruqi_Cookie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, that makes sense. Presumably you get a lot less if you don't declare income? Why would you choose to do that?
Original post by Ghotay
Ahh, that makes sense. Presumably you get a lot less if you don't declare income? Why would you choose to do that?

Well actually, if you already know you're not entitled to bursary (income over 50k ish? Not sure) and you've already got offers, then it'll just speed up the process of confirming tuition fees and they'll still get 1000 non-means tested.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well actually, if you already know you're not entitled to bursary (income over 50k ish) and you've already got offers, then it'll just speed up the process of confirming tuition fees and they'll still get 1000 non-means tested.

Medicine is a bit different to other courses, NHS funding only kicks in in fifth year.

EDIT: but the rest of your post is probably the reason. Plus it will open up for people reapplying for another year of funding.
Reply 6
I get so confused when it comes to student finance. I'm doing adult nursing starting in September so will it mean I'm eligible to the NHS bursary including means tested bursary, the non means tested grant (and extra weeks allowances) but also a non means tested student loan from student finance? Just wondered if someone can confirm this. Thanksss
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd always declare income, especially if your course year is long. After a certain point (46 weeks I think it is, or 42) you automatically get a relatively large chunk of money even though you may be over the means-tested threshold. I know some people missed out on it because they didn't declare because they just assumed they wouldn't get anything.
Original post by ch10
I get so confused when it comes to student finance. I'm doing adult nursing starting in September so will it mean I'm eligible to the NHS bursary including means tested bursary, the non means tested grant (and extra weeks allowances) but also a non means tested student loan from student finance? Just wondered if someone can confirm this. Thanksss

Hi

I am not a student nurse but I am a second year student on an NHS funded course - you can apply for a reduced loan from SFE (its about £2300) on top of the NHS bursary. The SFE loan is paid in three instalments - one each term - the NHS bursary is paid each month on the third Friday.
Reply 9
Original post by AmyPilot
Hi

I am not a student nurse but I am a second year student on an NHS funded course - you can apply for a reduced loan from SFE (its about £2300) on top of the NHS bursary. The SFE loan is paid in three instalments - one each term - the NHS bursary is paid each month on the third Friday.

Thankyou for clearing that up for me because I wasn't 100% sure if you could get a SFE loan.
Thanksss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending