The Student Room Group

When you get married do you want your own separate bank account ?

Scroll to see replies

Both

Joint for the house, for things we need together

And personal for things I want for myself like clothes, makeup etc ETC ETC
Both. One for bills,vacations,general household bills including groceries.
And one for my own savings/spending. I'm 24
Original post by claireestelle
Both, We have a joint account and our own separate accounts so think we'll keep it that way when we're married, it works out well for paying rent and bills but we can buy things just for ourselves with our individual accounts if we want to :smile: I'm almost 21.

This is the best way to do it.

Why in Galileo would I choose to have a separate account if we're married? Seems v strange to me. :s-smilie:

+ What's wrong with buying personal things on a joint account..
Original post by thegohst
This is the best way to do it.

Why?

Original post by Anon_98

Why in Galileo would I choose to have a separate account if we're married? Seems v strange to me. :s-smilie:

What's wrong with buying personal things on a joint account..

Well you will already have separate accounts. So the question is, why bother making a joint one? Why do people think that paying bills from a joint account is any different to paying them from your separate accounts.

I'm surprised tbh. I have 0 plans to ever have a joint account. Just don't need it.
Reply 25
My ex-husband and I kept entirely separate accounts. I had a fantastic credit record while his was shot, so it made no sense to create a financial link between us. I had access to decent rates for borrowing etc. Everything was shared, just not as far as the bank was concerned. I'm 31, and I suggest everyone have a **** off fund as well as any joint account if you so chose.
http://tinyurl.com/zturcoy
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
I'm way too cynical for that, one always needs complete independence because you never know when an ally becomes an enemy.
Original post by e aí rapaz

Well you will already have separate accounts. So the question is, why bother making a joint one? Why do people think that paying bills from a joint account is any different to paying them from your separate accounts.

I'm surprised tbh. I have 0 plans to ever have a joint account. Just don't need it.

Personally, I think that making a joint account shows commitment. - If you're going to be married forever then what's the harm in making an account for both of you. Idk, I just find it cute + stuff. :'3
It'd possibly be much easier + fairer when paying for shared items too though.

Hm, well I don't think anybody needs it, as such- it just adds more strength to your marriage? :dontknow:
21. There's no way I would have separate bank accounts. Going out for a meal or something and having to split the bill, or mortgage payments and what about if my wife was earning much less than me could just make things awkward. I don't think it would be healthy for a marriage. Its about wanting to be together (in an idea world) for the rest of your life, if you can't commit to sharing your finances I don't think you should be getting married.
Original post by xobeauty
Or shared?

And why?... And disclose your age.

Shared, because I want to be able to trust him in everything, also my parents have a shared account so I personally know it works as an option for married couples :smile: I'm 16 this summer btw.
Original post by dean01234
21. There's no way I would have separate bank accounts. Going out for a meal or something and having to split the bill, or mortgage payments and what about if my wife was earning much less than me could just make things awkward. I don't think it would be healthy for a marriage. Its about wanting to be together (in an idea world) for the rest of your life, if you can't commit to sharing your finances I don't think you should be getting married.

Lol why would we split the bill at a restaurant? Sometimes I pay, sometimes she does. She pays the mortgage, I pay for the car. She pays phone bills, I pay health insurance, etc. it's all split.

Our finances are completely shared. But opening a joint account just to pay money into it before paying for things (aka an extra, unnecessary step) is just a pointless hassle.
Original post by samina_ay
Individual account - cos wtf he isn't allowed to touch my hard earned money!!

This is absurd..

Surely it should be "our" rather than "my" money? You may have earned it but if you're married then you're, like.. together and holding that attitude for someone you're supposed to love for eternity sounds like worrying behaviour. >.>

btw "he" doesn't exist.

Story of my life
Original post by e aí rapaz
Lol why would we split the bill at a restaurant? Sometimes I pay, sometimes she does. She pays the mortgage, I pay for the car. She pays phone bills, I pay health insurance, etc. it's all split.

Our finances are completely shared. But opening a joint account just to pay money into it before paying for things (aka an extra, unnecessary step) is just a pointless hassle.

It was more to make a point, but that is essentially what you're doing anyway. I disagree, I don't think you can say that your finances are completely shared.

Laziness is fine as an excuse for a while (even though its not exactly time consuming) but by not sharing an account you then add the unnecessary step of having to divide up expenditure. And when you look at the amount of people on this thread who want separate accounts for privacy, I would be very uncomfortable getting married to someone who was dead set on keeping everything separate.
After all, sharing is caring :yep:
Original post by dean01234
It was more to make a point, but that is essentially what you're doing anyway. I disagree, I don't think you can say that your finances are completely shared.

Laziness is fine as an excuse for a while (even though its not exactly time consuming) but by not sharing an account you then add the unnecessary step of having to divide up expenditure. And when you look at the amount of people on this thread who want separate accounts for privacy, I would be very uncomfortable getting married to someone who was dead set on keeping everything separate.

We've never even contemplated it tbh. Neither one of us has ever brought up the idea of it. And the division was pretty organic, it's not like we sat down and specifically divided bills up. It was just like, "oh we're signing for a mortgage, well you have a lot of free money in your account, so let's pay it from there", and "we need to buy a fridge, I have loads of money in my account right now so I'll pay with my card", etc.

Also, even if getting a joint account is not a HUGE effort, it's still more than zero effort. And if there is literally no reason for us to do it, then any effort is a waste of time tbh.
Original post by Anon_98
This is absurd..

Surely it should be "our" rather than "my" money? You may have earned it but if you're married then you're, like.. together and holding that attitude for someone you're supposed to love for eternity sounds like worrying behaviour. >.>

Lmao whatever, my job, my money and my hardwork.
Lmao whatever, my job, my money and my hardwork.

Alright.. :K:
Depends on the person, would never get married in a massive hurry but ideally what's mine is theirs and what's theirs is mine, they'll know what we can afford so if we've not got much disposable obviously I'm going to get the hump about a Gucci handbag appearing out of the blue, but hopefully I won't marry someone like that.

At the end of the day 'hard work' is still some fat cat ripping you off, unless you're the boss and doing it to someone else... might as well reap the benefits together.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anon_98
Alright.. :K:

But that doesnt mean i won't contribute to bills and stuff. I just want to be incharge of my own earnings... nothing wrong with that is there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending