The Student Room Group

Is attraction the most important thing in a relationship

I rightfully think so, as I struggle to see in how personality alone would drive a person to commit to relationship.

Scroll to see replies

I feel that attraction is an important factor. I'd still value personality over attraction, however in order for a relationship to be the best it could be, attraction is an important factor indeed. :h:
Everyone knows attraction is the major key and overrides personality any day.
while attraction is an important part of a relationship I think trust and respect are equally, if not more important
I think attraction is important of course :smile: but personality is too; if two people have very opposite personalities I don't think a committed relationship would work. (That's just my opinion).
Well, attraction is about more than somebody's physical appearance. This being said, attraction probably is the most important thing as it is what maintains the bond. If somebody becomes unkind, or lies, the effect on how much I am attracted to them will be far larger than if they changed their hair in a way I don't like, or gained/lost weight for example.

If you mean only physical attraction then no, I don't think so, but I do think it plays an important part in why people get together and thus is particularly important at the outset. I have grown to be attracted to people physically as a product of being attracted to them personally.
I agree! Without any physical attraction you are just friends lol.
At the core of it yes, attraction is needed :h: but once that level of attractiveness is reached on your scale, personality automatically takes over for me rather than further attractiveness past the sufficient need:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Attraction in general or physical attraction? Eeeh. I've met guys before and had zero attraction to them on any level but once I got to know their personality and their quirks I suddenly found them extremely physically, mentally and emotionally attractive.

So I guess attraction in general is very important but basing whether you're attracted to someone or not purely on their looks or on your first few interactions with them isn't accurate, I don't think.
Reply 9
Original post by samina_ay

Yes but we have tsr members who would say they date a gargoyle that has the correct personality.

what? are people serious?

even for a fling id say personality...

lots of people are attractive...its the little details about their personality and how they express themselves that are the game changers for me.
I think attraction is the most important thing at first in order to develop feelings for someone that can then result in a relationship and once you are in a relationship with someone, being attracted to them is still important but other aspects about a person such as their attitude, personality and values become just as important, or even more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trustmeimlying1

lots of people are attractive...its the little details about their personality and how they express themselves that are the game changers for me.

:yep: Personality is much more important than how attractive someone is. I do think attraction is very important in the sense of being attracted to that person's personality and who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personality is part of attraction. However, physical repulsion is also a thing :lol:

#sarcasm

:facepalm:

do you read a lot of samina's posts

she's rather reasonable and also sarcastic 9/10 times
Original post by somesomebody
:facepalm:

do you read a lot of samina's posts

she's rather reasonable and also sarcastic 9/10 times

You on my level :wink:

Aw thats deep.
You on my level :wink:

If I didn't read your posts I'd assume you're being serious as well but I feel you weren't :wink:
I find myself becoming attracted to a person's physical characteristics because of their personality. Even if the person isn't 'conventionally' attractive, I start to think of my crush as beautiful because of the little things they do that make me smile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending