The Student Room Group

applying differential equations to real-life problems

Hi guys ,
I'm practising differential equations where you need to integrate both sides to find the general solution as it's shown in the attachment I'm a bit confused of integrating -k dt which which gives out -kt can anyone help?thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hi guys ,
I'm practising differential equations where you need to integrate both sides to find the general solution as it's shown in the attachment I'm a bit confused of integrating -k dt which which gives out -kt can anyone help?thanks

kk is a constant, i.e: nothing but a number. How would you integrate 1dt\int -1 \, \mathrm{d}t? You'd get t+c-t +c, I hope?

So:
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystye \int -k \, \mathrm{d}t = -k \int\, \mathrm{d}t = -kt + c

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
kk is a constant, i.e: nothing but a number. How would you integrate 1dt\int -1 \, \mathrm{d}t? You'd get t+c-t +c, I hope?

So:

\displaystye \int -k \, \mathrm{d}t = -k \int\, \mathrm{d}t = -kt + c

Thanks man
Reply 3
Original post by Alen.m
Thanks man

No problem.
Original post by Zacken
No problem.

On the topic of DE's, do you know if i'm allowed to integrate between limits rather than using +c in c4 (e.g. integrate between p0 and P), which is mathematically valid but i don't think it is normally in mark schemes
Reply 5
Original post by samb1234
On the topic of DE's, do you know if i'm allowed to integrate between limits rather than using +c in c4 (e.g. integrate between p0 and P), which is mathematically valid but i don't think it is normally in mark schemes

You are. No problem about it.
Original post by Zacken

thanks, i hate using +c lol
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken

Can i just also ask you one single question about e equations in the attachment, im abit confused and also couldnt find anything usefull on my note about how 1/a is written as Aimage.jpeg
Reply 8
Original post by Alen.m
Can i just also ask you one single question about e equations in the attachment, im abit confused and also couldnt find anything usefull on my note about how 1/a is written as Aimage.jpeg

AA is an arbitrary constant. That is, it can be any number. It doesn't matter what form I like it in.

For example, if I was doing 2dx=2x+c\int 2 \, \mathrm{d}x = 2x + c, I could write the cc in whichever way I want. I could use 2x+c22x + c^2 or 2xc2x-c or 2x+A2x + A, it doesn't matter and nobody cares because it'll all work out in the end.

So, in cases like this. you could leave your answer as 1aekt\frac{1}{a}e^{-kt} but we choose to say A=1aA = \frac{1}{a} and write AektAe^{-kt} because it just looks nicer.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
AA is an arbitrary constant. That is, it can be any number. It doesn't matter what form I like it in.

For example, if I was doing 2dx=2x+c\int 2 \, \mathrm{d}x = 2x + c, I could write the cc in whichever way I want. I could use 2x+c22x + c^2 or 2xc2x-c or 2x+A2x + A, it doesn't matter and nobody cares because it'll all work out in the end.

So, in cases like this. you could leave your answer as 1aekt\frac{1}{a}e^{-kt} but we choose to say A=1aA = \frac{1}{a} and write AektAe^{-kt} because it just looks nicer.

All clear now, for the other part i was trying to sketch the graph of y=30000-20000e^0.2In0.9t and saw this bullet point from the text book saying that remmeber that0.2In0.9t is negative , can you please touch on that a little bit so i underestand what the text book meant by that thanks image.jpg
Reply 10
Original post by Alen.m
All clear now, for the other part i was trying to sketch the graph of y=30000-20000e^0.2In0.9t and saw this bullet point from the text book saying that remmeber that0.2In0.9t is negative , can you please touch on that a little bit so i underestand what the text book meant by that thanks image.jpg

Are you meant to sketch the graph in some interval? Because that's quite wrong. 0.2ln(0.9×2)0.1>00.2 \ln (0.9 \times 2) \approx 0.1 > 0 for example.
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
Are you meant to sketch the graph in some interval? Because that's quite wrong. 0.2ln(0.9×2)0.1>00.2 \ln (0.9 \times 2) \approx 0.1 > 0 for example.

Well actually it's part c of the question in the attachment , i've managed to do the rest of it but kind of confused by the given hint by text book on part c. I can send you all answers as attachemnets if you want so you dont go through all of them image.jpg
Reply 12
Original post by Alen.m
Well actually it's part c of the question in the attachment , i've managed to do the rest of it but kind of confused by the given hint by text book on part c. I can send you all answers as attachemnets if you want so you dont go through all of them image.jpg

I think the textbook is wrong, tbh. But really, all you need to know is that

e^{\blah}

is always positive, so you're always doing 30000something positive that gets smaller and smaller30 000 - \text{something positive that gets smaller and smaller} so the graph nears the line y=30,000y =30,000 as tt increases.
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
I think the textbook is wrong, tbh. But really, all you need to know is that

e^{\blah}

is always positive, so you're always doing 30000something positive that gets smaller and smaller30 000 - \text{something positive that gets smaller and smaller} so the graph nears the line y=30,000y =30,000 as tt increases.

It's been couple of times that its answer makes me confus and lost tbh but as you said all i need to do is to find the 10000 value on c graph first and the line nears 30000 as t increases
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Alen.m
It's been couple of times that its answer makes me confus and lost tbh but as you said all i need to is to find the 10000 value on c graph first and the line nears 30000 as t increases

Yep, pretty much.
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Yep, pretty much.

Actually the graph suggests that c gets bigger and bigger as it approaches 30000 and as t increases isn't?
Reply 16
Original post by Alen.m
Actually the graph suggests that c gets bigger and bigger as it approaches 30000 and as t increases isn't?

Ah, fuark! Ignore me. I thought the equation was ln(0.9t)\ln (0.9 t) instead of tln(0.9)t\ln (0.9) , So what we have is e0.02te^{-0.02t} approximately, so as t gets bigger, e0.02te^{-0.02t} gets smaller and smaller, so the graph approaches 3000030 000. My apologies.
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
Ah, fuark! Ignore me. I thought the equation was ln(0.9t)\ln (0.9 t) instead of tln(0.9)t\ln (0.9) , So what we have is e0.02te^{-0.02t} approximately, so as t gets bigger, e0.02te^{-0.02t} gets smaller and smaller, so the graph approaches 3000030 000. My apologies.

But c on the graph is increasing as the graph suggests isn't? Is it because it's been muliplied by 20000?
Reply 18
Original post by Alen.m
But c on the graph is increasing as the graph suggests isn't? Is it because it's been muliplied by 20000?

It's because you're doing 30,000 - something that gets smaller and smaller. So as you start out, it's quite big and 30,000 - big number = small number. But then as t gets bigger, e^(-0.02t) gets smaller so you do 30,000 - smaller number = bigger number. And hence the graph is increasing. But then, at a certain point, when t gets really big e^(-0.02t) is almost 0 so 30,000 - almost 0 is almost 30,000, etc...? You get me?
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
It's because you're doing 30,000 - something that gets smaller and smaller. So as you start out, it's quite big and 30,000 - big number = small number. But then as t gets bigger, e^(-0.02t) gets smaller so you do 30,000 - smaller number = bigger number. And hence the graph is increasing. But then, at a certain point, when t gets really big e^(-0.02t) is almost 0 so 30,000 - almost 0 is almost 30,000, etc...? You get me?

So basically it's a graph of y=30000-20000e^0.2tIn(0.9)? The reason im asking is because the text book stated it's a graph of e^0.2In(0.9t) which should definetely be different
Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest