The Student Room Group

Should I go ahead with my A level choices?

I am in year 11 and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and also hold 4 sixth form offers to study these. I have the ability to get the topic grades in these but just hate the subjects also I planned on studying medicine.

I am a person who loves the humanities side than science, but I am afraid to do A levels in the humanities fearing I won't get the same opportunities with a humanities or law degree as I would with a science degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Medicine is not something you want to be applying for if you hate those subjects - why do you want to do this?

You'll end up depressed and hating sixth form, so do the subjects that you love! There's a better chance of you getting a good job with a humanities degree rather than no degree at all (because you got UUU at A level after forcing yourself to do subjects you don't like).
Reply 2
Original post by h8skoooooool
Medicine is not something you want to be applying for if you hate those subjects - why do you want to do this?

You'll end up depressed and hate sixth form, so do the subjects that you love! There's a better chance of you getting a good job with a humanities degree rather than no degree at all (because you got UUU at A level after forcing yourself to do subjects you don't like).

I am predicted AAA at GCSE in the Sciences and also been told by my teachers that considering my ability A level would not be too unrealistic to me. I keep on hearing that science has better prospects but I hate the sciences and Maths with passion. In the real world I can't only live on my passion I need a real job with the degree and unsure if a humanities or law degree would provide the same opportunities.
Original post by Tinka99
I am predicted AAA at GCSE in the Sciences and also been told by my teachers that considering my ability A level would not be too unrealistic to me. I keep on hearing that science has better prospects but I hate the sciences and Maths with passion. In the real world I can't only live on my passion I need a real job with the degree and unsure if a humanities or law degree would provide the same opportunities.

If you hate sciences why would you want to spend 2 years learning about them at A level, maybe another 5 years if you did med and then potentially the rest of your life doing them. Career prospects are all well and good but if you hate what you're doing what's the point
The comment above is completely right, @Tinka99 - take it from someone who's had personal experience. I took Bio, Chem, Maths and Psychology thinking I'd be better off, AND I was strong in those subjects at GCSE. I hated them, I was awful at them and ended up getting EEUU. Now I've repeated year 12 doing Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and my grades are much better - not because they are 'easy', because God knows how much I struggled with Sociology, but because I liked them.
If you really want to do something you go and work your bloody socks off to get it.
It doesn't matter how hard it is, how boring it is, how soul destroying it is - if you really want to do it you'll force your way through it.
Obviously if you hate it and think you'll do badly then I don't think its a wise decision as you will be pretty unhappy for two years.

If you think you can get the grades but you hate the subjects then all I can say is that it won't be an easy journey.
You are going to have to sit through hours of lessons learning stuff you hate.
I personally wouldn't do A levels that I hated. Maybe swap physics & maths with a humanities subject to make it bearable?

As the above posters have said, its not really a good decision going ahead with those a levels if you hate them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would really advise against studying subjects which you hate (especially at A Level and even more so at degree level), you're unlikely to do well if you don't like what you're studying. I would highly recommend doing the subjects you enjoy - you're more likely to do well in them, and there's no reason why you couldn't get a good job if you work for it hard enough, regardless of whether you're studying sciences or humanities :smile:
Original post by Tinka99

I'm sorry but that's insane - you hate something with a passion, yet you are willing to dedicate the next 5 - 7 years of your life studying it (depending on whether you do a BSc or a degree in medicine)? And then possibly doing it for the rest of your life? Don't you love yourself?

There are plenty of jobs out there for people with humanities degrees, because you learn so many transferable skills that are useful in most careers. I don't understand why you think your career prospects will be so greatly damaged by not doing science?

Also don't assume that just because you are targeted a AAA at GCSE science you will be on the same level at AS or A2. Getting grades like that will require hard work, which can be hard if you hate your subjects.
Do not take these subjects - if your idea of hell is two years studying science then do not spend two years studying science. English Literature, Geography, and History are all facilitating subjects in the humanities held in high regard by universities.

Think of it this way: if you took the subjects that you really want to, you could get four A*s and study Law at Oxford (just an example), with fantastic job prospects as a result, and you will be so much happier because you are doing something that you like. Stop worrying about job prospects - employers want to see motivated, enthusiastic staff, and if what you are doing does not make you feel enthusiastic then you are doing the wrong thing!

All the best in your future! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by h8skoooooool
I'm sorry but that's insane - you hate something with a passion, yet you are willing to dedicate the next 5 - 7 years of your life studying it (depending on whether you do a BSc or a degree in medicine)? And then possibly doing it for the rest of your life? Don't you love yourself?

There are plenty of jobs out there for people with humanities degrees, because you learn so many transferable skills that are useful in most careers. I don't understand why you think your career prospects will be so greatly damaged by not doing science?

Also don't assume that just because you are targeted a AAA at GCSE science you will be on the same level at AS or A2. Getting grades like that will require hard work, which can be hard if you hate your subjects.

I love myself that's why I want a good lifestyle for myself with enough money to be able to live it. I would pursue a humanities or law degree anytime. I kept getting told by people that degrees more on the arts and humanities side are not worth it.

What do you think about a History or Law degree? what are the career prospects like?
Original post by Tinka99

I can guarantee that you will drop out of sixth form by the end of the first term.

Hating one A-level is bad enough... all four? No chance.

You need to seriously reconsider your options.
Original post by Tinka99
I love myself that's why I want a good lifestyle for myself with enough money to be able to live it. I would pursue a humanities or law degree anytime. I kept getting told by people that degrees more on the arts and humanities side are not worth it.

What do you think about a History or Law degree? what are the career prospects like?

Law degrees are good providing you do well and you go to a decent uni where you can progress. History too.

Degrees in the humanities do not translate into sub-standard careers. You will get a better job getting say AAB at A-level in subjects you enjoy, with a 2:1 in something you enjoy and work experience in a job you want to do than getting EEE at A-level with no degree and no work experience.
Original post by Tinka99

Ignore people that tell you this - there are some idiots who say that only STEM degrees are worthwhile but most of them are just snobs or they haven't even left high school yet. If you go to a good university and get a decent degree for history or law then your job prospects are good. Maybe check out some courses you are interested in and see the unistats (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/) data for employment if you want to reassure yourself.
I do biology (dropped chem) after getting As in biology im still getting Us and trying toget my legover the E boundary. I chose sciences to open career paths, but actually because my passion really isn't strong enough I'm closing them with bad grades. Trust me on this one, please PLEASEtake subjects you're 1) good at and 2) currently enjoying- sixth form requires tonnes of dedication and not just "lol i'll open a text book, learn the page, do some questions, bam A* for me (:" at all
I think that if you don't enjoy the subjects, you will be less motivated to work for them and won't do as well. Humanities are greatly respected, you just need to choose the right degree.
Remember that if you don't enjoy sciences, you will hate your job for the rest of your life
Reply 15
Original post by ImagineCats
I do biology (dropped chem) after getting As in biology im still getting Us and trying toget my legover the E boundary. I chose sciences to open career paths, but actually because my passion really isn't strong enough I'm closing them with bad grades. Trust me on this one, please PLEASEtake subjects you're 1) good at and 2) currently enjoying- sixth form requires tonnes of dedication and not just "lol i'll open a text book, learn the page, do some questions, bam A* for me (:" at all

Did you do double or triple science at GCSE and what grades did you get?
Reply 16
Original post by surina16
I think that if you don't enjoy the subjects, you will be less motivated to work for them and won't do as well. Humanities are greatly respected, you just need to choose the right degree.
Remember that if you don't enjoy sciences, you will hate your job for the rest of your life

I have seen you before on here the ISA thread?
Original post by Tinka99
I am in year 11 and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and also hold 4 sixth form offers to study these. I have the ability to get the topic grades in these but just hate the subjects also I planned on studying medicine.

I am a person who loves the humanities side than science, but I am afraid to do A levels in the humanities fearing I won't get the same opportunities with a humanities or law degree as I would with a science degree.

May I ask which subjects you do find interesting?
Original post by Tinka99
Did you do double or triple science at GCSE and what grades did you get?

Double- BB- individually both years were A* ISA, A biology, B chemistry, C physics
Reply 19
Original post by BasicMistake
May I ask which subjects you do find interesting?

I love GCSE History and Philosophy and Ethics and would also prefer subjects such as Law, Economics, Government and Politics and English Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest