The Student Room Group

How do I practice past papers for the new Science AS level specification?

As current Year 12s who are studying a science know, there are new specifications for science A-levels. Since we are the first year to do them, there are no past papers for this series. The specimen papers are available (for AQA at least) but of course that won't be enough for revision.

The problem is, if I do old past papers from the previous series I have to revise for them in a different order to the order of my series. For exam, for a 2013 Unit 1 test will cover topics from parts of Unit 1, parts of Unit 3 and parts of Unit 4, which will be difficult.

Any Ideas? :smile:
Reply 1
Maybe look at past threads? There's this really good thread for OCR Biology where they have put together practice question pack by topic. That way you could revise only what's in that topic for it?
Original post by champ_mc99
As current Year 12s who are studying a science know, there are new specifications for science A-levels. Since we are the first year to do them, there are no past papers for this series. The specimen papers are available (for AQA at least) but of course that won't be enough for revision.

The problem is, if I do old past papers from the previous series I have to revise for them in a different order to the order of my series. For exam, for a 2013 Unit 1 test will cover topics from parts of Unit 1, parts of Unit 3 and parts of Unit 4, which will be difficult.

Ask your teachers if they can get exampro, it puts questions together by topic from previous years, so you don't have to hunt through various old papers in search for questions you want.

Although, saying that, doing old papers in a different order may be beneficial, because you're less certain of what's going to come up and it acts as more of a synoptic paper.

Umm, I don't know how useful or relevant this is, but, I find http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ quite useful

Just have to do old spec past papers they are still very helpful. Also, there will be exam questions in exam board endorsed textbooks.
Reply 5
Original post by Jehaan
Maybe look at past threads? There's this really good thread for OCR Biology where they have put together practice question pack by topic. That way you could revise only what's in that topic for it?

Yeah, I'll try that. So far I've looked up AQA chemistry but instead of exam papers, I've found some decent revision guides. Will look up for physics and biology and hopefully, they'll have some of those threads. Cheers. :smile:

Original post by kingaaran
Ask your teachers if they can get exampro, it puts questions together by topic from previous years, so you don't have to hunt through various old papers in search for questions you want.

Although, saying that, doing old papers in a different order may be beneficial, because you're less certain of what's going to come up and it acts as more of a synoptic paper.

I think they do have exempro but i'll double check. And yeah, I guess you have a decent point about doing old papers as a general way of practice. Cheers :smile:
Original post by fandom-queen
Umm, I don't know how useful or relevant this is, but, I find http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ quite useful

Lol no (knew of this long ago :tongue:). But thanks anyway.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Just have to do old spec past papers they are still very helpful. Also, there will be exam questions in exam board endorsed textbooks.

I've done pretty much all the textbook ones. Yeah, I guess I can somehow make do with these old papers. Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest