The Student Room Group

How do you answer " describe the relationship between ... " questions?

Hello. I have just had a go at a describe the relationship between George and Lennie question, and I have no idea how to word it.

I have managed to write a single paragraph which states that the relationship between George and Lennie is like father-son, added a relevent quote, explained it and then linked it, however, now I am stuck as I do not know what else to do.

My teacher said that we should get 3 ideas down and then convert them into 3 paragraphs, but my problem is that I will end up going off topic and/or use the same or very similiar point, as my next idea is tthat Lennie has animal instincts which need to be controlled by George, but I do not exactly know what kind of point to use for this, as the closest one would be a father-son like relationship, and stating this again would not gain me any marks.
Original post by LPLunaticFringe
Hello. I have just had a go at a describe the relationship between George and Lennie question, and I have no idea how to word it.

I have managed to write a single paragraph which states that the relationship between George and Lennie is like father-son, added a relevent quote, explained it and then linked it, however, now I am stuck as I do not know what else to do.

My teacher said that we should get 3 ideas down and then convert them into 3 paragraphs, but my problem is that I will end up going off topic and/or use the same or very similiar point, as my next idea is tthat Lennie has animal instincts which need to be controlled by George, but I do not exactly know what kind of point to use for this, as the closest one would be a father-son like relationship, and stating this again would not gain me any marks.

You don't need to describe the relationship in terms of relating it to a specific type of relationship. You can talk about how the relationship revolves around George controlling and 'taming' Lennie's animal instincts as a perfectly fine separate point :smile: You could also try writing a point about their relationship as George being a realistic counter Lennie's dreamer qualities :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
You don't need to describe the relationship in terms of relating it to a specific type of relationship. You can talk about how the relationship revolves around George controlling and 'taming' Lennie's animal instincts as a perfectly fine separate point :smile: You could also try writing a point about their relationship as George being a realistic counter Lennie's dreamer qualities :smile:

So as an example point, what exactly would you state ?
So as an example point, what exactly would you state ?

I can't write the paragraph for you :nah: I'd pretty much write the point as you wrote it when you were explaining it
Original post by Gingerbread101
I can't write the paragraph for you :nah: I'd pretty much write the point as you wrote it when you were explaining it

No, no :biggrin: I dont want the whole paragraph, what I mean is just the point, for example, my first point states :
"Steinbeck presents the relationship between George and Lennie as father-son like "
My problem is that I do not really want to repeat myself with the point, and also not go off topic with the question, so for instance, my second paragraph would be about Lennie having " animal instincts " and George needing to supply him with the " human instincts " , what kind of Point would I state in order to stay on the topic of relationships ? Or do I not need to?
No, no :biggrin: I dont want the whole paragraph, what I mean is just the point, for example, my first point states :
"Steinbeck presents the relationship between George and Lennie as father-son like "
My problem is that I do not really want to repeat myself with the point, and also not go off topic with the question, so for instance, my second paragraph would be about Lennie having " animal instincts " and George needing to supply him with the " human instincts " , what kind of Point would I state in order to stay on the topic of relationships ? Or do I not need to?

You don't need to explicitly state a 'point' in such a rigid way, as long as you get across your point in your paragraph :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending