The Student Room Group

Fractional laser for acne scars.

Has anyone done fractional laser for facial acne scars ? Did it work?
I had it done for scars on my arm.
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
I had it done for scars on my arm.

How did it go? Does it look better now?
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking but if you're scared of going through with doing laser for your acne scars, there are a lot of ways to get rid of scars without it. I had the worst scars ever, and they're nearly gone. Trust me, they were bad, like 7 years of severe acne bad.
Original post by deniakp
How did it go? Does it look better now?

The parts that have been lasered look a fair bit better. The dermatologist told me it would take 3 or 4 passings of the laser over each part of the scarring to get the best result.

I've only had 2 sections done and the scars there look noticeably different to the sections that haven't been lasered yet.

Word of warning though, the laser makes your skin bleed and for the first 2 weeks after getting it the scars are bright red and extremely noticeable. You'd also need to apply vaseline 2 or 3 times a day. I also cover mine with bandages to keep the vaseline from drying out - you have to keep them moist in order to get the best result. It also hurts quite a lot when actually being lasered.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by akj.latif
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking but if you're scared of going through with doing laser for your acne scars, there are a lot of ways to get rid of scars without it. I had the worst scars ever, and they're nearly gone. Trust me, they were bad, like 7 years of severe acne bad.

well it's not that I'm scared of going through this, I just want to be sure that my skin will really get better after this and not worse, as I've read both good and bad things.. How did you get rid of your scars?
Reply 6
The parts that have been lasered look a fair bit better. The dermatologist told me it would take 3 or 4 passings of the laser over each part of the scarring to get the best result.

I've only had 2 sections done and the scars there look noticeably different to the sections that haven't been lasered yet.

Word of warning though, the laser makes your skin bleed and for the first 2 weeks after getting it the scars are bright red and extremely noticeable. You'd also need to apply vaseline 2 or 3 times a day. I also cover mine with bandages to keep the vaseline from drying out - you have to keep them moist in order to get the best result. It also hurts quite a lot when actually being lasered.

Mhm ok, thanks :smile: Also about the "bleeding thing" after the laser, does it happen to everyone or just to some people? maybe with sensitive skin etc
Original post by deniakp
Mhm ok, thanks :smile: Also about the "bleeding thing" after the laser, does it happen to everyone or just to some people? maybe with sensitive skin etc

I'm pretty sure that everyone bleeds. I saw one woman post-laser on her face and chest and there were huge red, oozing patches.

Actually I found this: http://www.spdermacenter.com/FraxelCo2.html
The accident postprocedure is most like how mine look directly after. The laser creates squares about 4mm across each filled with tiny dots - you can best see them on the postprocedure acne picture although mine didn't go anywhere near that red.

It is also vital that you keep the lasered patches out of the sun so you may want to do it before the summer.
Original post by deniakp
well it's not that I'm scared of going through this, I just want to be sure that my skin will really get better after this and not worse, as I've read both good and bad things.. How did you get rid of your scars?

You will have to have a LOT of patience though. Exfoliation and lots of it is key. It will essentially be able to peel off your skin. I can recommend a couple products to you if you want, all natural so that it won't break you out or react badly. I have very sensitive skin, so I'm careful with my products. So basically exfoliation 2 times a day, and derma-rolling once a week with a good vitamin E, and rosehip oil serum. Derma-rolling is amazing, and it's really easy to find a Dermaroller for 5 or 10 pounds.

I can PM you before and after pics within the span of just 8-9 months. The difference is amazing. It still has room to go, but the fact is that it works without the harsh effects of a laser.
Reply 9
I'm pretty sure that everyone bleeds. I saw one woman post-laser on her face and chest and there were huge red, oozing patches.

Actually I found this: http://www.spdermacenter.com/FraxelCo2.html
The accident postprocedure is most like how mine look directly after. The laser creates squares about 4mm across each filled with tiny dots - you can best see them on the postprocedure acne picture although mine didn't go anywhere near that red.

It is also vital that you keep the lasered patches out of the sun so you may want to do it before the summer.

well that was really helpful! Thank you :h:
Reply 10
Original post by akj.latif
You will have to have a LOT of patience though. Exfoliation and lots of it is key. It will essentially be able to peel off your skin. I can recommend a couple products to you if you want, all natural so that it won't break you out or react badly. I have very sensitive skin, so I'm careful with my products. So basically exfoliation 2 times a day, and derma-rolling once a week with a good vitamin E, and rosehip oil serum. Derma-rolling is amazing, and it's really easy to find a Dermaroller for 5 or 10 pounds.

I can PM you before and after pics within the span of just 8-9 months. The difference is amazing. It still has room to go, but the fact is that it works without the harsh effects of a laser.

Alright, I'll check out those products!
And yes, if you could PM me pics , that would be great! :^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest