The Student Room Group

Black africa-american man chocked to death - his daughter speaks out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somesomebody
lol sure it is Mr. Whites In Africa Call Themselves African But I Can't Prove It So I'll Just Keep Obtusely Listing Places In Africa WITH White People But Pretend That It Suffices As Proof And Then Have The Cheek To Keep Quoting Someone Else Like I Legitimately Explained Myself

:rolleyes:

Really the purden of proof is upon the one makes the original claim which is you, so prove that they don't.

I only said one place, that isn't a list.
Lol you literally just denied that Egyptians for example deny being called African when I have argued with YOU this entire time that they in fact specifically refer to themselves as not African but as their country :colonhash:

I'm not going to bother with that as you're ignoring the facts put forward to you (either by myself or someone else).

And I proved it and you know I did :rofl:

As Diddydec said, your point is moot so think what you will.
People like to play dumb when they get to typing on their keyboards, hiding behind their PC monitor lol

They know you won't be able to see the embarrassment in their eyes and on their blushing cheeks that they've been blatantly proven wrong, but it's ok.

Stay ignorant and deny the truth even when it's been clearly presented to you :h:

I've had enough of this conversation with the two obtuse Stooges but before I go:

A: The title is incorrect: You can not be African American and not be black, also African American and South, East, North, West African are NOT the same obviously

B: Non black Africans do not generally refer to themselves as African in social situations. They refer to themselves primarily as their country.

I'll just leave this here, good day kids.
People like to play dumb when they get to typing on their keyboards, hiding behind their PC monitor lol

I'm using a phone...

Posted from TSR Mobile

They know you won't be able to see the embarrassment in their eyes and on their blushing cheeks that they've been blatantly proven wrong, but it's ok.

Stay ignorant and deny the truth even when it's been clearly presented to you :h:

I've had enough of this conversation with the two obtuse Stooges but before I go:

A: The title is incorrect: You can not be African American and not be black, also African American and South, East, North, West African are NOT the same obviously

B: Non black Africans do not generally refer to themselves as African in social situations. They refer to themselves primarily as their country.

I'll just leave this here, good day kids.

I'm South African and I know white people who call themselves African.

Tempted to report for racism

Ps: Darnell from Big Brother was African American but was white as he is albino
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
lmao go on and explain this ridiculous sentence.
How on earth can you be a white African American?

African American strictly refers to the

classification for

black Americans who have slave descent

It was a term decided upon nationally because

blacks did not like being called

"coloured" people

Please crack a book open
and then tell me how this relates to a

white person from Europe or being an immigrant in Africa :colonhash:

was simply stating it's dumb to say "black" African American because an African American is black?

Unless of course your from South Africa where there is a decent sized white community and moved to America, would they be White African Americans, or would they be African Americans, or just Americans.

Now I know the reason they are called African American is because people think it's bad to call black people black, but personally I just think it's dumb in the first place, just call someone black it's not an insult these days.
I already discussed this in my latest response, please revert to it.

But if you're too lazy to scroll up two millimeters, I will repeat this once:
non-Sub-Saharan Africans do not want to be confused for such. So they will quite specifically mention their country over just basically saying, I'm African.

But it seems you just want to randomly name African countries like that proves a point lol

In social situations none of the countries you mentioned say they are "African." They don't want to be affiliated with the stereotypes.

What stereotypes? You're saying it as though it would be horrible to be confused for a sub Saharan African and being one has very negative connotations.
The majority of African migrants causing trouble in Europe are North African. If anything we're the ones that shouldn't want to be associated with them.

Anyway the point is being African is a nationality (for lack of a better word) if you're a citizen of a country on the continent you are African. It doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
I'm South African and I know white people who call themselves African.

Tempted to report for racism

Ps: Darnell from Big Brother was African American but was white as he is albino

lmao at albino=white
Where is the racism? Just where.

I also have no clue who you are and if you really are South African? But obviously in Africa they might claim they're African...considering...they're in Africa...
I've been saying this the whole time that
outside of Africa
a white South African will generally (not always...:colonhash: but generally) consider themselves to be...

white.

Not African :colonhash:

Why? Because unfortunately people are ignorant and will laugh and mock and ridicule someone for not being black saying they're from Africa, saying they're African. Also...they're white? And there is no checkbox for "South African" on let's say US census/demographic survey documents or [m]any formal applications. It could be the US's way of grouping everyone together racially, and not ethnically nor nationally.
Original post by TheNote
was simply stating it's dumb to say "black" African American because an African American is black?

Was that what you were saying?

That's literally what I've been saying the whole time! :ahee:
Original post by TheNote

Unless of course your from South Africa where there is a decent sized white community and moved to America, would they be White African Americans, or would they be African Americans, or just Americans.

Now I know the reason they are called African American is because people think it's bad to call black people black, but personally I just think it's dumb in the first place, just call someone black it's not an insult these days.

No. There is no
such
thing
as
"white African American" :rofl:

Not on any US document nor is there any "group" fighting for the representation of this classification :lolwut:

They would simply check...white?

I also totally

totally agree with the last part in your post!

However African American is now an ethnicity.
Unfortunately! people see it as a race of its own, obviously, because black Americans from the Caribbean, Latin America, and non-US-slave African immigrants

don't like that African American term at all, strangely...
Original post by StrawbAri
What stereotypes? You're saying it as though it would be horrible to be confused for a sub Saharan African and being one has very negative connotations.

No. Just because you say that's how I'm saying it
it doesn't mean I am/
Remember I am a stranger to you. You don't know who I am and implying I'm being racist...is weird. I could very well be black...:colonhash:

And whether I'm black or not though is irrelevant, just pointing out you're jumping to strange conclusions here

and clearly misconstruing my point
I mean, read my other comments and then you'll see what I mean, and you wouldn't have to ask me what I meant.

I never said, I don't want African stereotypes...did I?
I said that very well could be the reason why people who deny being African...would deny being African.

Hence, the Arab League including African countries while excluding other African countries...? Hence "Sub Saharan" being made a classification..alluding to dark or black people? Hence the Arabs also being at war with black Africans? It's everywhere. In the news and if you look around in society I mean...:indiff:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
No. There is no
such
thing
as
"white African American" :rofl:

Not on any US document nor is there any "group" fighting for the representation of this classification :lolwut:

They would simply check...white?

I also totally

totally agree with the last part in your post!

However African American is now an ethnicity.
Unfortunately! people see it as a race of its own, obviously, because black Americans from the Caribbean, Latin America, and non-US-slave African immigrants

don't like that African American term at all, strangely...

I am pointing out how stupid it is to put Black, before African American and then you go "hahaha look how stupid you are putting white before african american, african americans are black....." are you dumb?
Original post by TheNote
I am pointing out how stupid it is to put Black, before African American and then you go "hahaha look how stupid you are putting white before african american, african americans are black....." are you dumb?

No.

You said

"
(Original post by TheNote)
was simply stating it's dumb to say "black" African American because an African American is black?"

articulate what you mean because it seems you're sarcastically asking there "why specify an African American is black when it's obvious they are black."

If that's not what you mean oh well, it's what I mean.

However it's no need to resort to juvenile insults like "dumb." I never used words like that, relax though because I could easily but who has time to fight online with namecalling lol I never said you were dumb

I simply laughed because there's no such thing as "white African American." And you know that! :colonhash:
Reply 53
Yes i do know that.... but you seemed all high and mighty about "proving" me wrong, maybe you need a lesson in reading comprehension or something.

You can't take the piss out of someone for the same thing they are taking the piss out of something for....

either that or your way of presenting your joke is poorly presented and poorly thought out
lol sure it is Mr. Whites In Africa Call Themselves African But I Can't Prove It So I'll Just Keep Obtusely Listing Places In Africa WITH White People But Pretend That It Suffices As Proof And Then Have The Cheek To Keep Quoting Someone Else Like I Legitimately Explained Myself

:rolleyes:

I think it's probably fair to assume that people from Africa label themselves as African. What else would they label themselves?
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah yes that's what I was going to say:

only when it benefits thm do they consider themselves African

I never said, in international football league situations :colonhash:

I keep saying

in social situations people! As in, friend to friend, neighbour to neighbour, teacher to student, family to family...do you call yourself African generally in these situations? I bet you specify you're Egyptian. As you just did here lol

you couldve just said I'm African. But no you first two sentences went into specifics about being Egyptian (which you may or may not be!) and being "olive skinned" so we won't think you're a dark African!
My point proven!

****@DiddyDec @Aceadria

I said I am olive skinned to indicate that while I am not black I consider myself African. Again, I wouldn't put down "African" in the race section of a form because it's usually used to refer to black people, but I would like that to change. I wouldn't want to see "African" in the race section because there is no ethnological "African" group, Africa is diverse. That's like calling all brown people Asians; there are obviously Asians who are not brown and browns who are not asian.
Ah yes that's what I was going to say:

only when it benefits thm do they consider themselves African

I never said, in international football league situations :colonhash:

I keep saying

in social situations people! As in, friend to friend, neighbour to neighbour, teacher to student, family to family...do you call yourself African generally in these situations? I bet you specify you're Egyptian. As you just did here lol

you couldve just said I'm African. But no you first two sentences went into specifics about being Egyptian (which you may or may not be!) and being "olive skinned" so we won't think you're a dark African!
My point proven!

****@DiddyDec @Aceadria

As to answer your question, I don't say I am African, I say Egyptian. I also believe that no one should answer "African" coz African implies a wide range of people. Also, calling black people Africans implies that they belong in Africa even if they have never been there.
Original post by oShahpo
I said I am olive skinned to indicate that while I am not black I consider myself African. Again, I wouldn't put down "African" in the race section of a form because it's usually used to refer to black people, but I would like that to change. I wouldn't want to see "African" in the race section because there is no ethnological "African" group, Africa is diverse. That's like calling all brown people Asians; there are obviously Asians who are not brown and browns who are not asian.

Original post by oShahpo
As to answer your question, I don't say I am African, I say Egyptian. I also believe that no one should answer "African" coz African implies a wide range of people. Also, calling black people Africans implies that they belong in Africa even if they have never been there.

Right.

My point being, as you proved (the first thing you said was "I am Egyptian" :rofl: when your point would have been just as valid or invalid if you said "I'm African" or...didn't say where you were from...at all:lolwut:), is that non Sub Saharan black Africans
generally (as in a lot of times but not all) refer to themselves primarily (not exclusively) as which African country they're from. And obviously if the person they're talking to has any idea of what a map is, being African would be self explanatory. Also, like I said, there is a huge civil war in Africa between North African and sub Saharan. Mainly because the North has a manmade image of being Arab and Berber and European mixed, and other parts of Africa do not have this.
Original post by StrangeBanana
I think it's probably fair to assume that people from Africa label themselves as African. What else would they label themselves?

It's "fair" but inaccurate

And yes I agree if they're African call yourself African. Obviously my posts are critiquing that whites and Arabs...prefer not to?

:colonhash:

Original post by TheNote
Yes i do know that.... but you seemed all high and mighty about "proving" me wrong, maybe you need a lesson in reading comprehension or something.

You can't take the piss out of someone for the same thing they are taking the piss out of something for....

either that or your way of presenting your joke is poorly presented and poorly thought out

nice scared outside quote mate
Right.

My point being, as you proved (the first thing you said was "I am Egyptian" :rofl: when your point would have been just as valid or invalid if you said "I'm African" or...didn't say where you were from...at all:lolwut:), is that non Sub Saharan black Africans generally (as in a lot of times but not all) refer to themselves primarily (not exclusively) as which African country they're from. And obviously if the person they're talking to has any idea of what a map is, being African would be self explanatory. Also, like I said, there is a huge civil war in Africa between North African and sub Saharan. Mainly because the North has a manmade image of being Arab and Berber and European mixed, and other parts of Africa do not have this.

A lot of what you said is incorrect. First of all, were I born in Angola, I wouldn't not refer to myself as African, rather Angolan. The point you're making is that somehow North Africans are uncomfortable being called Africans due to unwillingness to being associated with sub-saharran Africans, this is untrue. There was a poll a long time ago where Egyptians were asked if they were African or Arab, many people identified as African rather than Arab, as I would personally do. I referred to myself as Egyptian to explain my following statements which would have not made any sense if I were born in the Ivory Coast for example.
To sum up my point; Egyptians generally have no more of a problem being called Africans than a Hungarian being called European. As for other North African nations, I would think it differs specially with Berbers from Algeria and Morrocco as they tend to have a separate identity.

Now I don't know exactly which wars you're talking about. Egypt has some problems with Ethiopia over water supplies but that's about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending