The Student Room Group

FP2/3 Integration maths help!

Integral of sqrt of (1+t^2), using the substitution t=sinhx ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RockConcert
Integral of sqrt of (1+t^2), using the substitution t=sinhx ?

just think of it as a normal C4 t=sinx sub except be careful with the identities (you know how the hyperbolic identities differ slightly from the trig ones)
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ42
just think of it as a normal C4 t=sinx sub except be careful with the identities (you know how the hyperbolic identities differ slightly from the trig ones)

I keep trying with that approach but my answer is far too simple.. ( arsinht instead of 1/2(t(sqrt of (1+t^2))+arsinht) )
I keep trying with that approach but my answer is far too simple.. ( arsinht instead of 1/2(t(sqrt of (1+t^2))+arsinht) )

maybe im wrong, let me try it, 2 secs
integral becomes 1 + sinh^2(x)/cosh(x)

change 1 + sinh^2(x)
Reply 5

Show us your working. We can't help until you do.

Oh, and moved to maths.

okay got it, can you post some workings?

You put the differential in 'upside down' :smile:
Reply 8
IMG_0428.jpg

As above, it should be coshx1+sinh2xdx\int \cosh x \sqrt{1 + \sinh^2 x} \, \mathrm{d}x.
Dt=cosh(X)dx is what you needed

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got confused with your substitution. We want :

dt=dxcoshx \mathrm{d} t = \mathrm{d}x \cosh{x}

And the answer will follow using the hyperbolic equivalent of sin2θ=2cosθsinθ \sin{2\theta} = 2\cos{\theta} \sin{\theta}

You should have recognised your mistake right away as 1+t211+t2 \sqrt{1+t^2} \neq \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Louisb19

And the answer will follow using the hyperbolic equivalent of sin2θ=2cosθsinθ \sin{2\theta} = 2\cos{\theta} \sin{\theta}

Surely you mean cos2θ=2cos2θ1\cos 2\theta = 2\cos^2 \theta - 1?
Original post by Zacken
Surely you mean cos2θ=2cos2θ1\cos 2\theta = 2\cos^2 \theta - 1?

i think he means after the integration has been done, using that identity to get the answer into the correct form
Reply 13
cosh2x=2cosh2x1 \displaystyle \cosh 2x=2\cosh^2 x -1 .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
i think he means after the integration has been done, using that identity to get the answer into the correct form

Ah, okay. :facepalm:

true dat PRSOM
Original post by Louisb19
You got confused with your substitution. We want :

dt=dxcoshx \mathrm{d} t = \mathrm{d}x \cosh{x}

You should have recognised your mistake right away as 1+t211+t2 \sqrt{1+t^2} \neq \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} .

Ah thank you so much, that identity (sin2x) was the key! Man I'm not going to forget that identity again..
Ah thank you so much, that identity (sin2x) was the key! Man I'm not going to forget that identity again..

remember it with the h on the end too. cosh
Original post by EricPiphany
remember it with the h on the end too. cosh

Don't worry that was a typo, I did use sinh2x = 2sinhxcoshx in my solution. But thank you for your concern!
Don't worry that was a typo, I did use sinh2x = 2sinhxcoshx in my solution. But thank you for your concern!

You're welcome xxx

Quick Reply

Latest