The Student Room Group

Deaf Girl doesn't get disability benefit.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L i b
To clarify the slightly ratty reply you got from a previous contributor about this: Disability Living Allowance or the Personal Independence Payment is an in-work benefit - it's paid equally to people who can and cannot work to accommodate the additional costs of their disability. So, for example, even though you may work, it may cost you more to get around if you have a relevant disability. It pays for that.

Employment and Support Allowance is the out-of-work benefit for sick people. It is what used to be called an incapacity benefit.

That said, your essential point is true: the additional costs of disability are not clear here, particularly given a great deal of equipment and support can be provided either by the NHS or the local authority.

Contrary to what people believe, NHS and local authority don't cover every single cost. And then there's human help which costs money too.
Reply 61
Original post by Tiger Rag
Contrary to what people believe, NHS and local authority don't cover every single cost. And then there's human help which costs money too.

In many cases, they do. With partial deafness particularly, if it could be helped by NHS treatment and perhaps some sort of helpful additions to the home provided by the local authority, then there'd be no call for regular disability benefits.

Human help is quite a different thing. Social care is a local authority responsibility, meanwhile carers and the like get separate benefits.
Original post by L i b
In many cases, they do. With partial deafness particularly, if it could be helped by NHS treatment and perhaps some sort of helpful additions to the home provided by the local authority, then there'd be no call for regular disability benefits.

Human help is quite a different thing. Social care is a local authority responsibility, meanwhile carers and the like get separate benefits.

NHS only pay for the basic items though. So, if you need (not want) something more expensive, you have to pay for it.

I should know these things. I have spent the last 4 years living with a hearing impairment. And I've just been diagnosed with something else too. I've had nothing supplied by the local authority or NHS and have had to pay for everything I need.

Not everyone will get social care. I don't; so if I need help, I have to pay for it, somehow. And you can only get carers benefits if the person you're caring for gets certain disability benefits in the first place.
Reply 63
NHS only pay for the basic items though. So, if you need (not want) something more expensive, you have to pay for it.

I should know these things. I have spent the last 4 years living with a hearing impairment. And I've just been diagnosed with something else too. I've had nothing supplied by the local authority or NHS and have had to pay for everything I need.

Not everyone will get social care. I don't; so if I need help, I have to pay for it, somehow. And you can only get carers benefits if the person you're caring for gets certain disability benefits in the first place.

A shortfall in the support the NHS or local authority should provide doesn't really entitle a person to disability living allowance or PIP.
Original post by L i b
A shortfall in the support the NHS or local authority should provide doesn't really entitle a person to disability living allowance or PIP.

But that's the sort of thing it's intended for
Original post by L i b

I think Margret Thatcher would disagree with you on that. Too bad she has passed away because I would of loved to screen shot your comment and send it to her. Maybe I'll send it to her daughter. See what she thinks.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I think Margret Thatcher would disagree with you on that. Too bad she has passed away because I would of loved to screen shot your comment and send it to her. Maybe I'll send it to her daughter. See what she thinks.

What in god's name are you talking about?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
What in god's name are you talking about?

Thatcher is one who introduced the Independent Living Fund as a means of bring in care in the community. Disability Living Allowance followed soon after it as a benefit for people who suffered from less severe disabilities.
Reply 68

You're a ****ing fruitcake.
Original post by L i b
You're a ****ing fruitcake.

Resulting to insults are we

Maybe because me & Tiger Rag caught you out? Oh your like rutting Stag aren't you. Oh suits you sir! suits you!

Original post by L i b

But that's the sort of thing it's intended for

Thatcher is one who introduced the Independent Living Fund as a means of bring in care in the community. Disability Living Allowance followed soon after it as a benefit for people who suffered from less severe disabilities.

(Note to admin this guy insulted me first).

[video="youtube;4EVFdPjFR5s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EVFdPjFR5s[/video]
Reply 70
Resulting to insults are we

Coming from a man who started a thread about Priti Patel entitled "Wicked Witch of Witham, Essex", that's really quite rich.
Original post by L i b
Coming from a man who started a thread about Priti Patel entitled "Wicked Witch of Witham, Essex", that's really quite rich.

:O)

[video="youtube;qi9XM-GtPhI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9XM-GtPhI[/video]

Eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending