The Student Room Group

My throat feels like it's one of those cat scratching posts

Any tips for soothing a throat that's been sore for 5 days? I have the flu so I know that it's not a bacterial infection, which means I just have to wait it out the best I can but it literally feels like nothing is capable of lubricating it. The pain is driving me up the wall and has led me to abandon my hobbies of snacking and singing. Paracetamol takes the pain down for a couple of hours but then it comes back and I want to cry.

Scroll to see replies

Hot drinks are nice.. Healthy too! Green tea with mint is lovely
Hiya, have you tried slowly swallowing a tablespoon of honey? It should ease the pain at least slightly and helps to stop you coughing (if you are). I hope you feel better soon :hugs:
Original post by Student403
Hot drinks are nice.. Healthy too! Green tea with mint is lovely

I've been drinking green tea but I haven't tried it with mint. It would probably taste better with mint right now because even though I drink green tea all the time at the moment it tastes really plain because my taste is all messed up.

Original post by Leviathan1741
Hiya, have you tried slowly swallowing a tablespoon of honey? It should ease the pain at least slightly and helps to stop you coughing (if you are). I hope you feel better soon :hugs:

I just tried this and it did soothe it and then it started stinging, but I imagine the stinging is it doing some good. I am coughing, unfortunately, which is just making my throat hurt more. Thanks for the suggestion!
Original post by mscaffrey
I've been drinking green tea but I haven't tried it with mint. It would probably taste better with mint right now because even though I drink green tea all the time at the moment it tastes really plain because my taste is all messed up.

I just tried this and it did soothe it and then it started stinging, but I imagine the stinging is it doing some good. I am coughing, unfortunately, which is just making my throat hurt more. Thanks for the suggestion!

I can't handle green tea which isn't sweet :afraid: But eating sugar makes me feel bad so.. Mint is my best friend :yep:
Reply 5
I don't know if this will help but I used to get tonsillitis a lot - my GP told me to suck ice cubes and the cold water kinda numbs the pain a bit. Like just put it in your mouth and let the cold water drip down your throat.
Any tips for soothing a throat that's been sore for 5 days? I have the flu so I know that it's not a bacterial infection, which means I just have to wait it out the best I can but it literally feels like nothing is capable of lubricating it. The pain is driving me up the wall and has led me to abandon my hobbies of snacking and singing. Paracetamol takes the pain down for a couple of hours but then it comes back and I want to cry.

maybe try to Gargle salt water to get rid of bacteria (don't drink it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honey and lemon tea works well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same. I've been dying here. I'm just taking fluids. I'm dying less now
Reply 9

Make lemon tea with honey. Even better, put a desert spoon of lemon juice in a mug with a teaspoon of honey and top it up with hot water. Honey's a natural antiseptic so it does help.

Suck throat sweets. They really help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One wonders OP, did you also get a random shivering fit yet you yourself felt really freaking hot, and then really freaking cold?
Original post by The_Internet
One wonders OP, did you also get a random shivering fit yet you yourself felt really freaking hot, and then really freaking cold?

I haven't had that but my sister came down with the flu at the exact same time as I did (we've identified the source as a guy who was coughing on the bus last week) and she's had the hot/cold thing. This is the worst we've both felt in forever so if you're getting over the same thing you have my sympathy.
I haven't had that but my sister came down with the flu at the exact same time as I did (we've identified the source as a guy who was coughing on the bus last week) and she's had the hot/cold thing. This is the worst we've both felt in forever so if you're getting over the same thing you have my sympathy.

Ah at least its not only me.there's a guy at work who also felt ill.there was a guy behind me who was coughing. Me and the guy in front of him both got I'll. Coincidence. I think not

BTW , I'm dying a little less now from the fluids. Same symptoms as you - well your sister

Still have a mega sore throat. At any rate, I find that pot noodle helped a little the other day. It doesn't stop the cough, but it makes it more "wet" and bearable
BTW , I'm dying a little less now from the fluids. Same symptoms as you - well your sister

Still have a mega sore throat. At any rate, I find that pot noodle helped a little the other day. It doesn't stop the cough, but it makes it more "wet" and bearable

My throat feels like it will never be normal again. It's seriously driving me crazy. I'm just doing an online grocery shop because there's no way I can go out so I might get some pot noodles on that. Thanks for the tip! Next time someone coughs around me I'm handing them a face mask.
I would reccomend a mixture of hot water, lemon juice, one drop of tobasco sauce and some honey. sounds gross, but it works!
My throat feels like it will never be normal again. It's seriously driving me crazy. I'm just doing an online grocery shop because there's no way I can go out so I might get some pot noodles on that. Thanks for the tip! Next time someone coughs around me I'm handing them a face mask.

Nah it wil do. It'll just take time. LIke I said I'm dying a little less than yesterday

More specifically I got the Bombay bad boy one. Has a slight spiciness to it too. Maybe that's what helps? And the salt/hot water?

I made it outside in the end but hey I basically live opposite a mini supermarket
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Egirl127
I would reccomend a mixture of hot water, lemon juice, one drop of tobasco sauce and some honey. sounds gross, but it works!

Tobasco?! :eek3: That sounds scary, but I'll bear it in mind.

Nah it wil do. It'll just take time. LIke I said I'm dying a little less than yesterday

More specifically I got the Bombay bad boy one. Has a slight spiciness to it too. Maybe that's what helps? And the salt/hot water?

I made it outside in the end but hey I basically live opposite a mini supermarket

I've never tried the Bombay bad boy. I really like the Brazillian BBQ Steak but that one's super hot and I don't know whether my throat would appreciate that level of heat. I think it is probably the salt.

I could do with living opposite a mini supermarket. The nearest one is a 30 minute walk away.
maybe you ate too much pussy
Tobasco?! :eek3: That sounds scary, but I'll bear it in mind.

Oh, i don't mean anything super hot. Just something mild, i guess chilli powder would work to! Good luck anyhow! Let me know how you feel in a bit, and what worked best!! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest