The Student Room Group

Best A levels for a maths degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by RonnieRJ
Really? I know a lot of people doing all three :|

Are you fortunate enough to be at an independent school or a decent grammar somewhere? There are very few schools with the resources to teach to that level, so a lot comes down to the student's willingness to self-study. Arguably it's easier to do that with maths than with most other subjects, but I still think for a top uni you're going to get more benefit from stretching yourself with more difficult material rather than just extra modules.

Anyway, it will be academic (no pun intended) soon as AFM will cease to exist in the new scheme of things :smile:

And I do agree with you about weird rules - schools just seem to make up rules about numbers of A levels for the sake of it, or some perverse belief that students will only get offers if they're taking on ridiculous workloads.
Original post by davros
Are you fortunate enough to be at an independent school or a decent grammar somewhere? There are very few schools with the resources to teach to that level, so a lot comes down to the student's willingness to self-study. Arguably it's easier to do that with maths than with most other subjects, but I still think for a top uni you're going to get more benefit from stretching yourself with more difficult material rather than just extra modules.

Anyway, it will be academic (no pun intended) soon as AFM will cease to exist in the new scheme of things :smile:

And I do agree with you about weird rules - schools just seem to make up rules about numbers of A levels for the sake of it, or some perverse belief that students will only get offers if they're taking on ridiculous workloads.

Nope not at all haha, I just know people who really like maths and self teach. The easier units don't take long to run through :smile:

Yup exactly, or the addition of GS or critical thinking
Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams

Nah im taking it in 2018 and its still modular. Its becoming linear after that.
Original post by Matt_Barber00
My school have asked us to choose our A level options for the sixth form. I would like to study maths at university after I leave school and would really like to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I have already decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Spanish but I can choose one more and I can't decide between French and Chemistry. Does it really matter what I pick? I think Chemistry might be slightly easier but I also know that choosing French would probably make me stand out more. I got A*s in my mocks so that didn't help much. Do you have any advice?

Essential: Maths, Further Maths
Useful: Physics

Anything else will probably not affect your application too much with regards to Maths at Oxbridge, so I'd say pick what you enjoy and not what you think would be impressive because they'll only care about whether you are good at maths
Maths, FM, Chem, Phys (Chem=Economics) probably strongest 4
Reply 45
Your choices sound fine, it doesn't matter for the last one whether you do chemistry or French just do the one you most enjoy and the one you think you'll do best at. Wow you're really bright. What do you want to be once you've finished uni? Btw I studied Maths at uni it's great.
Original post by davros
but I still think for a top uni you're going to get more benefit from stretching yourself with more difficult material rather than just extra modules.

Do you have any recommendations on specific material?
Reply 47
They make you do 5 because SOME universities OFTEN see students who do maths and further maths as taking one alevels, hence in their eyes you kinda only do 3 AS levels as maths and further maths are seen as one.
There is definitely no need to do it but teachers like to stay on the safe side, especially if youre considering oxford/cambridge.
I would probably say chemistry as you've already got a language and honestly chemistry compliments maths quite well.... Shows application of mathematics
But definitely when you get to your mocks next year/January time do drop the subject youre finding tough... It honestly isn't required and there's no need to strain yourself.
Oxford and Cambridge ask for UMS points aswell so it wont be just about the grade but scoring high and well into that grade.
Better off having less subjects with high UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habzi
They make you do 5 because SOME universities OFTEN see students who do maths and further maths as taking one alevels, hence in their eyes you kinda only do 3 AS levels as maths and further maths are seen as one.
There is definitely no need to do it but teachers like to stay on the safe side, especially if youre considering oxford/cambridge.
I would probably say chemistry as you've already got a language and honestly chemistry compliments maths quite well.... Shows application of mathematics
But definitely when you get to your mocks next year/January time do drop the subject youre finding tough... It honestly isn't required and there's no need to strain yourself.
Oxford and Cambridge ask for UMS points aswell so it wont be just about the grade but scoring high and well into that grade.
Better off having less subjects with high UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even then, 4 is still the "equivalent" of 3 which constitutes nearly every university offer. 5 is overkill unless you're interested imo, and forcing people to sit 5 is akin to encouraging them to hate studying :s-smilie:

I agree, less subjects with greater UMS is essential. The OP will also have more time to try their hand at BMO and some STEP too :biggrin:
Original post by theconfusedman
Nah im taking it in 2018 and its still modular. Its becoming linear after that.

image.png
Attachment not found

Ding dong you're doing linear :wink:

AQA, OCR and Edexcel are all doing it in 2017 along with the other exam boards
image.png
Attachment not found

AQA, OCR and Edexcel are all doing it in 2017 along with the other exam boards

im first doing it in september 2016 this year, not september 2017. I think i know how the a levels are going to do will work lol
Reply 51

Yeah, that was a bit of a fail on your part...
Reply 52
Original post by Euclidean
Do you have any recommendations on specific material?

As I suggested earlier, something like a few AEA questions or STEP I would be a good starting point :smile:
Original post by theconfusedman
im first doing it in september 2016 this year, not september 2017. I think i know how the a levels are going to do will work lol

Original post by Zacken

He said he's doing it in 2018 that's why.

I was correct in saying the new maths a levels starts in September 2017, don't see how I'm wrong

If anything Hun you said the wrong dates in the first place, if you're starting in 2016 then why are you correcting me when I'm quoting 2017 dates?
Reply 54

I was correct in saying the new maths a levels starts in September 2017,

You weren't correct in saying "ding dong you're doing it linear".
Original post by Zacken
You weren't correct in saying "ding dong you're doing it linear".

Because he said "I'm doing it in 2018"

If he was starting his maths A level in 2018 he would be doing linear

He should've just said I'm finishing my a level in 2018 while it's still modular... Which still makes me correct as he would start in 2016 before the linear a level comes in 2017.

Don't see why he quoted me in the first place when I said the new A level is released in 2017, nothing to do with him?
Reply 56

nothing to do with him?

You quoted him.
Original post by Zacken
You quoted him.

I hope you realise he quoted me in the first place trying to correct me while I was referring to year 13s starting in sept 2018 fckn hell 🙄🙄
Because he said "I'm doing it in 2018"

If he was starting his maths A level in 2018 he would be doing linear

He should've just said I'm finishing my a level in 2018 while it's still modular... Which still makes me correct as he would start in 2016 before the linear a level comes in 2017.

Don't see why he quoted me in the first place when I said the new A level is released in 2017, nothing to do with him?

I hope you realise he quoted me in the first place trying to correct me while I was referring to year 13s starting in sept 2018 fckn hell 🙄🙄

OK now you're just contradicting yourself. I didnt say anything about the new a levels released in 2017, I was talking about the A levels starting in sept 2016.

'Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams' - This is what you said, which is wrong because when im in year 13 (in 2018), i will be doing the modular test. I cant see how I can make that any clearer. I wasnt there just to quote you, but to make sure others dont get confused too.

No need for you to start a petty argument, you've embarrassed yourself enough already.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Lool yup

Quick Reply

Latest