The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Thought doing something like this would help to motivate me and hopefully others, as well as helping me to actually track and plan what I've done/am going to do.

A bit about me; I'm in year 12 doing maths, french, chemistry and physics. I got pretty good GCSEs, even by TSR standards, and I'm expected to do well this year.

So far, my AS levels have been in general very good, but sometimes I'll feel really motivated, and other times completely drained and lethargic.

I have just done some mocks and I am currently still getting back my results:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Today and tomorrow I am having a break having just finished quite heavy revision for mocks, but on Monday I'll be starting the grind again.

Will update tomorrow.
Reply 2
Let's get this party started!

Tonight I'm going to be doing an hour of Physics AS electricity, I think I'm going to review everything I've done in Electricity so far. I'll also do an hour of Inorganic Chemistry where I will focus on nailing my redox module and nailing my atomic structure and bonding, so I can move on to my last inorganic topic soon.

6-7 Physics (X) Went okay, skimmed through the revision guide to get an overview of what I'm going to do and got rid of my old (bad) notes, and started a past paper on this module.

9-10 Inorganic Chemistry (X) Went over some bonding and redox, which went well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by richpanda
Let's get this party started!

Tonight I'm going to be doing an hour of Physics AS electricity, I think I'm going to review everything I've done in Electricity so far. I'll also do an hour of Inorganic Chemistry where I will focus on nailing my redox module and nailing my atomic structure and bonding, so I can move on to my last inorganic topic soon.

6-7 Physics (X) Went okay, skimmed through the revision guide to get an overview of what I'm going to do and got rid of my old (bad) notes, and started a past paper on this module.

9-10 Inorganic Chemistry ()

Hi this sounds great! keep going, I know what you mean about the motivation bursts:/.
If you dont mind me asking, what are your gcse results? :smile:
Good luck! :h:
Reply 5

Do you want this moved to 'Grow your Grades'? I can do that for you if you want.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Do you want this moved to 'Grow your Grades'? I can do that for you if you want.

Yes please thank you, I tried to put it there to start with but it wouldn't allow me to create the thread.
Reply 7
Original post by FJCX
Hi this sounds great! keep going, I know what you mean about the motivation bursts:/.
If you dont mind me asking, what are your gcse results? :smile:

I got all 6A*s, with the rest as A's and B's. Are you gcse at the moment?
Reply 8
Yes please thank you, I tried to put it there to start with but it wouldn't allow me to create the thread.

Done.
Reply 9
08/03/16

I have added in my latest mock grades.

Unless stated, all my revision sessions (especially on weekdays) are 1 hour long. Today, I'm doing some more electricity/waves for physics, and an organic chemistry revision session. For physics I'll probably try and finish off the past paper that I started yesterday (remember that past papers are great for learning, not just practicing). In chemistry, I'm going to completely learn and write up our short AS equilibrium topic, and then I'll only have modern analytical techniques left to do before I've finished organic/physical.

6-7 Physics (Electricity/Waves) (X) Finished off the past paper then reviewed the first chapter on electricity.

8-9 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) Did the whole of equilibrium topic in 2 pages of notes and then a few questions to consolidate- it's really not that hard, I really liked it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Done.

Reply 11
09/03/16

I've had all of my mocks back, now going to start ramping up the revision. Basically, this means actually revising on weekends and keeping at 2 hours every school day.

Today, I've got French grammar/vocab and inorganic chemistry. I will probably do a page from the grammar book and review 1 of the module vocab lists for french. For inorganic chemistry, I think I'm going to do the most recent mock again, then add to my notes from things off the markscheme next time.

6-7 French () Damn I didn't get this done, I just lacked the motivation, pure and simple.

8:30-9:30 Chemistry (Inorganic/Physical) (X) I actually did this session first. I did an hour of questions on structure, bonding, equations and moles and marked them too. I feel more confident after having done these, I'm going to do the mock past paper again next time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
10/03/16

I have C2 and Physics waves/electricity sessions today. Will update with what I'm going to do when I get back from school.

4-5:30(ish) C2 (X) Did a C2 past paper, got full marks other than the 2 trig/radians questions which I didn't even attempt, as we haven't completely done them in class yet. It was still really nice to get an A on the paper without even doing those questions, I'm going to go over them with my teacher tomorrow.

8:30- 9:30 Physics (Electricity/Waves) (X) Didn't do. Slacked off badly today and yesterday.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I got all 6A*s, with the rest as A's and B's. Are you gcse at the moment?

CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE YOUR BIO NOTES FOR Unit 2: Development, Plants
and the Environment

AND unit one
Reply 14
Original post by RAZA1999
CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE YOUR BIO NOTES FOR

AND unit one

I did ocr biology gcse, and I don't do biology a level.
Reply 15
11/03/2016

Had a good day at school, got full marks on a C2 past paper I did. I've got M1 and organic chemistry tonight, for M1 I'm going to do a past paper and for organic chem I think I'm going to spend 15 mins doing questions on each of the 4 topic in organic I've done so far (Organic/Organic Reactions, Kinetics, Energetics and Equilibrium)

7-8 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) Did some questions from each of the 4 topics I listed above. It was good to go over the key principles in some of the topics. By this I mean that for energetics, kinetics and equilibrium the theory and equations you need to know are very underlying and basic throughout all question types.

9-10:30 Mechanics (X) Knocked out the full paper and did pretty well, just a few nuances I'd like to go over with my teacher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
12/03/2016

My first weekend revision day! I have already marked last night's M1 paper and think I know what I'm going to do today. I'd like to my mock chemistry papers again, so I'll do one today and one tomorrow. In addition to that, I'll do a homework on redox reactions which is effectively revision for that topic. I might do a few more M1 practice questions today for maths, and there's also a physics write up I need to do for a practical. Will try to fit in some french too.

10-11:30 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) Re-did my mock paper and got right up to the top, makes me realise how sloppy I was in the mock. Will probably not do that paper again until just before exams.

11:45-12:30 Maths () I'm going to watch some youtube videos (on mechanics most likely) as I find it a really good way of revising without feeling you're revising.

After lunch I'm going to head out for a run or bike ride, I just seem to have an inability to do work after having had lunch and about 4pm, so I may as well do something good. As it's now getting better in terms of weather, I'll probably spend my free time on weekends either watching the football or exercising.

4-5 Chemistry (Inorganic/Physical) (X) Did the redox practice questions, still find some of them very tricky.
(edited 8 years ago)
My god this thread worries me about my sixth form. Recently did mocks (with poor results really) but also haven't even finished Organic Chemistry unit or Core 2 OR Stats 1 in maths...
Reply 18
Original post by will3482
My god this thread worries me about my sixth form. Recently did mocks (with poor results really) but also haven't even finished Organic Chemistry unit or Core 2 OR Stats 1 in maths...

We still have 1 topic out of 5 from both my physical/organic AND our physical/inorganic, so we're not completely done. We have excellent, organised maths teachers so that's why we're already done.
We still have 1 topic out of 5 from both my physical/organic AND our physical/inorganic, so we're not completely done. We have excellent, organised maths teachers so that's why we're already done.

Definitely jealous. At this rate I'm worried 90% of Core 2 is going to be self-taught for me, and that's definitely the unit that I think I will need the most guidance on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending