The Student Room Group

Lemur's GYG Thread

Scroll to see replies

On Tuesday, I completed my biology homework, half my history homework and tidied a load of my room (still not done though:angry: but will probably leave it until my homework is done).
Today I am planning on doing my business, English and electronics homework. We've had an email from our maths teacher saying he doesn't mind if we leave the homework til after half term so I'll do that last.
I found my business sheet :smile: It was hiding within all my piles of planning for my maths coursework which is in my planner (which still needs sorting out - in fact I might do that now to get it done)
Today I have done:

business homework

electronics homework (and found the pp which the teacher was using in the lesson to improve it)

More planning for my stats CW

Found out the teacher wants us to hand write the practice exam question for English (great)

Made jelly

Eaten lots of cake (that I made with my friend yesterday)

Tomorrow I would like to:

Complete English homework

Type up proposal for stats CW

Finish history homework (which I completely forgot wasn't finished)

Start programming next computing task

Some revision (perhaps stats/history/English???? or maybe science/RE (both unlikely tbh))

Maybe watch Grease if time? Prepare audition if I can find the sheet.

(edited 8 years ago)
I posted what I wanted to do today and came back to update and it's gone :/
Will rewrite as it was only short

Today I want to:

Write English conclusion (done now :smile:)

Write up maths proposal

Start computing programming

Some revision/prepare for audition - probably a good idea considering it is next week

Today is an inset day so I want to:

Complete maths proposal

Start computing programming (I've done the plan)

Revision notes (stats perhaps)

Audition practice (2 days to go!)

Today I managed to:

Complete stats CW (finally) and send to the teacher for feedback

Practice audition (not good- need to practice again tomorrow)

Sort out planner (and with it part of the desk as all the sheets had been making a mess)

Sort out everything (hopefully) for tomorrow

Today I had double history, double business and maths.
•In history we did a 10 mark question (oh fun) and a source question.
•In business we did trade unions and got told we have a test next week and on the 22nd March
•In maths we had lots of questions about the coursework and the mock and then went on to line equations (oh fun - this was the topic we did with the weird foreign NQT last year where he was literally reading slowly out of the textbook. It would have been quicker to do it ourselves)
We had jabs today (which I completely forgot about until I went to school this morning) and now both arms are killing me if I don't keep the upper part still which is making things difficult this evening. Gonna try and get some computing and audition stuff done though
To do:
•Maths homework (should only be quick but haven't been giving a due date and I'm in too much pain to go downstairs to get my maths book)
•Computing programming
•Revision notes for various subjects
•Business revision
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm off on a trip tonight and I'm about to go so no time for any update other than I got 97% in my ECDL exam (worth 25%), 78% in my physics test (class average 67%- top mark 90%) and I have a chemistry test on Monday. I'll try to update properly tomorrow.
Had no time for update yesterday so will update now instead.
Since Tuesday:
•We started the next task in computing. Wasn't expecting that seeing as we were told the first 2 weeks of this half term were for editing. We will being doing some editing on Monday though.
•Chemistry revision lesson. I've just finished my book so I'm quite happy that we've also finished the topic.
•Maths- the homework was due in then but we were supposed to get it wrong so it didn't matter
•PE- we did cheerleading (mostly watch the top set's routines then trying out some hand movements so nothing too hard)

•Biology- head of science came in to watch. Stupid thing was the lesson was almost entirely the chemistry which we had been revising the day before lol so now the head of science knows that we have a good chemistry teacher(no surprise there seeing as we have the head of chemistry)
•ECDL- we had the exam- because of the new rules we couldn't just get on with other things afterwards and had to sit in silence with the screens off for half an hour (some these new rules are a bit stupid)
•English- finishing off unseen poetry
•Physics- learning about rewiring a plug and 3 core cable. It took forever to so the rewiring because there were 1 set of wire cutters/stripers between 3 people and they weren't the electric stripers so they take a lot of strength which I don't have to work
•Business- learnt about pay slips. Involved a fair bit of maths :smile:

•Maths- wrote up the coursework. I was writing the entire time and still didn't quite finish but because we hadn't had the full hour we got to come back at break and finish it.
•English- introduction to the poetry anthology. We learnt about the paper and now instead of doing Macbeth next term we're going eng lang and then the play in September and Macbeth after Christmas in year 11.•Break- finished maths :smile: My hand felt like it was going to drop off after so much writing that morning
•PE- cheerleading again. We made a routine in our groups which was quite fun
•PSHE- mock election - very boring and a complete waste of time as we did it in citizenship last year
•History- with a supply teacher as our teacher was on a course. We got basically nothing done but thankfully it was revision so we had already done it (though I was surprised how much I had forgotten!)

To do:
•Biology homework - 2x sheets :frown:
•Physics homework- shouldn't take long
•Maths data collection
•English homework (if it gets emailed to us)
•Chemistry revision
•Business revision
•Computing programming
•Science notes
•Business notes
•History section 2 notes

Long to do list and out all weekend. That's Monday and Tuesday evening sorted.
This week so far:

Computing for the first lesson we had a supply teacher who said we had to work on our controlled assessment but didn't specify which one lol so most people did the second one but I did the edits the teacher asked us to put in the first one.

For the second lesson our other teacher came in and said do the first one but I'd already done it so I just worked on the second one lol

In ECDL we had a supply teacher (because the same teacher as p1 was still off) and we did the first lesson of the new topic (which reminds me I need to update the topic list). It was really easy and exactly like the first topic we did in year 9.

In chemistry we did the test. It was really difficult but it was mostly because we hadn't been told to look up what the chemical formulas for (eg) nitric acid was so we didn't know and had to guess. We should be marking them on Thursday.

In PE we did basketball. Next lesson we are doing a 'learn about year 11 PE options' lesson which is good because the form is due in soon.

In history this morning we learnt about McCarthyism. We also got told we have a section 2 and 3 mock on the 12th April.

In business we had an hour to revise then did the test. The test wasn't that difficult but there was very little time compared to what there will be in the exam so the last 6 mark question had to be rushed.

In English we did introductions to essays about smoking. It was quite boring but it could have been a lot worse.

I'm very jealous of the sixth formers who got to meet one of last years apprentice candidates this afternoon. We walked past them in the corridor. I think as business student we should have got to meet them as well but I might be a bit bias :biggrin: (why is there no jealousy smiley???)

To do:
•Maths data collection
•English homework (got emailed to us Sunday night :frown:)
•History revision(mock-12th April)
•Business revision(mock- 22nd March)
•Computing programming
•Science notes
•Business notes
•History section 2 notes
Since Tuesday:

Electronics we did year 12 system and control work because our teacher was on paternity leave. He should be back on Monday for our next lesson though.

English we started the poem anthology

Physics we did a practical about fuses and fuse wires

Maths we did a lesson about what goes into a report so we can do our write ups. We also got our marks back for section 1 which we did on Friday (so you can mark when you want to- looks at mocks sitting in corner of classroom). I got 9/10 :smile:

Maths we had a great lesson. Because it was world book day our teacher was dressed up as the mad hatter! (and the whole maths department was part of Alice in Wonderland). We were meant to be doing reading for 20 minutes but we did research for our controlled assessment instead and at one point he came in and asked us if we had any questions (we were all in different rooms so we could have computers) and someone asked if they could take his picture. He said yes and stood on the table (like he always does) where upon it collapsed! We all silently died (as we had to be pretending to read) and then we took his picture with the broken table and split tea lol.

Physics was boring textbook work. We don't normally do that though so it could have been worse *cough cough biology cough*

Chemistry we mark our tests and I got 74% which wasn't too bad but it could have been much better if I'd know the formulas for all the compounds that we hadn't learn but apparently loads of people either knew or guessed correctly.

RE was revision. We've finished the course and haven't got our mocks back because the head of department has called for another marking scrutiny. On Monday. So we won't get our results for another 2 weeks :frown: (Oh and the school have decided they will ignore the official grade boundaries and use their own invented ones which means everyone will get a grade below what they should)

Business was about communication. We should get our tests back on Tuesday.

To Do:

Finish maths data collection and report. Hand in report and write conclusion 18th March (this will take a very long time!)

English homework- one lot due tomorrow and one lot due next Friday

History revision

Business revision

Computing programming

Science, business, history notes

Original post by Lemur14
Since Tuesday:

Electronics we did year 12 system and control work because our teacher was on paternity leave. He should be back on Monday for our next lesson though.

English we started the poem anthology

Physics we did a practical about fuses and fuse wires

Maths we did a lesson about what goes into a report so we can do our write ups. We also got our marks back for section 1 which we did on Friday (so you can mark when you want to- looks at mocks sitting in corner of classroom). I got 9/10 :smile:

Maths we had a great lesson. Because it was world book day our teacher was dressed up as the mad hatter! (and the whole maths department was part of Alice in Wonderland). We were meant to be doing reading for 20 minutes but we did research for our controlled assessment instead and at one point he came in and asked us if we had any questions (we were all in different rooms so we could have computers) and someone asked if they could take his picture. He said yes and stood on the table (like he always does) where upon it collapsed! We all silently died (as we had to be pretending to read) and then we took his picture with the broken table and split tea lol.

Physics was boring textbook work. We don't normally do that though so it could have been worse *cough cough biology cough*

Chemistry we mark our tests and I got 74% which wasn't too bad but it could have been much better if I'd know the formulas for all the compounds that we hadn't learn but apparently loads of people either knew or guessed correctly.

RE was revision. We've finished the course and haven't got our mocks back because the head of department has called for another marking scrutiny. On Monday. So we won't get our results for another 2 weeks :frown: (Oh and the school have decided they will ignore the official grade boundaries and use their own invented ones which means everyone will get a grade below what they should)

Business was about communication. We should get our tests back on Tuesday.

To Do:

Finish maths data collection and report. Hand in report and write conclusion 18th March (this will take a very long time!)

English homework- one lot due tomorrow and one lot due next Friday

History revision

Business revision

Computing programming

Science, business, history notes

I feel sorry for you in Physics with the text book work. For me a lot has happened under the space of a week. My History teacher is suspiciously absent with illness and the other History class' teacher is taking over our lesson and the teacher covering their class looks permanent because he has an official teacher card. This isn't good news for me as the History teacher taking over my class isn't very nice and she has a weird teaching style which doesn't suit me. The same is also happening to Maths, I have had a supply teacher for well over a month now and I have realised that she too, has an official teacher card which is again bad news to me as she too can't teach us properly and most of the Maths questions we get are from the current Year 11 spec. Speaking of my Maths teacher, I don't know what has happened to him though it's rumored that he has a long term illness.

In other news, I have exams in 2-3 weeks and I'm getting worried about Maths and History especially.
Original post by JTran38
I feel sorry for you in Physics with the text book work. For me a lot has happened under the space of a week. My History teacher is suspiciously absent with illness and the other History class' teacher is taking over our lesson and the teacher covering their class looks permanent because he has an official teacher card. This isn't good news for me as the History teacher taking over my class isn't very nice and she has a weird teaching style which doesn't suit me. The same is also happening to Maths, I have had a supply teacher for well over a month now and I have realised that she too, has an official teacher card which is again bad news to me as she too can't teach us properly and most of the Maths questions we get are from the current Year 11 spec. Speaking of my Maths teacher, I don't know what has happened to him though it's rumored that he has a long term illness.

In other news, I have exams in 2-3 weeks and I'm getting worried about Maths and History especially.

I have no clue how I missed this. The physics wasn't too bad, just a bit boring and it doesn't normally happen so I don't really mind.
It's a bit stupid to have 2 classes with new teachers rather than just giving your class the cover teacher if your history teacher has gone. I'd probably be asking to move to the other class tbh. I suspect it was probably your new teacher saying they didn't want to keep their class for some reason or another (behaviour perhaps) so they just gave the cover teacher their class. Good teachers should teach to different learning styles but this teacher obviously isn't so I'm not sure if there's anything you can actually do.
With maths it's both more serious and less serious. The school should take it more seriously if they don't want their league tables affected so if there's anything the teacher is actually doing wrong report it. It is less serious in some ways though as maths is much easier to teacher yourself than other subjects. Trying to teach history to yourself could be a disaster!
Good luck with your exams! At this isn't this time next year and you're threatening to fail your actual GCSEs.
Original post by Lemur14
I have no clue how I missed this. The physics wasn't too bad, just a bit boring and it doesn't normally happen so I don't really mind.
It's a bit stupid to have 2 classes with new teachers rather than just giving your class the cover teacher if your history teacher has gone. I'd probably be asking to move to the other class tbh. I suspect it was probably your new teacher saying they didn't want to keep their class for some reason or another (behaviour perhaps) so they just gave the cover teacher their class. Good teachers should teach to different learning styles but this teacher obviously isn't so I'm not sure if there's anything you can actually do.
With maths it's both more serious and less serious. The school should take it more seriously if they don't want their league tables affected so if there's anything the teacher is actually doing wrong report it. It is less serious in some ways though as maths is much easier to teacher yourself than other subjects. Trying to teach history to yourself could be a disaster!
Good luck with your exams! At this isn't this time next year and you're threatening to fail your actual GCSEs.

DW about not reading it. As we talk I'm procrastinating a bit but I'll get back to revision shortly. The situation with the new teachers is bothering me a lot and it's really doing my head in, I haven't yet spoken to the Year 10 SLT team at my school about it but I will do so.

The situation is very complicated. My original Maths teacher is probably replaced by the new teacher I have as he allegedly has long term illness and wouldn't be back soon or will never be back. For History, I think my teacher had probably retired and/or got the sack despite the school making excuses about her being ill like for my Maths teacher. Maths isn't too much of a problem as I'm still getting something out of it but it's History which is doing my head in and I don't know what to do.

I do want to move classes somehow but even if I do, I'll still end up with a different new teacher in the other History class who apparently rushes the lesson as well. For Maths, I'll try to see if I can move to another class after my mocks even if I don't do well as I had had enough of this BS.

Long term wise, I can't see myself remaining at my school's sixth form to be honest as I'm not really experiencing the student satisfaction and I believe I'll be better off at another sixth form but that is a decision which will be difficult to make.

In other news, Computing is giving me continuous stress as the A453 CA is literally making me physically and mentally sick. I spent two hours figuring out how to increment the word position by 1 and adding a validation statement by using if/else statements in a for loop and I just couldn't do it. Bad news is I have to make an algorithm for Task 1 and it'd due for Thursday whilst I need to get Task 1 completed by next week Thursday so it can count for my grade this term, as we're not doing a mock exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
This week has been ok so far. We thought our teacher had disappeared again in electronics but he was just having the year 11 photo with his form and it overran.
Friday

Biology we did an experiment which was annoying as it wasn't explained properly (oh what a surprise) so the boys who like messing around decided to take the pipettes and shoot water at people. We also only had 1-2 ice cubes each group to cool the water which meant the water was the wrong temperature (and I think we managed to cross contaminate some of the things we were testing for starch oops). We're going to do it again

Spoiler

English was ok. We did the next poem in the anthology and half the class hadn't done the homework so my only nearly finished one looked good in comparison (I ran out of time to finish it)

PE the options lesson was cancelled yet again! We did basketball instead so it wasn't too bad as we got to choose our own teams.

Maths we did some more data collection (I've finished the data collection now and the calculations and the correlation for my hypothesis is -0.1 which is very annoying after all that time working on it)

History we did more on McCarthyism and it's impact.

Monday

Electronics, once our teacher turned up we got to do nearly double practical (he was in a brilliant mood for some reason as he never lets us do that it's always 15 minutes of theory (and a minimum of 45 minutes later we might start finishing off). My project is now not far off finished :smile: I think we have one more lesson on it so that's good timing.

RE we did more revision. Our teacher's latest revision suggestion is to make fortune tellers so of course we were obliging :smile:

English we did lit rather than lang as planned and compared the first 2 poems in our anthology.

Biology we did textbook work. Or rather, we were supposed to do textbook work but she couldn't find the right page and so it took forever and then we had to rush it. She also set tonnes of homework off the homework timetable again so I came home in a really bad mood which then made my homework not terribly efficient. Thankfully I didn't have much.

Tuesday

History we finished off McCarthyism with his decline and writing a news article from the time. Next lesson we will be moving on to Civil Rights

Business we didn't get our promised test results because the teacher was too busy. Why she promised them when she was too busy is beyond me but oh well. The class who did get their test results did well (mostly A/A*) so we should be ok.

Maths we did something to do with equations in a line and perpendicular lines. I'm not really sure what it was because we were going too fast but I've written everything down and hopefully can make some sense of it at somepoint. He also set 2 pieces of homework (because he has to set 2 pieces a week) on the one day this week that wasn't on the timetable but we didn't tell him seeing as he will probably have forgotten by next week that he has to set it twice a week if we don't moan this week.

To do:

English paragraph (and if time add poetic techniques to leaflet)

Maths sheet and proof

Maths coursework

Business sheet

Business notes and revision

RE revision (supposed to do 1-1.5 hours a week now)

History notes and revision

Stats notes and revision

Science notes

Computing programming

I've noticed these are getting increasingly long. If anyone is actually reading them do you have anything you suggest comes out to make it shorter? Or is it ok at this length?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JTran38
DW about not reading it. As we talk I'm procrastinating a bit but I'll get back to revision shortly. The situation with the new teachers is bothering me a lot and it's really doing my head in, I haven't yet spoken to the Year 10 SLT team at my school about it but I will do so.

The situation is very complicated. My original Maths teacher is probably replaced by the new teacher I have as he allegedly has long term illness and wouldn't be back soon or will never be back. For History, I think my teacher had probably retired and/or got the sack despite the school making excuses about her being ill like for my Maths teacher. Maths isn't too much of a problem as I'm still getting something out of it but it's History which is doing my head in and I don't know what to do.

I do want to move classes somehow but even if I do, I'll still end up with a different new teacher in the other History class who apparently rushes the lesson as well. For Maths, I'll try to see if I can move to another class after my mocks even if I don't do well as I had had enough of this BS.

Long term wise, I can't see myself remaining at my school's sixth form to be honest as I'm not really experiencing the student satisfaction and I believe I'll be better off at another sixth form but that is a decision which will be difficult to make.

In other news, Computing is giving me continuous stress as the A453 CA is literally making me physically and mentally sick. I spent two hours figuring out how to increment the word position by 1 and adding a validation statement by using if/else statements in a for loop and I just couldn't do it. Bad news is I have to make an algorithm for Task 1 and it'd due for Thursday whilst I need to get Task 1 completed by next week Thursday so it can count for my grade this term, as we're not doing a mock exam.

I doubt a teacher is allowed to retire in the middle of a term but they might have left with mutual agreement. It's good for you to have a plan of action and hopefully this can motivate you.
I'm almost definitely moving for sixth form. The maths department lost so many of their best teachers at the end of last year that there is only 3 left that I would be happy having (out of maybe 8 or 9). The chemistry department also isn't all of the best quality (my biology teacher teaches chemistry) so while I have a great teacher I wouldn't like to guarantee a teacher with whom I can get results. We have one of the best state sixth forms in the county which I would love to get in to but they do ballot entry for interviews (as long as you have the grades) so there's no guarentees with anything unfortunately. If I got an interview I'd like to think I had a decent chance.
I really wish I was doing the language you are doing just because I could help you. It makes me feel so helpless knowing you are struggling away and I can't help even though I'm taking the same subject.
Original post by Lemur14
I doubt a teacher is allowed to retire in the middle of a term but they might have left with mutual agreement. It's good for you to have a plan of action and hopefully this can motivate you.
I'm almost definitely moving for sixth form. The maths department lost so many of their best teachers at the end of last year that there is only 3 left that I would be happy having (out of maybe 8 or 9). The chemistry department also isn't all of the best quality (my biology teacher teaches chemistry) so while I have a great teacher I wouldn't like to guarantee a teacher with whom I can get results. We have one of the best state sixth forms in the county which I would love to get in to but they do ballot entry for interviews (as long as you have the grades) so there's no guarentees with anything unfortunately. If I got an interview I'd like to think I had a decent chance.
I really wish I was doing the language you are doing just because I could help you. It makes me feel so helpless knowing you are struggling away and I can't help even though I'm taking the same subject.

I'm not sure what's going on to be fair and what I've said are assumptions. In terms of sixth form, I already have in mind one school in particular that I would like to attend as they offer a wide range of subjects to study and have the best AS/A level results in the borough I'm from, however it wouldn't be an easy task getting in if I don't have the grades.

It's sad we're not with the same exam board and doing the same task as I'm struggling to cope with the demands of OCR's GCSE Computing and my teacher putting constant pressure on me, I probably couldn't fainted if I didn't have breakfast this morning.
Original post by JTran38
I'm not sure what's going on to be fair and what I've said are assumptions. In terms of sixth form, I already have in mind one school in particular that I would like to attend as they offer a wide range of subjects to study and have the best AS/A level results in the borough I'm from, however it wouldn't be an easy task getting in if I don't have the grades.

It's sad we're not with the same exam board and doing the same task as I'm struggling to cope with the demands of OCR's GCSE Computing and my teacher putting constant pressure on me, I probably couldn't fainted if I didn't have breakfast this morning.

Sometimes schools just act so obviously that while technically it is an assumption, it really is obvious (like them having given the cover teachers a permanent teacher's badge).
I think the sixth form I'm thinking of actually offers less subjects than my current school offers for GCSE (we literally had 34 options plus core subjects) so it's not just about the wide variety but the sixth form I want is top 100 in the UK so I'd love to get in.
I think part of my enjoyment of computing is that while yes, we have deadlines, they can be adjusted as necessary so it's much more relaxing than for example our stats coursework which has been left til the last minute and is due in next week!
Original post by Lemur14
Sometimes schools just act so obviously that while technically it is an assumption, it really is obvious (like them having given the cover teachers a permanent teacher's badge).
I think the sixth form I'm thinking of actually offers less subjects than my current school offers for GCSE (we literally had 34 options plus core subjects) so it's not just about the wide variety but the sixth form I want is top 100 in the UK so I'd love to get in.
I think part of my enjoyment of computing is that while yes, we have deadlines, they can be adjusted as necessary so it's much more relaxing than for example our stats coursework which has been left til the last minute and is due in next week!

Truss. The good thing about the sixth form I want to attend is that I get a wide range of subjects to choose from and that they're performing well in the borough with 100% A*-E pass rate and almost 80% for A*-C for A levels which is impressive.

In terms of Computing, programming is actually fun but I just hate having to do controlled assessment whereby you have to work independently and sit there in misery trying to work out lines of code and how to get a working solution for a task.
Original post by JTran38
Truss. The good thing about the sixth form I want to attend is that I get a wide range of subjects to choose from and that they're performing well in the borough with 100% A*-E pass rate and almost 80% for A*-C for A levels which is impressive.

In terms of Computing, programming is actually fun but I just hate having to do controlled assessment whereby you have to work independently and sit there in misery trying to work out lines of code and how to get a working solution for a task.

I think that might here our teachers have interpreted the rules differently. They say they are not allowed to help us (for obvious reasons) however we can talk to each other and help out with code etc. (as long as we don't send direct copies of either code or evidence). They can also give us feedback for the whole class, but not individual. Our class is really talkative (sometimes too much in our teacher's eyes) so we do a lot of stuff together. It's a shame there's no coding in the exam though as next year once the controlled assessment is finished we have to spend the entire time doing theory and revision which doesn't sound very interesting.
Original post by Lemur14
I think that might here our teachers have interpreted the rules differently. They say they are not allowed to help us (for obvious reasons) however we can talk to each other and help out with code etc. (as long as we don't send direct copies of either code or evidence). They can also give us feedback for the whole class, but not individual. Our class is really talkative (sometimes too much in our teacher's eyes) so we do a lot of stuff together. It's a shame there's no coding in the exam though as next year once the controlled assessment is finished we have to spend the entire time doing theory and revision which doesn't sound very interesting.

I think it's just the way people read the instructions lool. I regret doing Computing anyways as the CAs on programming are a pain in the neck whilst the theory work is usually easy but boring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending